Suddenly Can't Print .. no clue why

Snuffy2

Suddenly Can't Print .. no clue why

So I've got a problem I just don't know how to resolve or further debug.

I've got a Thinkpad Laptop running Vista x64 Ultimate. I reinstalled
the OS ~3 weeks ago and installed my print drivers. I have 2 network
printers and I also use doPDF to create PDFs. All of these were working
just fine.

Today they are not printing correctly, but not in a way I can figure
out. Applications give me an error saying there is an unknown error or
that there is no default printer installed. This happens in Firefox,
OpenOffice, Acrobat, Thunderbird and others.

The weird thing is that if I goto control panel and try to print a test
page with any of the printers it works fine. In addition, I can print
txt files from both Notepad & Wordpad, but still not from Openoffice.

So why is it I can print simple txt files & test pages but not from the
apps I need to print from. BTW this happens for all the printers I have
installed including the 2 network printers, the local PDf printer
(doPDF), & the XPS printer. These all worked last time I printed (a few
days ago), but not today.

What can I do to ideally fix this or at least better debg this?

Thanx

--
Snuffy2
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Suddenly Can't Print .. no clue why
First thing I'd do is use System Restore to return a couple of days ago to
when all seemed OK. Then while it's running and printing OK, look at what
you are downloading/installing/updating and see which app is causing the
problem.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows