Scanning problems with HP All-in-one

civ2ru

Scanning problems with HP All-in-one
Hello everyone!

First off, I run Windows Vista Home Premium (32). I've used my HP Photosmart
C4280 printer for about 2 years, worked fine for the most part. Lately I
started having problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver &
software (got the latest versions from HP download site). Since reinstall, my
scanner isn't working. Whether I press the "Scan" button on the unit, or I
select "Scan picture" or "Scan document" from the HP Solution Center, an
error pops up: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device.
Please ensure that the printing device is properly connected and try again".

I've downloaded and run HP Print Diagnostic Utility and it didn't find
anything. Also, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers/software several
times, cleaned temporary files and registry, still the problem persists.

Having said that, the printing/copying works fine, so I know that the
printer is properly connected.

BTW, tried connecting the same printer to a friend's PC running Windows XP
and it scans with no problem, so the issue must have something to do with HP
interacting (non-interacting) with Vista.

Please help!
DL

Re: Scanning problems with HP All-in-one
If you have uninstalled software / driver you would need to reinstall as
though it was a completely new installation, which usually means installing
software, before connecting the printer when the installation process
requests that you do so.
Did you do that?
I also believe HP provide a utility to commpletely remove there drivers,
prior to a reinstallation.
HP also provides instant chat support

"civ2ru" <civ2ru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone!
>
> First off, I run Windows Vista Home Premium (32). I've used my HP
> Photosmart
> C4280 printer for about 2 years, worked fine for the most part. Lately I
> started having problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver &
> software (got the latest versions from HP download site). Since reinstall,
> my
> scanner isn't working. Whether I press the "Scan" button on the unit, or I
> select "Scan picture" or "Scan document" from the HP Solution Center, an
> error pops up: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device.
> Please ensure that the printing device is properly connected and try
> again".
>
> I've downloaded and run HP Print Diagnostic Utility and it didn't find
> anything. Also, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers/software several
> times, cleaned temporary files and registry, still the problem persists.
>
> Having said that, the printing/copying works fine, so I know that the
> printer is properly connected.
>
> BTW, tried connecting the same printer to a friend's PC running Windows XP
> and it scans with no problem, so the issue must have something to do with
> HP
> interacting (non-interacting) with Vista.
>
> Please help!

civ2ru

Re: Scanning problems with HP All-in-one
Yes, I've reinstalled the software before reconnecting the printer, according
to the software prompts. Also, prior to that I've used the HP Install package
to perform complete uninstallation, and I've also removed printer from
Devices, deleted temporary files and cleaned registry as well. The error
persists.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

"DL" wrote:

> If you have uninstalled software / driver you would need to reinstall as
> though it was a completely new installation, which usually means installing
> software, before connecting the printer when the installation process
> requests that you do so.
> Did you do that?
> I also believe HP provide a utility to commpletely remove there drivers,
> prior to a reinstallation.
> HP also provides instant chat support
>
> "civ2ru" <civ2ru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > First off, I run Windows Vista Home Premium (32). I've used my HP
> > Photosmart
> > C4280 printer for about 2 years, worked fine for the most part. Lately I
> > started having problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver &
> > software (got the latest versions from HP download site). Since reinstall,
> > my
> > scanner isn't working. Whether I press the "Scan" button on the unit, or I
> > select "Scan picture" or "Scan document" from the HP Solution Center, an
> > error pops up: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device.
> > Please ensure that the printing device is properly connected and try
> > again".
> >
> > I've downloaded and run HP Print Diagnostic Utility and it didn't find
> > anything. Also, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers/software several
> > times, cleaned temporary files and registry, still the problem persists.
> >
> > Having said that, the printing/copying works fine, so I know that the
> > printer is properly connected.
> >
> > BTW, tried connecting the same printer to a friend's PC running Windows XP
> > and it scans with no problem, so the issue must have something to do with
> > HP
> > interacting (non-interacting) with Vista.
> >
> > Please help!

DL

Re: Scanning problems with HP All-in-one
HP help, direct

> Yes, I've reinstalled the software before reconnecting the printer,
> according
> to the software prompts. Also, prior to that I've used the HP Install
> package
> to perform complete uninstallation, and I've also removed printer from
> Devices, deleted temporary files and cleaned registry as well. The error
> persists.
>
> Any other suggestions, anyone?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> If you have uninstalled software / driver you would need to reinstall as
>> though it was a completely new installation, which usually means
>> installing
>> software, before connecting the printer when the installation process
>> requests that you do so.
>> Did you do that?
>> I also believe HP provide a utility to commpletely remove there drivers,
>> prior to a reinstallation.
>> HP also provides instant chat support
>>
>> "civ2ru" <civ2ru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello everyone!
>> >
>> > First off, I run Windows Vista Home Premium (32). I've used my HP
>> > Photosmart
>> > C4280 printer for about 2 years, worked fine for the most part. Lately
>> > started having problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver &
>> > software (got the latest versions from HP download site). Since
>> > reinstall,
>> > my
>> > scanner isn't working. Whether I press the "Scan" button on the unit,
>> > or I
>> > select "Scan picture" or "Scan document" from the HP Solution Center,
>> > an
>> > error pops up: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning
>> > device.
>> > Please ensure that the printing device is properly connected and try
>> > again".
>> >
>> > I've downloaded and run HP Print Diagnostic Utility and it didn't find
>> > anything. Also, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers/software
>> > several
>> > times, cleaned temporary files and registry, still the problem
>> > persists.
>> >
>> > Having said that, the printing/copying works fine, so I know that the
>> > printer is properly connected.
>> >
>> > BTW, tried connecting the same printer to a friend's PC running Windows
>> > XP
>> > and it scans with no problem, so the issue must have something to do
>> > with
>> > HP
>> > interacting (non-interacting) with Vista.
>> >
>> > Please help!

kmb

Re: Scanning problems with HP All-in-one

My IT person and I have uninstalled 10 times. We contact HP and they do
not have a fix for the scanner to work with Vista. My Dell is 64 bit
and that is specifically HP does not have a fix. They have known of the
problem for a year. Why they are not addressing?
I have to go out and buy a scanner that will communicate with my 64 bit
Dell Vista.

I am afraid there is not a fix.

--
kmb