Trying to print from laptop to Mac Printer

Malke

Re: Trying to print from laptop to Mac Printer
Mother Hubbard wrote:

> I'm trying to print wirelessly from my Vista Laptop to an Epson printer
> which is connected to an imac. I've downed Bonjour for Windows and
> selected the generic driver. Everything seems to go well until the final
> step at which point I get a message saying I don't have enough access
> priviledges. I have fine and printer sharing turned on on the Mac. I can
> see the Mac and the Printer from the laptop. I'm using an Airport
> Extreme. My life would be simpler if I could solve this problem. Thanks
> for any suggestions.

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this.

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Vista Business/Ultimate only -
Start Orb>Search box>type: secpol.msc
When secpol.msc appears in Results above, right-click it and "run as
administrator".

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per MVP Steve Winograd,
do:

Start Orb>Search box>type: regedit
When regedit appears in the Results above, right-click it and "run as
administrator"

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel
2. Set the value to 1 and reboot.

Now share the printer on the iMac and install Windows drivers for it on the
Windows machine. The printer should be seen during the installation
routine.

Malke
--
MS-MVP