Vista 64 fax drivers

supplysider

Vista 64 fax drivers
I have a setup where we have been using windows server 2003 small
business(32bit) as our faxing sollution over the netowrk.. we recently
upgraded our clients to vista 64 ultimate edition and our fax driver can't be
intalled.

the install driver command comes up.. but when it is clicked nothing happens
the screen disappears.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
install the 64bit fax driver onto the server

1. How to Set up Fax driver files for cross-architecture clients

The following is the procedure to install cross architecture drivers :

i. Right click on the Fax printer in "Printers" page and
share the fax printer.

ii. Click on 'Additional Drivers' and select the
architecture for which you want to install fax printer drivers for.

iii. It will prompt for a Setup information file (Inf file) .

iv. Copy the
%windir%\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnms 002.inf_* from a machine
of the architecture which you are trying to install.

v. Select the prnms002.inf from the share jus copied. (this
is the fax printer driver installation INF).

vi. This should successfully install the necessary cross
architecture Fax printer drivers in the server.

vii. Check for the presence of the installed architecture in
%windir%\system32\spool\drivers\ directory.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"supplysider" <supplysider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a setup where we have been using windows server 2003 small
> business(32bit) as our faxing sollution over the netowrk.. we recently
> upgraded our clients to vista 64 ultimate edition and our fax driver can't
> be
> intalled.
>
> the install driver command comes up.. but when it is clicked nothing
> happens
> the screen disappears.

supplysider

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
I have tried that before, it won't allow me to add the file.. the only check
spot available is for a different processor architecture. so I get an error.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> install the 64bit fax driver onto the server
>
> 1. How to Set up Fax driver files for cross-architecture clients
>

> The following is the procedure to install cross architecture drivers :
>
> i. Right click on the Fax printer in "Printers" page and
> share the fax printer.
>
> ii. Click on 'Additional Drivers' and select the
> architecture for which you want to install fax printer drivers for.
>
> iii. It will prompt for a Setup information file (Inf file) .
>
> iv. Copy the
> %windir%\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnms 002.inf_* from a machine
> of the architecture which you are trying to install.
>
> v. Select the prnms002.inf from the share jus copied. (this
> is the fax printer driver installation INF).
>
> vi. This should successfully install the necessary cross
> architecture Fax printer drivers in the server.
>
> vii. Check for the presence of the installed architecture in
> %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\ directory.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "supplysider" <supplysider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a setup where we have been using windows server 2003 small
> > business(32bit) as our faxing sollution over the netowrk.. we recently
> > upgraded our clients to vista 64 ultimate edition and our fax driver can't
> > be
> > intalled.
> >
> > the install driver command comes up.. but when it is clicked nothing
> > happens
> > the screen disappears.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
you will need use a Vista 64 bit machine to remotely add the driver to the
server.

--

>I have tried that before, it won't allow me to add the file.. the only
>check
> spot available is for a different processor architecture. so I get an
> error.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> install the 64bit fax driver onto the server
>>
>> 1. How to Set up Fax driver files for cross-architecture clients
>>

>> The following is the procedure to install cross architecture drivers :
>>
>> i. Right click on the Fax printer in "Printers" page and
>> share the fax printer.
>>
>> ii. Click on 'Additional Drivers' and select the
>> architecture for which you want to install fax printer drivers for.
>>
>> iii. It will prompt for a Setup information file (Inf
>> file) .
>>
>> iv. Copy the
>> %windir%\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnms 002.inf_* from a
>> machine
>> of the architecture which you are trying to install.
>>
>> v. Select the prnms002.inf from the share jus copied.
>> (this
>> is the fax printer driver installation INF).
>>
>> vi. This should successfully install the necessary cross
>> architecture Fax printer drivers in the server.
>>
>> vii. Check for the presence of the installed architecture
>> in
>> %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\ directory.
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "supplysider" <supplysider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a setup where we have been using windows server 2003 small
>> > business(32bit) as our faxing sollution over the netowrk.. we recently
>> > upgraded our clients to vista 64 ultimate edition and our fax driver
>> > can't
>> > be
>> > intalled.
>> >
>> > the install driver command comes up.. but when it is clicked nothing
>> > happens
>> > the screen disappears.

supplysider

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
huh... yes I understand that... I attempted to do what you said. However,
the issue is that the sb server would not allow me to add the prnms002.inf
file.. I got the error saying different processor architecture...

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> you will need use a Vista 64 bit machine to remotely add the driver to the
> server.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "supplysider" <supplysider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried that before, it won't allow me to add the file.. the only
> >check
> > spot available is for a different processor architecture. so I get an
> > error.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> install the 64bit fax driver onto the server
> >>
> >> 1. How to Set up Fax driver files for cross-architecture clients
> >>

> >> The following is the procedure to install cross architecture drivers :
> >>
> >> i. Right click on the Fax printer in "Printers" page and
> >> share the fax printer.
> >>
> >> ii. Click on 'Additional Drivers' and select the
> >> architecture for which you want to install fax printer drivers for.
> >>
> >> iii. It will prompt for a Setup information file (Inf
> >> file) .
> >>
> >> iv. Copy the
> >> %windir%\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnms 002.inf_* from a
> >> machine
> >> of the architecture which you are trying to install.
> >>
> >> v. Select the prnms002.inf from the share jus copied.
> >> (this
> >> is the fax printer driver installation INF).
> >>
> >> vi. This should successfully install the necessary cross
> >> architecture Fax printer drivers in the server.
> >>
> >> vii. Check for the presence of the installed architecture
> >> in
> >> %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\ directory.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
are you running at least SP1. there was no x64 before this

--

> huh... yes I understand that... I attempted to do what you said.
> However,
> the issue is that the sb server would not allow me to add the prnms002.inf
> file.. I got the error saying different processor architecture...
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> you will need use a Vista 64 bit machine to remotely add the driver to
>> the
>> server.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "supplysider" <supplysider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried that before, it won't allow me to add the file.. the only
>> >check
>> > spot available is for a different processor architecture. so I get an
>> > error.

supplysider

Re: Vista 64 fax drivers
running server 2003 SB sp2