'Printer not Activated' - error code 20

Barryt

'Printer not Activated' - error code 20

Hi,
This may be of use to anybody with a similar problem as it seems to be
quite a common issue on most forums.

I was trying to create an invoice .pdf file with Quickbooks Simplestart
to e-mail it to a client when the above error message came up.
Quickbooks has a built in .pdf creator to facilitate this procedure and
this was my first .pdf/e-mail usage with this package on Vista.

Quickbooks Support, as usual, have no easy answers to what should be a
simple problem.

Most forum solutions come back to Vista User Account Control causing
the blockage and recommended turning it off. I did this and solved the
problem, but don't like working with UAC off.

An easier work round with this particular software package is to run
the software as an administrator when starting it up. Doing this with
UAC working normally and the .pdf creation works fine.

I understand this error also happens with printers in general and the
solution may also apply there.

I also changed the Security settings to 'Elevate without prompting' for
administrator usage which has made life easier too.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers,

Barryt

--
Barryt
Clark

Re: 'Printer not Activated' - error code 20
Barryt wrote:
> Hi,
> This may be of use to anybody with a similar problem as it seems to be
> quite a common issue on most forums.
>
> I was trying to create an invoice .pdf file with Quickbooks Simplestart
> to e-mail it to a client when the above error message came up.
> Quickbooks has a built in .pdf creator to facilitate this procedure and
> this was my first .pdf/e-mail usage with this package on Vista.
>
> Quickbooks Support, as usual, have no easy answers to what should be a
> simple problem.
>
> Most forum solutions come back to Vista User Account Control causing
> the blockage and recommended turning it off. I did this and solved the
> problem, but don't like working with UAC off.
>
> An easier work round with this particular software package is to run
> the software as an administrator when starting it up. Doing this with
> UAC working normally and the .pdf creation works fine.
>
> I understand this error also happens with printers in general and the
> solution may also apply there.
>
> I also changed the Security settings to 'Elevate without prompting' for
> administrator usage which has made life easier too.
>
> Hope this helps somebody.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Barryt

If you don't want to run the software as administrator, start it from a
desktop shortcut without anything in the "Start in:" box or from the
Start Menu with your desktop referenced in the "Start in:" box. Quicken
does this, I believe, because of the Amyuni user rights and the fact it
has to be used through Quicken. I have not tested the latest Quicken
update (6)for this behavior.

Clark