Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)

timko

Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)

Hello All,
I have a vista ultimate quad core 32 bit machine. It works great.

I had to fax a doc yesterday and I couldn't do it.

I loaded the program, went to the page, typed in phone number and other
info.

I hear the fax program dial ... on my speakers, not the modem speaker -
the stereo speakers. I do not hear the dial tone - it just dials the
number and then it rings 18 or 20 times and gives up. Two minutes later,
it redials.

I took DSL filter and telephone wire and connected to my backup celeron
1.7 machine and BVP (I think it is) software, I can print-fax a
document. So, I know the wire and the dsl filter is ok.

I got the fax off my desk but it sure is inconvenient. I'd appreciate
if anybody had an idea.

The kicker is that I did fax from the program 6-12 months ago ... It
was prior to upgrading vista to service pack 1.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim

--
timko
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Re: Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)
Generally, if you hear the modem dial and then hear a ring from the far end,
the modem is doing its job. During the ringing, did you hear CNG tones (An
1100Hz tone transmitted by a fax machine when it calls another fax machine.
The half-second tone is repeated every 3.5 seconds for approximately 45
seconds)? Any chance you might have typed the number wrong the first time?
BVRP is a third party offering that is commonly bundled with modems. Vista
SP1 has historically had no effect on Fax operations. Note that modems
appearing on the Vista Hardware Compatibility List are the only ones
"guaranteed" to work with WFS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/
Windows Vista Compatibility Center

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE
www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.
"timko" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello All,
> I have a vista ultimate quad core 32 bit machine. It works great.
>
> I had to fax a doc yesterday and I couldn't do it.
>
> I loaded the program, went to the page, typed in phone number and other
> info.
>
> I hear the fax program dial ... on my speakers, not the modem speaker -
> the stereo speakers. I do not hear the dial tone - it just dials the
> number and then it rings 18 or 20 times and gives up. Two minutes later,
> it redials.
>
> I took DSL filter and telephone wire and connected to my backup celeron
> 1.7 machine and BVP (I think it is) software, I can print-fax a
> document. So, I know the wire and the dsl filter is ok.
>
> I got the fax off my desk but it sure is inconvenient. I'd appreciate
> if anybody had an idea.
>
> The kicker is that I did fax from the program 6-12 months ago ... It
> was prior to upgrading vista to service pack 1.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Tim
>

> --
> timko

timko

Re: Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)

Hello Hal and thanks for the info,

I just recalled that the first time I tried it, I didnt hear the
dialtone. So, I went into one of the tabs and unchecked the <wait for
dialtone> box. So, with the box checked, it wouldnt dial. With the box
unchecked (no waiting) it dials.

So, after I hit <send> I do not hear a dial tone ... It just
immediately starts to dial the number ... then I get the tone every
couple of seconds as you describe and it times out after 20 or so tones
(I guess a minute or so).

I dont hear the other end ringing. And, I think that after I hit
<send> I should hear the dial tone or the message waiting beep beep beep
before it starts dialing but I dont hear the dial tone or the message
waiting beep beep beep.

I tried several formats for entering the number and I finally settled
on just a string of numbers and then it dialed without an error code.

I went through ever tab and then the control panel - modem tabs. ???

Yes, BVRP correct. That was working fine on my celeron 1.7 W98 system.
Thanks for the link. I kinda assume it wont work vista.

Hal, thanks very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to
reply.

Tim
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

--
timko
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Re: Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)
I've seen reports that BVRP does work on Vista, though I've never tried it.
It comes bundled with USR modems and can be downloaded from USR's web site:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the modem gets no dial tone, it sounds like there is an issue between
the modem and the phone line; since the other machine's modem likes this
line (I assume you unplugged it from the new machine and plugged it into the
old one), I have concerns about this new modem, it may have a problem with
it's RJ-11 jack.

Hal
--

> Hello Hal and thanks for the info,
>
> I just recalled that the first time I tried it, I didnt hear the
> dialtone. So, I went into one of the tabs and unchecked the <wait for
> dialtone> box. So, with the box checked, it wouldnt dial. With the box
> unchecked (no waiting) it dials.
>
> So, after I hit <send> I do not hear a dial tone ... It just
> immediately starts to dial the number ... then I get the tone every
> couple of seconds as you describe and it times out after 20 or so tones
> (I guess a minute or so).
>
> I dont hear the other end ringing. And, I think that after I hit
> <send> I should hear the dial tone or the message waiting beep beep beep
> before it starts dialing but I dont hear the dial tone or the message
> waiting beep beep beep.
>
> I tried several formats for entering the number and I finally settled
> on just a string of numbers and then it dialed without an error code.
>
> I went through ever tab and then the control panel - modem tabs. ???
>
> Yes, BVRP correct. That was working fine on my celeron 1.7 W98 system.
> Thanks for the link. I kinda assume it wont work vista.
>
> Hal, thanks very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to
> reply.
>

> Tim
> If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
>

> --
> timko

timko

Re: Vista ultimate 32 - fax (no dial tone, then dials)

Hello Hal,
Thanks for that link and info on bvrp.

Yeah, I just moved the DSF filter and the phone line from the desktop
on the left on my monitor to the (celeron) desktop on the right side.
The dial tone was there. So, the line is good.

Good idea ... I'll put the wire back into the vista machine, hit send
and wiggle the wire and see if I can get a dial tone intermittantly
(momentarily). If I do, that would explain it.

Thanks
Tim

--
timko