Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem

sdogg1m

Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem

Hello,

I have a Lexmark Z515 printer connect to a Desktop via a USB cable. I
am looking to share the printer connection so that my laptop (Vista Home
Premium 32-bit) can print from it.

Whenever I try to add the shared printer via the add network printer
option on my laptop I get the error message: "Windows cannot connect to
the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

I have tried the solution listed here: 'Error message when you try to
install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer:
"Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be
completed (error 0x0000000d)"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947236)

I have also tried the "Add a local printer" option then "Create a new
port." I make sure "Local Port" is selected and click "Next." I type in
the printer share name '\\Desktop\Lexmark' (file://\\Desktop\Lexmark)
but the I get an "Access is Denied" error in the local port dialogue
box.

I have used many of the solutions on google and technet and am still
stumped.

Thank you for your time.

--
sdogg1m
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem
G:\>winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

The format of the Local Port is \\MachineName\printsharename

Make sure there are no spaces in the name you are using for the share.

Since you are getting an Access Denied error you might as well run Add
Printer with administrative credentials rather than user credentials and see
if that allows the port creation.

Right click Add Printer, select Run as administrator.

I'd also add a user account with the same password on the Desktop machine
that matches the Laptop user.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"sdogg1m" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I have a Lexmark Z515 printer connect to a Desktop via a USB cable. I
> am looking to share the printer connection so that my laptop (Vista Home
> Premium 32-bit) can print from it.
>
> Whenever I try to add the shared printer via the add network printer
> option on my laptop I get the error message: "Windows cannot connect to
> the printer Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"
>
> I have tried the solution listed here: 'Error message when you try to
> install a network printer on a Windows Vista-based computer:
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could not be
> completed (error 0x0000000d)"'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947236)
>
> I have also tried the "Add a local printer" option then "Create a new
> port." I make sure "Local Port" is selected and click "Next." I type in
> the printer share name '\\Desktop\Lexmark' (file://\\Desktop\Lexmark)
> but the I get an "Access is Denied" error in the local port dialogue
> box.
>
> I have used many of the solutions on google and technet and am still
> stumped.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>

> --
> sdogg1m

sdogg1m

Re: Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem

An update:

I have tried a couple of other fixes that have failed including giving
the Network group access to the spool folder ( 'windows cannot connect
to printer. access is denied.'
(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-6b33e10240e1)
) and that did not work. Also, I attempted to connect the printer the
laptop to see if I could share it with the desktop and came up with the
same errors. One more thing, I noticed Norton Internet Security was
installed on the laptop and so I removed it first with the Remove
Programs utility and then with the Norton Removal Tool. This still did
not correct the problem.

A little more information:
Desktop runs Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Laptop runs Windows Vista Hom Premium 32-bit
Wireless router is a Wireless G Netgear WPN824

Both computers are connected under the same workgroup (Home). Both
computers have file and print sharing turned on. The need to access file
and print sharing with a password is turned off. User Account Control is
turned on and Windows Firewall is turned off.

Hopefully this further information can help. Please tell me if there is
any further information that I can provide to bring additional insight
for correcting the problem.

--
sdogg1m
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem
make sure the guest account is enabled on the machine sharing the printer.

Are you still getting the Access Denied error when adding the local port?

--

> An update:
>
> I have tried a couple of other fixes that have failed including giving
> the Network group access to the spool folder ( 'windows cannot connect
> to printer. access is denied.'
> (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...5-6b33e10240e1)
> ) and that did not work. Also, I attempted to connect the printer the
> laptop to see if I could share it with the desktop and came up with the
> same errors. One more thing, I noticed Norton Internet Security was
> installed on the laptop and so I removed it first with the Remove
> Programs utility and then with the Norton Removal Tool. This still did
> not correct the problem.
>
> A little more information:
> Desktop runs Windows Vista Home Premium x64
> Laptop runs Windows Vista Hom Premium 32-bit
> Wireless router is a Wireless G Netgear WPN824
>
> Both computers are connected under the same workgroup (Home). Both
> computers have file and print sharing turned on. The need to access file
> and print sharing with a password is turned off. User Account Control is
> turned on and Windows Firewall is turned off.
>
> Hopefully this further information can help. Please tell me if there is
> any further information that I can provide to bring additional insight
> for correcting the problem.
>

> --
> sdogg1m

sdogg1m

Re: Lexmark Z515 Printer Sharing Problem

Forgot to mention that yesterday. Guest account is enabled on both
computers.

Yes, I am still getting the access is denied message.

--
sdogg1m