Error message when attempting to install print driver

Barb

Error message when attempting to install print driver
I have a laptop with Windows Vista that suddenly lost ability to print on my
network printer, an Epson CCX4600 installed on a computer with Windows XP. A
message came up saying I would have to install the print driver, but when I
clicked on print driver, nothing happened. I deleted the printer and tried
to re-install a network printer. The print wizard can find the shared
network printer but when I select it I get a message that tells me I need to
install the printer driver on my computer. I click on Install driver and,
while connecting to printer on homepc, I get an error message stating Windows
cannot connect to printer. Operation could not be completed error
0x000003e3.

I have the print driver on disc but it will not allow me to install locally
- seems to think Vista is an earlier operating system than XP. I tried
installing a local printer on the Vista machine that targets a Local Port
with the name \\XPmachine\printershare (as suggested in another post) but
get the message network path not found.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Barb

RE: Error message when attempting to install print driver
Never mind, installling to the local port did work once I used the correct
name for the shared printer.

"Barb" wrote:

> I have a laptop with Windows Vista that suddenly lost ability to print on my
> network printer, an Epson CCX4600 installed on a computer with Windows XP. A
> message came up saying I would have to install the print driver, but when I
> clicked on print driver, nothing happened. I deleted the printer and tried
> to re-install a network printer. The print wizard can find the shared
> network printer but when I select it I get a message that tells me I need to
> install the printer driver on my computer. I click on Install driver and,
> while connecting to printer on homepc, I get an error message stating Windows
> cannot connect to printer. Operation could not be completed error
> 0x000003e3.
>
> I have the print driver on disc but it will not allow me to install locally
> - seems to think Vista is an earlier operating system than XP. I tried
> installing a local printer on the Vista machine that targets a Local Port
> with the name \\XPmachine\printershare (as suggested in another post) but
> get the message network path not found.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error message when attempting to install print driver
just so you have the error information

E:\>winerror 0x000003e3
995 ERROR_OPERATION_ABORTED <--> 0xc0000120 STATUS_CANCELLED

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team