Printing Problems under Vista x64

Sensei1978

Printing Problems under Vista x64

Hi Forum.
I hope you can help me with the printing problem.
I have Vista x64 and a HP DeskJet 820Cxi.
Vista x64 has the driver for the printer in his database.
I installed the driver and used the printer.
But the printer only pulls the paper to the paper beginning in the
printer.
And nothing else happens.
Thats all with the printer.
This problem is only under Vista x64.
Is there any solution for this problem or not?
Thank you very much.

--
Sensei1978
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
This sounds much more like a hardware problem with the printer itself and
not a problem with drivers.

I think it's probably time for a new printer because repairing these devices
is more than the cost of a new unit. You might want to try installing the
printer on another PC with another O/S just to doublecheck.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Sensei1978" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi Forum.
> I hope you can help me with the printing problem.
> I have Vista x64 and a HP DeskJet 820Cxi.
> Vista x64 has the driver for the printer in his database.
> I installed the driver and used the printer.
> But the printer only pulls the paper to the paper beginning in the
> printer.
> And nothing else happens.
> Thats all with the printer.
> This problem is only under Vista x64.
> Is there any solution for this problem or not?
> Thank you very much.
>

> --
> Sensei1978

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
I'm assuming the printer works for some other 32 bit OS or Sensei1978 would
not have said the issue is only with Vista x64.

What OS does the printer work with? Is the printer connected to the working
OS the same as the Vista x64 OS? If you are using a USB to parallel
conversion cable, all bets are off and it's the road not the car that is the
issue.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> This sounds much more like a hardware problem with the printer itself and
> not a problem with drivers.
>
> I think it's probably time for a new printer because repairing these
> devices is more than the cost of a new unit. You might want to try
> installing the printer on another PC with another O/S just to doublecheck.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Sensei1978" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Forum.
>> I hope you can help me with the printing problem.
>> I have Vista x64 and a HP DeskJet 820Cxi.
>> Vista x64 has the driver for the printer in his database.
>> I installed the driver and used the printer.
>> But the printer only pulls the paper to the paper beginning in the
>> printer.
>> And nothing else happens.
>> Thats all with the printer.
>> This problem is only under Vista x64.
>> Is there any solution for this problem or not?
>> Thank you very much.
>>

>> --
>> Sensei1978

Sensei1978

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64

The printer works only not with Vista x64.
The printer works with Windows XP and Windows Vista x86 very good and
with all functions.
If you search in the internet, you can find any more users which have
problems with Vista x64 and HP printers. But the drivers for the
printers are in the Vista x64 driver database. My printer is connected
with a parallel conversion cable.
My second printer the EPSON Stylus Photo 895EX works with Vista x64
without any problems.
The HP printer only pulls the papers to the paper beginning but he is
don't printing.

--
Sensei1978
Tom Ferguson

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
The problem might be with Vista support for the USB (host side) to
Parallel/Centronics (printer side) device. If you are connecting to a
desktop or tower box, try installing a PCI-card parallel port and
connecting the printer with a certified IEEE parallel cable.
--

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007

> The printer works only not with Vista x64.
> The printer works with Windows XP and Windows Vista x86 very good and
> with all functions.
> If you search in the internet, you can find any more users which have
> problems with Vista x64 and HP printers. But the drivers for the
> printers are in the Vista x64 driver database. My printer is connected
> with a parallel conversion cable.
> My second printer the EPSON Stylus Photo 895EX works with Vista x64
> without any problems.
> The HP printer only pulls the papers to the paper beginning but he is
> don't printing.
>

> --
> Sensei1978

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
XP and Vista 32bit also use the same USB conversion cable and software?
The hardware vendors don't support that connectivity but make sure you
disable Bidirectional on the printers Port configuration.

I'll agree with myself second Tom's advice regarding the purchase of the PCI
parallel card. USB to parallel conversion usually only works with rugged
plain old lasers.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The problem might be with Vista support for the USB (host side) to
> Parallel/Centronics (printer side) device. If you are connecting to a
> desktop or tower box, try installing a PCI-card parallel port and
> connecting the printer with a certified IEEE parallel cable.
> --
>
> Tom Ferguson
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Sensei1978" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The printer works only not with Vista x64.
>> The printer works with Windows XP and Windows Vista x86 very good and
>> with all functions.
>> If you search in the internet, you can find any more users which have
>> problems with Vista x64 and HP printers. But the drivers for the
>> printers are in the Vista x64 driver database. My printer is connected
>> with a parallel conversion cable.
>> My second printer the EPSON Stylus Photo 895EX works with Vista x64
>> without any problems.
>> The HP printer only pulls the papers to the paper beginning but he is
>> don't printing.
>>

>> --
>> Sensei1978

Sensei1978

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64

But why did microsoft integrate a driver for the hp deskjet 820cxi in
vista x64 when i must use a PCI parallel card for this os?
The printer works with the other os (XP, Vista 32) perfectly.

--
Sensei1978
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
At this point it appears to be the USB conversion cable that is causing the
issue.

HP provided this driver. HP is also responsible for testing the device with
the driver they provided.

If the printer works on XP with the USB conversion cable I can ping the HP
driver testers but I have a feeling they will claim this method of
connectivity is unsupported.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> But why did microsoft integrate a driver for the hp deskjet 820cxi in
> vista x64 when i must use a PCI parallel card for this os?
> The printer works with the other os (XP, Vista 32) perfectly.
>

> --
> Sensei1978

Tom Ferguson

Re: Printing Problems under Vista x64
One has evidence, even if there is some doubt, that the following are
true:

Windows Vista 64 supports the printer - there is an in-box driver on the
Windows Vista 64 DVD.

The USB to Parallel Port device you are using is hardware compatible with
the computer with which you use it - you report that the printer prints
successfully to that printer when a different OS is in use (either Vista
32 bit or XP 64 bit).

One can reasonably deduce that the problem is Vista 64 bit support for
the
USB to Parallel Port device or some mis-configuration.

Also, based on fundamental engineering principles, one is best advised to
use a device that communicates through a port with the port it was
designed to use. Anything else invites problems because of increased
complexity.

Now, you can keep banging your head against walls by continuing to do the
more complex job of troubleshooting the connection software with no
certainty of success: you might eliminate all possible causes of error
only to find that Windows Vista 64 lacks the drivers for the device and
that, further, none have been written for that combination. However, my
choice would be to connect the printer to the port type it was engineered
for. That might involve installing a PCI parallel card. A simple card
costs about $10.00.

One thing is absolutely certain. It is your computer and you can do
whatever you decide.

As for your direct, perhaps rhetorical, question. The driver is included
for the obvious reason - so that Vista 64 bit will successfully
communicate with the printer through the appropriate interface/port. Use
of the appropriate port is assumed.

Good luck.

Tom Ferguson
MSMVP 1998-2007