How does a print server work?

M Skabialka

How does a print server work?
I have a networked printer in a spare office, using the only network jack on
the wall. Everyone has access to it.
I have been given another printer that I would like to put in this office,
but it does not have a network card built into it - it is an HP 3500 USB
printer. If I buy a USB Printer server, which seems to look just like a
small hub, will this work with both printers - or will the currently
networked printer get confused since it uses the server as a print server?
This older printer is 12 years old but works like a champ - the drivers are
on the server.
The workstations are all XP Pro, the server is Server 2003.
Mich

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: How does a print server work?
"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>I have a networked printer in a spare office, using the only network jack
>on the wall. Everyone has access to it.
> I have been given another printer that I would like to put in this office,
> but it does not have a network card built into it - it is an HP 3500 USB
> printer. If I buy a USB Printer server, which seems to look just like a
> small hub, will this work with both printers - or will the currently
> networked printer get confused since it uses the server as a print server?
> This older printer is 12 years old but works like a champ - the drivers
> are on the server.
> The workstations are all XP Pro, the server is Server 2003.
> Mich

You will need a print server box which has a USB port like this one..

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...7886&CatId=206

Wireless print servers are available too..

Generally, the cheaper the unit, the slower the transfer. They all require a
power outlet close by.

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

M Skabialka

Re: How does a print server work?
I bought a print server, a Belkin Network USB hub ($80), and installed the
print server software on my PC and the printer drivers. With a lot of
reinstalls, setting up a TCP/IP port, etc, I finally got it installed and
working.
So I went to another PC to install the drivers and couldn't get it to work.
Finally figured out they needed the print server software also, but it
prints to the queue and times out. User had no more time so gave up for
now.
On PC 3 I installed print server software then drivers and it worked
yesterday, but not after rebooting today.
When users log in, the Print server control center opens up. I have them
close it.
So I went back to my PC and now the printer jobs stick in the queue there
too.

Later:
It seems the print server control center must remain open (minimized is OK)
to use the printer - it doesn't just sit in the system tray waiting for a
print request.
So - problem solved!