Can't delete network printer from Vista Home Premium

cfoulstone is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't delete network printer from Vista Home Premium
Guys, I'm not an expert with a PC by any stretch, but I understand some of the more technical elements.

I have print server with a USB printer attached to it that has previously worked fine. The printer was added to the Vista machine by way of the printer server name - in this case \\linkstation\lp.

Recently the printer stopped working, and in an attempt to fix the problem I have removed the printer, deleted the registry entries for the driver, port etc at these locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\ Windows NT x86\ Drivers\Version-2\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Providers\ LanMan Print Services\Servers\\Printers\

I have then rebooted the PC, and attempted to add the printer via its IP address - in this case \\10.22.0.3\lp. Unfortunately, when the printer is added the printer status is constantly 'deleting' and when I try to open the printer to view any documents in the print queue it instantly closes itself back down.

Can any of you guys help me out here - I'm not sure what else to try!

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can't delete network printer from Vista Home Premium
I'm a bit confused on this registry deletion
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\
> Windows NT x86\ Drivers\Version-2\

Vista only supports Version 3 print drivers. I'm assuming you deleted any
print drivers under the Version-2 or just deleted the Version-2 because
there was nothing there.

Never the less, does the linkstation support raw TCP or the LPD service?

If it supports LPD, create a Standard TCP/IP Port to the IP of the device.
Custom settings, LPR, enter lp for the queue name. I would net enabled
SNMP.

If it supports raw TCP create the Standard TCP port using the raw settings
from the manual.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team