Color printer only prints in black and white

sachelis

Color printer only prints in black and white

::I have a HP4650 that is connected to a PC running Windows XP-SP3. I am
printing from a laptop running Windows Vista Business 64. I am using the
\"HP PCL5 Universal Print Driver\" (I have the same results if I use the
\"HP PCL6 Universal Print Driver\"). These are the drivers for Vista 64
from HP's website. The printer is connected to the Vista laptop as a
local printer, using a local port similar to '\\officedell\HP4650'
(file://\\officedell\HP4650). (If I don't use the local port approach,
printing is extremely slow... 3+ minutes to display the printer's
Properties dialog).::

::When I print from any program on the Vista laptop, even the Test Page
from Properties, the printing is in black and white (no color). When I
print from the computer that is connected directly to the printer, or
from any other computer on the network, the printout is in color. Note
that the color option **is** enabled in the printer's Properties on the
Vista computer. I have unloaded and reloaded the drivers repeatedly.::

Help!

--
sachelis
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Color printer only prints in black and white
When you uninstalled, did you include Step 4?
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

(written for XP but exactly the same procedure in Vista)

If you omitted it, all you did was reinstall the old drivers once more.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"sachelis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> ::I have a HP4650 that is connected to a PC running Windows XP-SP3. I am
> printing from a laptop running Windows Vista Business 64. I am using the
> \"HP PCL5 Universal Print Driver\" (I have the same results if I use the
> \"HP PCL6 Universal Print Driver\"). These are the drivers for Vista 64
> from HP's website. The printer is connected to the Vista laptop as a
> local printer, using a local port similar to '\\officedell\HP4650'
> (file://\\officedell\HP4650). (If I don't use the local port approach,
> printing is extremely slow... 3+ minutes to display the printer's
> Properties dialog).::
>
> ::When I print from any program on the Vista laptop, even the Test Page
> from Properties, the printing is in black and white (no color). When I
> print from the computer that is connected directly to the printer, or
> from any other computer on the network, the printout is in color. Note
> that the color option **is** enabled in the printer's Properties on the
> Vista computer. I have unloaded and reloaded the drivers repeatedly.::
>
> Help!
>

> --
> sachelis

Questor

Re: Color printer only prints in black and white
Can you go into control panel-classic view-printers-select the printer by
left clicking on it then right click on it and select run as
administrator-properties and you will have to look around for the color and
grayscale or black & white options usually under printing preferences and
print quality and change it to color.

sachelis

Re: Color printer only prints in black and white

It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)"
print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists)
the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

--
sachelis
asg

sachelis;1026567 Wrote:
> It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)"
> print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists)
> the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.

I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and it
will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series pritner,
but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF document.

--
asg
sachelis

asg;1040679 Wrote:
> > sachelis;1026567 Wrote:
> > It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)"
> > print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists)
> > the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.> >

> I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and it
> will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series pritner,
> but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF document.

Are you on a network and if so, did you install it as a local printer?

--
sachelis
asg

sachelis;1041127 Wrote:
> > > It turned out that I needed to use the "HP Universal Printing PS (v4.7)"
> > > print driver. Very frustrating, as HP had told me (and the site lists)
> > > the HP PCL print drivers for my OS, Vista Business 64. Go figure.> > > >

> > I tried that universal driver for my HP2840 networked printer, and
> > it will only print in B&W. I had to use the Windows 2800 series
> > pritner, but now it takes 5-10 minutes to print a page from a PDF
> > document.> >

> Are you on a network and if so, did you install it as a local
> printer?

I am on a home network and the printer was installed as a network
printer, not as a local printer.

I am not having any problems printing out of any other program, just
problems with adobe acrobat.

--
asg