Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall

Bill Volz

Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
I am trying to add a network printer to a vista machine. The printer is on
a win64 server 2008 machine. I can sucessfully add the same printer to a
32bit XP machine so I don't think its a problem with the server. In vista I
turned of the windows firewall from the control panel then disabled the
entire service and restarted. When I try to add the printer from the
control panel using "Run as Administrator" Add Printer I get a generic
error, "Windows cannot connect to printer" with no useful information and
only the below entry in the event viewer. Anyone have any ideas on what the
problem could be?

The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.

Application Information:
Process ID: 1552
Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume3\windows\system32\svchost.e xe

Network Information:
Source Address: 0.0.0.0
Source Port: 54295
Protocol: 17

Filter Information:
Filter Run-Time ID: 0
Layer Name: Resource Assignment
Layer Run-Time ID: 36

Bill Volz

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
I guess I will wait for windows 7 and hope upgrading allows me to add a
network printer.

"Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to add a network printer to a vista machine. The printer is on
>a win64 server 2008 machine. I can sucessfully add the same printer to a
>32bit XP machine so I don't think its a problem with the server. In vista
>I turned of the windows firewall from the control panel then disabled the
>entire service and restarted. When I try to add the printer from the
>control panel using "Run as Administrator" Add Printer I get a generic
>error, "Windows cannot connect to printer" with no useful information and
>only the below entry in the event viewer. Anyone have any ideas on what
>the problem could be?
>
> The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.
>
> Application Information:
> Process ID: 1552
> Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume3\windows\system32\svchost.e xe
>
> Network Information:
> Source Address: 0.0.0.0
> Source Port: 54295
> Protocol: 17
>
> Filter Information:
> Filter Run-Time ID: 0
> Layer Name: Resource Assignment
> Layer Run-Time ID: 36

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
Can the Vista client connect to any other shared printers on the machine?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

>I guess I will wait for windows 7 and hope upgrading allows me to add a
>network printer.
>

> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to add a network printer to a vista machine. The printer is
>>on a win64 server 2008 machine. I can sucessfully add the same printer to
>>a 32bit XP machine so I don't think its a problem with the server. In
>>vista I turned of the windows firewall from the control panel then
>>disabled the entire service and restarted. When I try to add the printer
>>from the control panel using "Run as Administrator" Add Printer I get a
>>generic error, "Windows cannot connect to printer" with no useful
>>information and only the below entry in the event viewer. Anyone have any
>>ideas on what the problem could be?
>>
>> The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.
>>
>> Application Information:
>> Process ID: 1552
>> Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume3\windows\system32\svchost.e xe
>>
>> Network Information:
>> Source Address: 0.0.0.0
>> Source Port: 54295
>> Protocol: 17
>>
>> Filter Information:
>> Filter Run-Time ID: 0
>> Layer Name: Resource Assignment
>> Layer Run-Time ID: 36

Bill Volz

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
When connected to my work's wifi it will connect to an HP IP printer with a
built in network card but I have not been able to connect to a printer that
is shared on a remote machine.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can the Vista client connect to any other shared printers on the machine?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>>I guess I will wait for windows 7 and hope upgrading allows me to add a
>>network printer.
>>

>> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I am trying to add a network printer to a vista machine. The printer is
>>>on a win64 server 2008 machine. I can sucessfully add the same printer
>>>to a 32bit XP machine so I don't think its a problem with the server. In
>>>vista I turned of the windows firewall from the control panel then
>>>disabled the entire service and restarted. When I try to add the printer
>>>from the control panel using "Run as Administrator" Add Printer I get a
>>>generic error, "Windows cannot connect to printer" with no useful
>>>information and only the below entry in the event viewer. Anyone have
>>>any ideas on what the problem could be?
>>>
>>> The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a bind to a local port.
>>>
>>> Application Information:
>>> Process ID: 1552
>>> Application Name: \device\harddiskvolume3\windows\system32\svchost.e xe
>>>
>>> Network Information:
>>> Source Address: 0.0.0.0
>>> Source Port: 54295
>>> Protocol: 17
>>>
>>> Filter Information:
>>> Filter Run-Time ID: 0
>>> Layer Name: Resource Assignment
>>> Layer Run-Time ID: 36

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
Is the laptop joined to the same domain as the machine sharing the printer?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> When connected to my work's wifi it will connect to an HP IP printer with
> a built in network card but I have not been able to connect to a printer
> that is shared on a remote machine.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Can the Vista client connect to any other shared printers on the machine?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I guess I will wait for windows 7 and hope upgrading allows me to add a
>>>network printer.

Bill Volz

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
No. There is no domain.

> Is the laptop joined to the same domain as the machine sharing the
> printer?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>> When connected to my work's wifi it will connect to an HP IP printer with
>> a built in network card but I have not been able to connect to a printer
>> that is shared on a remote machine.
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Can the Vista client connect to any other shared printers on the
>>> machine?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
is there a user account on the desktop with same name and password as the
laptop?

Did you add a different printer to the desktop that uses a driver in the OS
to confirm this is not related to the print driver?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> No. There is no domain.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is the laptop joined to the same domain as the machine sharing the
>> printer?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When connected to my work's wifi it will connect to an HP IP printer
>>> with a built in network card but I have not been able to connect to a
>>> printer that is shared on a remote machine.

Bill Volz

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall
> is there a user account on the desktop with same name and password as the
> laptop?

Yes.

> Did you add a different printer to the desktop that uses a driver in the
> OS to confirm this is not related to the print driver?

Yes, there are two printers on the machine one required a driver download
the other's were included with the OS (HP Deskjet 5550) and both give the
same error when trying to add them.

I have a mac mini that came with XP and it was able to add both printers. I
upgraded it to windows 7 and it still was able to add the printers with no
problem. It is only this vista 32 machine that is giving me problems.

> is there a user account on the desktop with same name and password as the
> laptop?
>
> Did you add a different printer to the desktop that uses a driver in the
> OS to confirm this is not related to the print driver?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
>> No. There is no domain.
>>
>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Is the laptop joined to the same domain as the machine sharing the
>>> printer?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.

salamet djati s

Re: Error adding printer; blocked a bind to a local port; no firewall

I was try to install printer driver hewlet packard laserjet P 1006 but
the installation not responding and the report i got....... What is the
problem......?
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: Setup.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4815b971
Hang Signature: 31df
Hang Type: 2048
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 566317b80d1d6f594bd63496642f092f
Additional Hang Signature 2: 1edd
Additional Hang Signature 3: 72c1004e1f85903ffc94733b62ec0eab
Additional Hang Signature 4: 31df
Additional Hang Signature 5: 566317b80d1d6f594bd63496642f092f
Additional Hang Signature 6: 1edd
Additional Hang Signature 7: 72c1004e1f85903ffc94733b62ec0eab

Read our privacy statement:
'Microsoft Online Crash Analysis'
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409)

--