Problem with Lexmark x2480 scanner

reggepole

Problem with Lexmark x2480 scanner

I think it is ridiculous to have a thread for each printer in view that
the problems appear to be similar or even the same. But what do I have
to do? I have two computers connected within a home network through the
router. Everything worked fine though one works under Windows XP Home
with ZoneAlarm firewall and second works under Windows Vista x64 Home
Premium with Windows firewall. Then I tried to install the Lexmark X2480
All-in-one printer to the network and it was convenient to me to connect
it to the computer with Vista. I have disk with the printer so I did not
wait for any problem.
First problem arose even before I tried to connect the printer into
network. I could print (not from Microsoft Works and Internet Explorer
8??), copy but I couldn't scan. After some searching with the Google I
downloaded new driver for the printer and CleanUp utility for Lexmark
printers that was mentioned in another thread on this forum. Now
everything worked fine on Vista computer and I started network
connection for the printer. And again I can print from the Windows XP
computer but I can't scan. When I try I have an window with " The
Lexmark 2400 Series printer driver is not installed. Please reinstall
your printer".

--
reggepole
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Problem with Lexmark x2480 scanner
Networking scanning is very hit and miss. Really if you need this
capability, you need to get a specialized networkable scanner, Epson make
some, starting at around $1500. I'd say that if you need scanning
capability on more than one PC, get several standalone cheap(ish) scanners
and use them.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"reggepole" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I think it is ridiculous to have a thread for each printer in view that
> the problems appear to be similar or even the same. But what do I have
> to do? I have two computers connected within a home network through the
> router. Everything worked fine though one works under Windows XP Home
> with ZoneAlarm firewall and second works under Windows Vista x64 Home
> Premium with Windows firewall. Then I tried to install the Lexmark X2480
> All-in-one printer to the network and it was convenient to me to connect
> it to the computer with Vista. I have disk with the printer so I did not
> wait for any problem.
> First problem arose even before I tried to connect the printer into
> network. I could print (not from Microsoft Works and Internet Explorer
> 8??), copy but I couldn't scan. After some searching with the Google I
> downloaded new driver for the printer and CleanUp utility for Lexmark
> printers that was mentioned in another thread on this forum. Now
> everything worked fine on Vista computer and I started network
> connection for the printer. And again I can print from the Windows XP
> computer but I can't scan. When I try I have an window with " The
> Lexmark 2400 Series printer driver is not installed. Please reinstall
> your printer".
>

> --
> reggepole

Chuck

Re: Problem with Lexmark x2480 scanner
I agree that network scanning & fax has been a problem in general. (And for
a long time, using different win versions)
I do have an Epson workforce 600 multifunction that works OK for scanning
from the network, and, after installing
first as a USB system, then changing to wired or wireless networking, will
also work as via a wireless connection for scanning.
Seems there is some sort of a "bug" in XP and possivbly Vista that prevents
proper recognition of a scanner,
be it an all in one or a standalone networkable scanner. What happens on my
systems is that VueScan cannot detect the scanner
unless it is connected via USB. Once this is completed, the ports can be
played with, and eventually switched to the psuedo port
used for a networked scanner/all in one. Once VueScan sees the scanner,
windows built in scanner
related functions may or may not also work, seems to be scanner vendor/model
dependent.