Problems printing from Vista to Lexmark z715 network printer on WinXP

areeves

Problems printing from Vista to Lexmark z715 network printer on WinXP

I have a Lexmark z715 printer installed on my desktop Windows XP
Professional machine. I also just recently purchased a new laptop with
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, I shared the printer, and now I want
to print to the printer installed on the Windows XP machine.

My first problem was that the two computers couldn't connect at all so
I turned off the firewalls on both computers which fixed that problem.

I installed the Lexmark Z700-P700 Vista 64bit print drivers on my
laptop, and then tried to add the printer using a local port
\\computername\printersharename.

After calling the Lexmark support line they told me cross platform
printing between different OS wasn't supported. I think that's just an
easy way out, or something is wrong with their drivers. They said if the
laptop was Windows XP or previous Windows version it would work.

I was getting the 0x0000000d error. So I looked on several forums and
they suggested making the share name match the name of the printer, in
my case that was "Lexmark Z700-P700". Now when I try to print I get a
communication error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the any help you can offer.

--
areeves
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problems printing from Vista to Lexmark z715 network printer on WinXP
Cross platform printing is absolutely support as long as the vendors print
driver supports it. MS has 1500 printers shared off several x64 print
servers servicing 40000 users running x86 and x64 client OS.

E:\>winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

Invalid data is the error

Add a Fake printer that uses any driver on the XP machine. Select the same
USB port as the z715. Keep the printer name and the share name simple
(simple means one 8 character or less name) FAKE would be a good choice.

On the Vista x64 machine create another printer using a local port to
\\xpmachine\FAKE and use the Lexmark Z700 driver.

Print test page

If you get the communication error, open the printer properties on the Vista
machine (right click Run as administrator) and see if Bidirectional is
selected on the Ports tab. Uncheck and try again.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team