Modem won't work with vista

Homeuser

Modem won't work with vista

Hi, it might be that I have a DELL modem, but I took that out of my old
DELL 8400 and installed it in my new build. I have been trying to send
faxes like I used to but it keeps saying line undetetced or something
like that. I know I have dial tone there as I tested it. I run the modem
query and it works on the conaxant V92 fax modem side, but then when I
do it on just the modem side, it won't work. Im not sure if this modem
is Vista Compatible and don't know how to check it...any help would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

--
Homeuser
Malke

Re: Modem won't work with vista
Homeuser wrote:

> Hi, it might be that I have a DELL modem, but I took that out of my old
> DELL 8400 and installed it in my new build. I have been trying to send
> faxes like I used to but it keeps saying line undetetced or something
> like that. I know I have dial tone there as I tested it. I run the modem
> query and it works on the conaxant V92 fax modem side, but then when I
> do it on just the modem side, it won't work. Im not sure if this modem
> is Vista Compatible and don't know how to check it...any help would be
> greatly appreciated!!

1. What version of Vista do you have? The Home/Basic versions do not have a
built-in faxing program. You need third-party software. Many people have
said that Snappy Fax is good.

2. If you are only needing the modem to fax (i.e., you get your Internet
connectivity from DSL or cable), then just replace the modem with one that
is compatible with Vista. Make sure it has fax capabilities. PCI modems are
fairly inexpensive. You'll still need faxing software.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Homeuser

Re: Modem won't work with vista

Naw, I have Vista Ultimate x64 and it's on here..just don't think my
modem I took from my old DELL, is compatible with Vista.....I might have
to look into the USB type modems...I only have 1 PCI slot and I might
want that for something else in the future...Besides, I have a ton of
USB ports...like 10 or more just on my case and MOBO combined...plus 2
on one of my monitors...and I also have 2 x 4port USB Hubs...one can
never have enough USB ports!!! lol....
On that note, is there any way of telling if my modem is compatible?

Homeuser wrote:

> Naw, I have Vista Ultimate x64 and it's on here..just don't think my
> modem I took from my old DELL, is compatible with Vista.....I might have
> to look into the USB type modems...I only have 1 PCI slot and I might
> want that for something else in the future...Besides, I have a ton of
> USB ports...like 10 or more just on my case and MOBO combined...plus 2
> on one of my monitors...and I also have 2 x 4port USB Hubs...one can
> never have enough USB ports!!! lol....
> On that note, is there any way of telling if my modem is compatible?

Vista compatibility center -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...y/Default.aspx

Or just Google for drivers for the old card. If you don't see any for Vista,
you know the answer.

A standalone fax machine might be a better solution for you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!