Vista Default Printer disappears need a local fix.

JW

Vista Default Printer disappears need a local fix.
Looking for a true Microsoft type fix. Microsoft should have had a fix for
this by now. What we have come up with so far in our case is:

This is a function of the new Remote Desktop client. What is happening is
that when you remote into a Vista PC it tries to set your local default
printer on the remote box. When the session is ended, it is not getting the
remote PC default printer set back. The next time someone logs in local it
looks for the default printer (which exist on another PC, possibly at home)
and when it cannot find it, it defaults to the first one on the list. I am
looking for the correct solution but all of the solutions I have come across
so far also have side effects. The best one so far is a group policy
setting that would keep the remote desktop client from trying to remap the
printer.

Thanks

JW

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Default Printer disappears need a local fix.
Yes you are correct, this is a function of the remote client software, it's
not a spooler issue.

Sign up for Windows 7 Beta releases and give this OS a ****l. This is not
MS support and evidently there have not been many complaints on this.

But email product support and tell them you'd like a fix for this in Vista.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team