ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works

wowjimi

ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works

I have a Canon iP4200 which will NOT work on Vista Home BASIC desktop,
but will work on my laptop which has Vista Home PREMIUM.
The Home Basic is a clean install, virgin hard drive, new computer,
etc.

Vista Home Basic FAIL:

-Ran setup file iP4200vst200ej.exe from Canon support site
-Connected usb from printer to computer
-powered on printer
-Vista recognizes it as ip4200 and says it is ready
-Print test page – printer makes some noise like it is going to start
,but fails and shows “An error has occurred when printing
the following print job. Click Cancel to stop printing. Job: Test
Page”

PRINT SERVER PROPERTIES/Driver Properties:
Language Monitor: Canon BJ Language Monitor iP4200
Help file: CNMMH78.CHM
Config file: CNMUI78DLL
Data file: CNMCP78.dll
Driver file: CNMDR78.dll
Dependent file: CNMLR78.dll
Dependent file: CNMCB78.dll
ETC…. with CNM*.dlls
HERE'S WHAT WORKS on my laptop:

Vista Home PREMIUM
Connected usb to computer
Powered on Printer
Vista recognizes it correctly and it works

PRINT SERVER PROPERTIES/Driver Properties:
Language Monitor: BJ Language Monitor 3_3
Help file: Unidrv.hlp
Config file: Unidrvui.dll
Data fie: cnb_0260.gpd
Driver file: unidrv.dll
Depenendent file: cnb_260.dll
Dependent file: cnbjop78.dll
Etc….. with CNB*.dlls, NOT CNM*.dlls

so can I manually somehow change the config on the Vista Home Basic
computer to use the drivers CNB*.dll which work correctly on my laptop,
instead of the CNM* files that aren't working?

--
wowjimi
wowjimi

Re: ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works

also i have tried copying the set of dll files from Home Premium that
work to a folder on the desktop and changing the drivers thru Device
Manager, but it wont change them, it will say i already have the most
up-to-date installed.

--
wowjimi
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works
On the machine that works, the drivers and language monitor are those
included in Vista.

Go ahead and install the driver manually on the basic machine (use Add
Driver on printers folder, Server Properties (run as administrator)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"wowjimi" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> also i have tried copying the set of dll files from Home Premium that
> work to a folder on the desktop and changing the drivers thru Device
> Manager, but it wont change them, it will say i already have the most
> up-to-date installed.
>

> --
> wowjimi

wowjimi

Re: ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works

no - it wouldnt let me manually point to old drivers to install, it
would say the present ones are most up-to-date.

Since it is a new computer install, (not much to redo) i just started
over with reinstalling vista clean. After vista only, the printer
worked fine using vistas drivers.

THen after installing the motherboard drivers and vga drivers, etc,
then openoffice, it went back to the same problem. Now i can plug it in
and it doesnt even show a popup that a USB device has connected.
Printer still works fine on the laptop. And at least USB mouse works
fine on the desktop.

SO i will start fresh again, do a step by step trial, and see what is
causing the conflict. (i updated the motherboard bios by the way and it
made no difference.)

Long story short = its not vista its my new motherboard setup
SOMEWHERE...

thanks for trying to help.

--
wowjimi
wowjimi

Re: ip4200: Vista Home Basic Fails, but Home premium works

ok the culprit was a driver packaged within about 10 drivers that are
part of the ATI video chipset CATALYST update. I unchecked and didnt
install AMD USB FILTER DRIVER 1.0.6.0. Now everything works fine.

--
wowjimi