How do you deploy your printers ?

Atreides

How do you deploy your printers ?
Hi All,

We are currently adding printers based on group membership, via VB script..
objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection \\server\printer
But we mostly have problems with users who travel and require printers at
the local site to be installed.

What is the best way to deploy printers to a med-large organization ? We
have tried using Group Policy (with Print Management), which was a massive
headache. Although we have not tried GP Prefs.. What are your experiences ?

(( If this is not the correct group to post to, could someone please point
me in the right direction ? ))

Thanks !
Jim

Robinson Zhang [MSFT]

RE: How do you deploy your printers ?
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your post.

Suggestions:
================
Yes, technically, it is possible. The most commonly used method is to code
the script to perform more tasks such as:

1. Detect the computer's current location. Generally, we can check the
TCP/IP settings and get the necessary information.
2. Based on the location information, add the nearest printer queue, and
set it as the default printer.

How to Add a Default Printer Using a Visual Basic Script
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263226/en-us

IMPORTANT NOTE:
================
As you know, this newsgroup is primarily for break-fix situations regarding
Windows operating system.

If you need further assistance in developing the VB script, you are welcome
to submit question in our Developer newsgroups. For your convenience, I
have provided the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

Or you may ask for developer support:
http://support.microsoft.com/directo...ro.asp?sd=msdn

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Robinson Zhang
Microsoft Online Technical Support

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: How do you deploy your printers ?
Using Deployed Printers you can associate a printer to a location if the
domain is specifically setup that way but if it's not then there is no
sense.

Group Preferences will have similar requirements.

I think there would be some people interested in the hurtles using deployed
printers. The purpose of the feature was to solve a problem not create more
but I am well aware of the AD configurations required.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Atreides" <Atreides@community.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> We are currently adding printers based on group membership, via VB
> script..
> objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection \\server\printer
> But we mostly have problems with users who travel and require printers at
> the local site to be installed.
>
> What is the best way to deploy printers to a med-large organization ? We
> have tried using Group Policy (with Print Management), which was a massive
> headache. Although we have not tried GP Prefs.. What are your experiences
> ?
>
> (( If this is not the correct group to post to, could someone please point
> me in the right direction ? ))
>
> Thanks !
> Jim

Atreides

Re: How do you deploy your printers ?
Hi Alan,

...And it did look very promising. It just caused us too many problems.
We applied the group policies to our Sites which would deploy the correct
printers. Except we had issues like:
- Needing to reinstall printers on the clients because of corrupt drivers -
which was sometimes impossible, (requiring a re-image) - Due to persistant
GP not letting go.
- Users not wanting so many Printers in their list.

I'll continue to look into it..

Jim