Universal Printer Driver

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Universal Printer Driver
Hi,

I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.

Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit).

What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer drivers in Vista.

If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the Vista OS disk?

Thanks for any help.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Universal Printer Driver
the universal printer driver is the core component for most PCL drivers,
unidrv.dll. The Generic/Text Only driver also uses the core unidrv
components as well.

There is no driver named Microsoft Universal Print driver.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"anon_private" <anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.
>
> Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows
> Vista Home Premium (32bit).
>
> What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I
> cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it
> meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer
> drivers in Vista.
>
> If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the
> Vista OS disk?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> anon_private

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Universal Printer Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morris [MSFT] View Post
the universal printer driver is the core component for most PCL drivers,
unidrv.dll. The Generic/Text Only driver also uses the core unidrv
components as well.

There is no driver named Microsoft Universal Print driver.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"anon_private" <anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.
>
> Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows
> Vista Home Premium (32bit).
>
> What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I
> cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it
> meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer
> drivers in Vista.
>
> If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the
> Vista OS disk?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> anon_private

Thanks for the response

I am new to this board. What does pcl mean.

Is there any point in installing the universal printer driver based on unidrv.dll, if I have installed the Generic/text only driver? Are they essentailly the same driver, or do they have different capabilities?

I also note that there are a couple of IBM Generic drivers available with Vista. Should these be able to drive any inkjet printer, or are they designed to drive any IBM printer?

On buying the pc, Microsoft's XPS Writer driver was pre-installed and configured to the XPS port.

My printer is connected to a USB port. I assume that if I want to use this driver then I should configure Writer to a USB port. Am I correct? That is, any driver that I decide to use should be configured to a USB port.

Thanks
H Brydon

Re: Universal Printer Driver
Try this one:

http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...AN&Xlang=en_CA

"anon_private" <anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.
>
> Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows
> Vista Home Premium (32bit).
>
> What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I
> cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it
> meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer
> drivers in Vista.
>
> If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the
> Vista OS disk?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> anon_private

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Universal Printer Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Brydon View Post
Try this one:

Global Print Driver Drivers and Downloads

"anon_private" <anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.
>
> Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows
> Vista Home Premium (32bit).
>
> What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I
> cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it
> meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer
> drivers in Vista.
>
> If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the
> Vista OS disk?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> anon_private

Thanks for the response.

I see that there are several of these drivers and one should download the most suitable.

I have read my printer manual (Lexmark Z 2300 series: Inkjet) and it does not mention printer languages.

Any idea which driver may be compatible?

Thanks again

Best wishes

Judy Booth

Re: Universal Printer Driver
anon_private <anon_private.3pjyfz@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a Universal Printer Driver.
>
> Can someone point me to a good free driver that will run under Windows
> Vista Home Premium (32bit).
>
> What is the difference between Microsoft's Universal Printer Driver (I
> cannot determine if this driver is suitable for a home pc, or if it
> meant for Vista) and the Generic/Text only driver listed under printer
> drivers in Vista.
>
> If I wanted to install the Generic driver as well, would I use the
> Vista OS disk?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Even if there isn't an "inbox" driver for the printer included with Vista
in practice most, if not all, drivers are a free download from the
manufacturer's website.

What sort of printer do you have? That really is where you should be
starting from, followed by questions about what sort of driver
functionality you need.

Even if the manufacturer's own driver has limited support for features
such as Job Finishing (N-up, poster, booklet etc) there are still some
free downloads to add extra features.

Judy