ASCII or TBCP

IT News

ASCII or TBCP
The data format default setting for some PS drivers is ASCII and for some
other ones is TBCP.
What are the advantages of using one over the other, please?

Thanks!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com

Re: ASCII or TBCP
See http://lists.apple.com/archives/Prin.../msg00017.html and
other links that you will find by googling for ASCII or TBCP Setting

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"IT News" <ITNews@news.it> wrote in message
> The data format default setting for some PS drivers is ASCII and for some
> other ones is TBCP.
> What are the advantages of using one over the other, please?
>
> Thanks!

IT News

Re: ASCII or TBCP
That's just a complain to Apple .... doesn't give me any background on the
protocols ....
Trust me I do my homework before I come here ....

Thanks for your time anyway ....

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org>
wrote in message news:uEJ%23I3qqJHA.3964@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> See http://lists.apple.com/archives/Prin.../msg00017.html and
> other links that you will find by googling for ASCII or TBCP Setting
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "IT News" <ITNews@news.it> wrote in message
>> The data format default setting for some PS drivers is ASCII and for some
>> other ones is TBCP.
>> What are the advantages of using one over the other, please?
>>
>> Thanks!

Steve Rindsberg

Re: ASCII or TBCP
In article <jKhxl.72570$FI5.48170@newsfe07.iad>, IT News wrote:
> The data format default setting for some PS drivers is ASCII and for some
> other ones is TBCP.
> What are the advantages of using one over the other, please?

My PS is rusty but if memory serves, TBCP is one method of sending binary
data *as* binary data w/o risking problems that would ordinarily result from
random occurrences of characters like Ctrl+D.

With ASCII, the same data would have to be converted to ASCII, meaning that
each binary byte turns in to two ASCII bytes.

This was A Very Big Deal when we hooked up printers using serial cables,
less so with parallel connections and with USB/network connections, it's not
all that material any longer, unless you're printing a LOT of images using
binary EPS or the like.

Note that in the link Doug provided, the author VASTLY overstates his case.
He's assuming that all print jobs are Photoshop-type images, where ascii vs
tbcp can make a big difference.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

IT News

Re: ASCII or TBCP

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <jKhxl.72570$FI5.48170@newsfe07.iad>, IT News wrote:
>> The data format default setting for some PS drivers is ASCII and for some
>> other ones is TBCP.
>> What are the advantages of using one over the other, please?

> My PS is rusty but if memory serves, TBCP is one method of sending binary
> data *as* binary data w/o risking problems that would ordinarily result
> from
> random occurrences of characters like Ctrl+D.
>
> With ASCII, the same data would have to be converted to ASCII, meaning
> that
> each binary byte turns in to two ASCII bytes.
>
> This was A Very Big Deal when we hooked up printers using serial cables,
> less so with parallel connections and with USB/network connections, it's
> not
> all that material any longer, unless you're printing a LOT of images using
> binary EPS or the like.
>
> Note that in the link Doug provided, the author VASTLY overstates his
> case.
> He's assuming that all print jobs are Photoshop-type images, where ascii
> vs
> tbcp can make a big difference.

> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/