Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Haraldo

Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Hi,

New here, new to PC, new to Vista. Similar to another question that
didn't give details, I'm trying to print to my old HP LaserJet 5MP
printer from a new HP laptop running Vista Home Prem 64. I've had long
talks with HP, but they've thrown up their hands and basically told me
that the printer is too old and they can't help. Yet, the printer is
listed in Vista when I try to Add a Printer. In fact, it adds it just
fine, but when I try a test print or try see the printer on my network:
Nada (nothing).

FYI, printer works fine on my wired network from other Mac computers.
So it's not the printer, and I don't think it's the network, which is
connected to laptop via Ethernet cable.

Any suggestions or pointers to look are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Haraldo

--
Haraldo
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two
How is the printer connected to the network? Is it connected to a print
server? Is it connected to a PC running some version of Windows? Is it
connected to a Mac?

If on the new HP Laptop you navigate to Printer Properties and check the
Ports tab, which port is checked as the port the printer is using?

By Nada (nothing), are you being literal: do you mean that nothing at all
happens? If anything at all, please tell us.

"Haraldo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> New here, new to PC, new to Vista. Similar to another question that
> didn't give details, I'm trying to print to my old HP LaserJet 5MP
> printer from a new HP laptop running Vista Home Prem 64. I've had long
> talks with HP, but they've thrown up their hands and basically told me
> that the printer is too old and they can't help. Yet, the printer is
> listed in Vista when I try to Add a Printer. In fact, it adds it just
> fine, but when I try a test print or try see the printer on my network:
> Nada (nothing).
>
> FYI, printer works fine on my wired network from other Mac computers.
> So it's not the printer, and I don't think it's the network, which is
> connected to laptop via Ethernet cable.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers to look are very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Haraldo
>

> --
> Haraldo

Haraldo

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reply and offer to help.

> How is the printer connected to the network? Is it connected to a

print
server? Is it connected to a PC running some version of Windows? Is it
connected to a Mac? <

Here's my setup: HP LaserJet 5MP is connected to my local network with
an "Asante Bridge". Sort of a strange setup but it works. Asante device
feeds out via RJ45 standard network cable into my router (actually two
routers because I have too many devices for one). All computers (Macs)
are also plugged into the router(s) via same RJ45 cables.
To check, I just now unplugged the network cable going into my new HP
laptop and plugged it into one of my Macs, and it printed perfectly.
Then re-plugged cable back into the new laptop.
I've also tried using the actual Asante-to-RJ45 cable directly into
the laptop (bypassing the routers) and still doesn't work.

> If on the new HP Laptop you navigate to Printer Properties and check

the
Ports tab, which port is checked as the port the printer is using? <

I have added several "printers" using different ports: LPT1 and XPS.
Should I try some of the other options??? (LPT2, LPT3, COM1, COM2, COM3,
COM4, FILE). I can see all these "printers" in Control Panel > Printers,
and see their ports.
FYI: Device Manager does not show any printer.

> By Nada (nothing), are you being literal: do you mean that nothing at

all
happens? If anything at all, please tell us.

If I open a test Word Doc and:
A. select a "printer" I created using LPT1 port, there is no activity
either on the laptop nor on the actual printer (no blinking lights that
tell me it's printing). If I look in the Printer Queue as I hit Print, I
can see the Doc show up and immediately disappear.
B. select a "printer" I created using XPS port, ditto.
C. select MS XPS Document Writer (XPS port), and AHA... info line at
bottom of Doc says: "Word is preparing to background print the document"
but it never does (and no lights blinking on printer).

So, for some reason. Vista is not seeing the printer or not using the
printer drivers correctly. Or something.

Any more thoughts or questions are certainly appreciated. I must be
missing one key thing. What is it?

Thanks very much.

Haraldo
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two
OK.

Basically, you have a Mac network, a HP LaserJet 5MP is set up on an Asante
device connecting to a router. (I don't follow the way all of this is
connected but we shall leave that for the moment).

What is the port used for the printer?

Showing in-

Control Panel Printers

Highlight the new printer as listed by right mouse clicking on the printer
name
Choose Properties Ports

and see the list item that has a check mark in the box to the left of the
port name

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for reply and offer to help.
>
>> How is the printer connected to the network? Is it connected to a

> print
> server? Is it connected to a PC running some version of Windows? Is it
> connected to a Mac? <
>
> Here's my setup: HP LaserJet 5MP is connected to my local network with
> an "Asante Bridge". Sort of a strange setup but it works. Asante device
> feeds out via RJ45 standard network cable into my router (actually two
> routers because I have too many devices for one). All computers (Macs)
> are also plugged into the router(s) via same RJ45 cables.
> To check, I just now unplugged the network cable going into my new HP
> laptop and plugged it into one of my Macs, and it printed perfectly.
> Then re-plugged cable back into the new laptop.
> I've also tried using the actual Asante-to-RJ45 cable directly into
> the laptop (bypassing the routers) and still doesn't work.
>
>> If on the new HP Laptop you navigate to Printer Properties and check

> the
> Ports tab, which port is checked as the port the printer is using? <
>
> I have added several "printers" using different ports: LPT1 and XPS.
> Should I try some of the other options??? (LPT2, LPT3, COM1, COM2, COM3,
> COM4, FILE). I can see all these "printers" in Control Panel > Printers,
> and see their ports.
> FYI: Device Manager does not show any printer.
>
>> By Nada (nothing), are you being literal: do you mean that nothing at

> all
> happens? If anything at all, please tell us.
>
> If I open a test Word Doc and:
> A. select a "printer" I created using LPT1 port, there is no activity
> either on the laptop nor on the actual printer (no blinking lights that
> tell me it's printing). If I look in the Printer Queue as I hit Print, I
> can see the Doc show up and immediately disappear.
> B. select a "printer" I created using XPS port, ditto.
> C. select MS XPS Document Writer (XPS port), and AHA... info line at
> bottom of Doc says: "Word is preparing to background print the document"
> but it never does (and no lights blinking on printer).
>
> So, for some reason. Vista is not seeing the printer or not using the
> printer drivers correctly. Or something.
>
> Any more thoughts or questions are certainly appreciated. I must be
> missing one key thing. What is it?
>
> Thanks very much.

> Haraldo

Haraldo

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reply. It's not per se a Mac network; it's just a network
with Macs on it (and other things including another PC laptop, but it's
not mine and it's not on premises currently).

I checked what you've asked, and I've added printers using both LPT1
and XPSPort. I also have the MS XPS Document Writer using the XPSPort.
These are all the ones I've been trying without success.

There's still LPT2 and LPT3. I guess I could try those, too.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks.

Haraldo
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two
I may be way off here since I have not used an Asante box in a long time I
am sure they have changed in 8 years.

Basically Haraldo, I am assuming the new Asante boxes support TCI/IP. If
they do not and the Macs connect to the printer over AppleTalk, you will
need to find someone that has AppleTalk protocol for Vista.

If the Asante box supports LPD then you will need to determine from the
manuals what the queue name for the LPD service is and setup a Standard
TCP/IP Port to the IP address supported by the nic. Make sure the laptop
can ping the IP address.

Add Local Printer, Create Standard TCP/IP Port

Use the custom configuration in Standard TCP/IP Port , Select LPR, enter
the queue name from supported documentation. I'd enable Byte Count but if
the document states it is not required go with docs.

Select the driver from the list. Use the PS one since your printer supports
postscript for the Macs.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for reply. It's not per se a Mac network; it's just a network
> with Macs on it (and other things including another PC laptop, but it's
> not mine and it's not on premises currently).
>
> I checked what you've asked, and I've added printers using both LPT1
> and XPSPort. I also have the MS XPS Document Writer using the XPSPort.
> These are all the ones I've been trying without success.
>
> There's still LPT2 and LPT3. I guess I could try those, too.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Many thanks.

> Haraldo

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two
OK, I'll leave this to Alan. He is far better acquainted with the various
bits than I.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Haraldo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for reply. It's not per se a Mac network; it's just a network
> with Macs on it (and other things including another PC laptop, but it's
> not mine and it's not on premises currently).
>
> I checked what you've asked, and I've added printers using both LPT1
> and XPSPort. I also have the MS XPS Document Writer using the XPSPort.
> These are all the ones I've been trying without success.
>
> There's still LPT2 and LPT3. I guess I could try those, too.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Many thanks.

> Haraldo

Haraldo

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Hi Alan and Tom,

Tom, thanks for your help to now.

Alan, thanks for jumping in here. I'm asking Asante what they have now.
One issue could be that the old printer has no modern plugs - no USB, no
Ethernet. And AppleTalk protocol for Vista is probably way over my head.

I'll see what Asante says. I may need to throw in the towel and buy a
new printer for the Vista laptop (and if it's an all-in-one, then my
wife can also use it for copying). I could still keep the old LaserJet
for the Macs (and yes, they're on AppleTalk). The "upgrade treadmill"
may have just caught up with me with this. Oh well, can't really
complain considering that I've been running a 14-year-old printer every
single day with a total throughput of about 250,000 pages. Darn HP
printer reliability ;-)

Thanks very much for the detailed instructions if I go that route.

Haraldo

--
Haraldo
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two
Do let us know how it works out. Yes, those HP LJ 5MP are excellent
units-even now after years of use.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Hi Alan and Tom,
>
> Tom, thanks for your help to now.
>
> Alan, thanks for jumping in here. I'm asking Asante what they have now.
> One issue could be that the old printer has no modern plugs - no USB, no
> Ethernet. And AppleTalk protocol for Vista is probably way over my head.
>
> I'll see what Asante says. I may need to throw in the towel and buy a
> new printer for the Vista laptop (and if it's an all-in-one, then my
> wife can also use it for copying). I could still keep the old LaserJet
> for the Macs (and yes, they're on AppleTalk). The "upgrade treadmill"
> may have just caught up with me with this. Oh well, can't really
> complain considering that I've been running a 14-year-old printer every
> single day with a total throughput of about 250,000 pages. Darn HP
> printer reliability ;-)
>
> Thanks very much for the detailed instructions if I go that route.
>
> Haraldo
>

> --
> Haraldo

Haraldo

Re: Vista with HP laserjet 5 - Take Two

Just heard back from Asante. "The AsanteTalk does not support TCP/IP.
It only passes AppleTalk. The AsanteTalk is intended to be used with
older Mac computers that do not have an Ethernet port. It is not
designed to be used with Vista based computers. "

Have new printer for Vista/PC.

Thanks all for help!

Haraldo