Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2009
H Brydon
 

Posts: n/a
How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver?
I have a Vista Home Basic computer on a (wired) network with a Windows 2000
machine. The Win2K machine has a Xerox XE90fx printer ('no longer
supported' by Xerox and the latest version not suitable for Vista), which
works fine on the Windows 2000 machine. I am trying to set up network
printing so that I can print from the Vista machine over the network. I
followed the following directions, thanks to Tom Ferguson:

> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in

the
> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in

the
> \\computername\printername


The last part of the process (unstated above) is to select a 'suitable'
print driver from a list, which is then installed on the Vista machine. To
make a long story short, I picked a driver that wasn't suitable and want to
back up and take another run at it. If I delete the printer created above
(ie. on the Vista machine) and make another attempt, it complains that I
can't add the printer because it already exists. The 'deleted' printer
seems to be gone correctly from the printer control panel but somehow the
machine 'remembers' it and thinks it is still there.

I guess I have 2 questions:
(1) How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver after it is
installed with one that doesn't work correctly?
(2) Does anybody know of a 'suitable' driver for a Xerox XE90fx printer for
use from Vista?

AtDhVaAnNkCsE

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2009
Tom Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver?
This might be useful for removing the drivers from the failed attempt..
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

Try the PCL5 driver here
http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...AN&Xlang=en_CA
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007



"H Brydon" <HBrydon@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:OzjJDP4pJHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I have a Vista Home Basic computer on a (wired) network with a Windows 2000
>machine. The Win2K machine has a Xerox XE90fx printer ('no longer
>supported' by Xerox and the latest version not suitable for Vista), which
>works fine on the Windows 2000 machine. I am trying to set up network
>printing so that I can print from the Vista machine over the network. I
>followed the following directions, thanks to Tom Ferguson:
>
> > Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
> >
> > Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in

> the
> > drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
> >
> > A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in

> the
> > \\computername\printername

>
> The last part of the process (unstated above) is to select a 'suitable'
> print driver from a list, which is then installed on the Vista machine.
> To make a long story short, I picked a driver that wasn't suitable and
> want to back up and take another run at it. If I delete the printer
> created above (ie. on the Vista machine) and make another attempt, it
> complains that I can't add the printer because it already exists. The
> 'deleted' printer seems to be gone correctly from the printer control
> panel but somehow the machine 'remembers' it and thinks it is still there.
>
> I guess I have 2 questions:
> (1) How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver after it is
> installed with one that doesn't work correctly?
> (2) Does anybody know of a 'suitable' driver for a Xerox XE90fx printer
> for use from Vista?
>
> AtDhVaAnNkCsE
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009
H Brydon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver?
Good news and bad news. The good news - thanks very much for the pointer to
getting rid of installed printers. It did the job.

Bad news - the xerox.com drivers still don't work. I don't know offhand
what the Xerox XE90fx printer language is but it seems not to be either
Postscript or PCL5. I tried the PCL 5 driver as you suggested below as well
as the postscript driver. Unfortunately, when printing from the Vista
computer, I get the Postscript or PCL printer language stuff printed on the
paper as text instead of the printer interpreting it as commands.

Does anybody know of a compatible network printer driver for the Xerox
XE90fx printer on Windows Vista? The printer is accessed over the network
to a completely functional Windows 2000 machine if that makes any
difference...


"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uk20JK5pJHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> This might be useful for removing the drivers from the failed attempt..
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> Try the PCL5 driver here
> http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...AN&Xlang=en_CA
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
>
>
> "H Brydon" <HBrydon@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:OzjJDP4pJHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>I have a Vista Home Basic computer on a (wired) network with a Windows
>>2000 machine. The Win2K machine has a Xerox XE90fx printer ('no longer
>>supported' by Xerox and the latest version not suitable for Vista), which
>>works fine on the Windows 2000 machine. I am trying to set up network
>>printing so that I can print from the Vista machine over the network. I
>>followed the following directions, thanks to Tom Ferguson:
>>
>> > Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>> >
>> > Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in

>> the
>> > drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>> >
>> > A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in

>> the
>> > \\computername\printername

>>
>> The last part of the process (unstated above) is to select a 'suitable'
>> print driver from a list, which is then installed on the Vista machine.
>> To make a long story short, I picked a driver that wasn't suitable and
>> want to back up and take another run at it. If I delete the printer
>> created above (ie. on the Vista machine) and make another attempt, it
>> complains that I can't add the printer because it already exists. The
>> 'deleted' printer seems to be gone correctly from the printer control
>> panel but somehow the machine 'remembers' it and thinks it is still
>> there.
>>
>> I guess I have 2 questions:
>> (1) How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver after it is
>> installed with one that doesn't work correctly?
>> (2) Does anybody know of a 'suitable' driver for a Xerox XE90fx printer
>> for use from Vista?
>>
>> AtDhVaAnNkCsE
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009
Tom Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver?
Sorry to say, you seem to have two choices at this point. 'Downgrade' to
Windows XP and use the printer with that or acquire a different printer to
use with Vista.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007


"H Brydon" <HBrydon@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ez4JqKQqJHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Good news and bad news. The good news - thanks very much for the pointer
> to getting rid of installed printers. It did the job.
>
> Bad news - the xerox.com drivers still don't work. I don't know offhand
> what the Xerox XE90fx printer language is but it seems not to be either
> Postscript or PCL5. I tried the PCL 5 driver as you suggested below as
> well as the postscript driver. Unfortunately, when printing from the
> Vista computer, I get the Postscript or PCL printer language stuff printed
> on the paper as text instead of the printer interpreting it as commands.
>
> Does anybody know of a compatible network printer driver for the Xerox
> XE90fx printer on Windows Vista? The printer is accessed over the network
> to a completely functional Windows 2000 machine if that makes any
> difference...
>
>
> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uk20JK5pJHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> This might be useful for removing the drivers from the failed attempt..
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>>
>> Try the PCL5 driver here
>> http://www.support.xerox.com/go/resu...AN&Xlang=en_CA
>> --
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>
>>
>>
>> "H Brydon" <HBrydon@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:OzjJDP4pJHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>I have a Vista Home Basic computer on a (wired) network with a Windows
>>>2000 machine. The Win2K machine has a Xerox XE90fx printer ('no longer
>>>supported' by Xerox and the latest version not suitable for Vista), which
>>>works fine on the Windows 2000 machine. I am trying to set up network
>>>printing so that I can print from the Vista machine over the network. I
>>>followed the following directions, thanks to Tom Ferguson:
>>>
>>> > Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>>> >
>>> > Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
>>> the
>>> > drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>>> >
>>> > A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type
>>> > in
>>> the
>>> > \\computername\printername
>>>
>>> The last part of the process (unstated above) is to select a 'suitable'
>>> print driver from a list, which is then installed on the Vista machine.
>>> To make a long story short, I picked a driver that wasn't suitable and
>>> want to back up and take another run at it. If I delete the printer
>>> created above (ie. on the Vista machine) and make another attempt, it
>>> complains that I can't add the printer because it already exists. The
>>> 'deleted' printer seems to be gone correctly from the printer control
>>> panel but somehow the machine 'remembers' it and thinks it is still
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I guess I have 2 questions:
>>> (1) How do I reinstall a printer with a different driver after it is
>>> installed with one that doesn't work correctly?
>>> (2) Does anybody know of a 'suitable' driver for a Xerox XE90fx printer
>>> for use from Vista?
>>>
>>> AtDhVaAnNkCsE
>>>

>>

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Keeps Asking Me to Reinstall My Printer jwarrengeorge microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 07-05-2008 10:22
Printer vanished and won't reinstall Paul H microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 4 01-22-2008 23:17
Can I use a shared printer on XP with a local printer driver on Vista Alex Ferenstein microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 11-08-2007 12:17
Article ID: 940523 A printer driver installation fails, or the printer does not work correctly when you use the Add Printer Driver wizard to update the driver in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Can't select a new specific USB printer driver when a compatible driver is already installed Walter J. Wierwille microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 05-29-2007 16:54




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:32.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120