How can I print from my laptop??

spoiltmom

How can I print from my laptop??

I have a desktop with XP and an HP Photosmart 7260. I have a laptop with
Vista Home premium 32 bit. I have them hooked up with a Netgear router.
I can view everything on my desktop from my laptop but I can't add a
printer to my laptop. The Best Buy guy told me to go on my laptop and
add a local printer but when I try that it finds the printer and then
says Windows cannot connect to the printer.Make sure that you have typed
the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network.

What now? I don't have a print server I just want to print from my
laptop through my desktop.

Thanks!

Amanda

--
spoiltmom
Malke

Re: How can I print from my laptop??
spoiltmom wrote:

> I have a desktop with XP and an HP Photosmart 7260. I have a laptop with
> Vista Home premium 32 bit. I have them hooked up with a Netgear router.
> I can view everything on my desktop from my laptop but I can't add a
> printer to my laptop. The Best Buy guy told me to go on my laptop and
> add a local printer but when I try that it finds the printer and then
> says Windows cannot connect to the printer.Make sure that you have typed
> the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network.
>
> What now? I don't have a print server I just want to print from my
> laptop through my desktop.

So you can successfully transfer a file from the Vista machine to the XP box
and vice versa? According to HP, there are no advanced drivers available
for your printer but the basic drivers are built in:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=305337

So if you've shared the printer from the XP box, you should be able to
follow HP's instructions at the link above. You may need to install the
printer as a local printer.

Vista - How to install a printer that is connected locally to another
computer if the driver installation routine doesn't help:

Go to Control Panel. Choose Printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex: \\mycomputer\HPDJ (This obviously will be the name of the XP box and
the shared printer).

Click Next.

Under the Manufacturers list, select HP and the correct printer from the
Printers List.

Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes"
and click Next.

When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jryprt

spoiltmom;992850 Wrote:
> I have a desktop with XP and an HP Photosmart 7260. I have a laptop with
> Vista Home premium 32 bit. I have them hooked up with a Netgear router.
> I can view everything on my desktop from my laptop but I can't add a
> printer to my laptop. The Best Buy guy told me to go on my laptop and
> add a local printer but when I try that it finds the printer and then
> says Windows cannot connect to the printer.Make sure that you have typed
> the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network.
>
> What now? I don't have a print server I just want to print from my
> laptop through my desktop.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amanda

Do you have your printer set to share in xp ?

--
jryprt
Dustin Harper

Re: How can I print from my laptop??
On your desktop, you can share your printer. Go to the Printers in the
control panel, right click and click "Sharing...". Give it a name and share.

On your laptop, add a network (or remote) printer. You can browse to the
desktop and select the attached printer. If it can't find it, you may have
to manually put in the name of your desktop and the name of the printer
(//desktop/printer).

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

"spoiltmom" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a desktop with XP and an HP Photosmart 7260. I have a laptop with
> Vista Home premium 32 bit. I have them hooked up with a Netgear router.
> I can view everything on my desktop from my laptop but I can't add a
> printer to my laptop. The Best Buy guy told me to go on my laptop and
> add a local printer but when I try that it finds the printer and then
> says Windows cannot connect to the printer.Make sure that you have typed
> the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network.
>
> What now? I don't have a print server I just want to print from my
> laptop through my desktop.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amanda
>

> --
> spoiltmom

spoiltmom

Re: How can I print from my laptop??

Yes it is set to share and my laptop still can't access it.

--
spoiltmom
spoiltmom

Re: How can I print from my laptop??

Okay I have it installed on my laptop now but the status says Error and
it won't print.

--
spoiltmom