Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer

KrisGibbins

Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
Hi, I have a network with four XP computers on and have recently added a
Vista Laptop successfully. All documents are shared fine and internet access
is fine.
Heres the tricky part,
2 of the XP computers have printers attached to them,
When connecting the Vista laptop to a printer on one of them, it works fine,
When connecting the Vista laptop to any printer on the other one of them, it
comes up with a message saying 'WINDOWS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE PRINTER. ACCESS
IS DENIED'.
I have tried many different ways and checked sharing permissions etc but
cannot find a solution. Can someone help?

Just as an added note - to connect to the printer from one XP machine to the
'problem xp machine' is no problem. Only from vista to the one machine.

(The problem machine is a HP pavillion.)
MGHANES

RE: Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
Hi Cris.....i had a similar problem. NORTON prohibited the connection.Mike

KrisGibbins

RE: Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
Completely removed Norton and still didnt work.

"MGHANES" wrote:

> Hi Cris.....i had a similar problem. NORTON prohibited the connection.Mike
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
open a command prompt and view the print$ share on the XP machine

dir \\XPmachine\print$

if you get access denied that's the issue.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"KrisGibbins" <KrisGibbins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Completely removed Norton and still didnt work.
>
> "MGHANES" wrote:
>
>> Hi Cris.....i had a similar problem. NORTON prohibited the
>> connection.Mike
>>

>> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

KrisGibbins

Re: Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
this is what came up when i typed in what i understood you wanting me to type
in command prompt.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>\\LASER\PRINT$
The network path was not found.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>dir \\LASER\PRINT$
Volume in drive \\LASER\PRINT$ is HP_PAVILION
Volume Serial Number is 409F-AD83

Directory of \\LASER\PRINT$

13/03/2009 15:38 <DIR> .
13/03/2009 15:38 <DIR> ..
16/03/2009 14:32 <DIR> color
12/12/2008 03:15 <DIR> w32x86
13/03/2009 15:39 <DIR> x64
0 File(s) 0 bytes
5 Dir(s) 6,841,982,976 bytes free

could i send you my email address for more direct help maybe?
i dont use forums very often etc.
Thanks for the help so far though
Kris

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> open a command prompt and view the print$ share on the XP machine
>
> dir \\XPmachine\print$
>

> if you get access denied that's the issue.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "KrisGibbins" <KrisGibbins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Completely removed Norton and still didnt work.
> >
> > "MGHANES" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Cris.....i had a similar problem. NORTON prohibited the
> >> connection.Mike
> >>

> >> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Laptop connecting to XP network printer
try installing the Vista driver on the laptop before making the connection

is the laptop a 32bit machine?