Canon Printer won't download on new computer

Dar

Canon Printer won't download on new computer
I have Window Vista Home Premium SP 1 64-bit operating system IE 7
I have a Canon Pixma MP500 that was purchased in 2006, and it will not
download on my computer. I went to canon website and downloaded the driver
and then put in the old CD and did what it said and it said something like
this is not for 64-bit OS. Now I am not a computer wizard so I have a lot to
learn. Please help.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
the CD only includes 32bit print drivers

Will the Canon Inkjet MP500 Series included in Vista work for the device?
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news680B670-6B46-4213-8616-A3F4DA16FEDC@microsoft.com...
>I have Window Vista Home Premium SP 1 64-bit operating system IE 7
> I have a Canon Pixma MP500 that was purchased in 2006, and it will not
> download on my computer. I went to canon website and downloaded the driver
> and then put in the old CD and did what it said and it said something
> like
> this is not for 64-bit OS. Now I am not a computer wizard so I have a lot
> learn. Please help.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
As a suggested PS to Alan's information:

If the driver included on the DVD for Windows Vista 64 is not available to
you, there is one on the Canon web site. If you go that route, be sure to
check out the installation instructions. In particular, do not plug the
printer into the computer until you are directed to by the instructions or
on-screen prompts when installing the software/drivers.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news680B670-6B46-4213-8616-A3F4DA16FEDC@microsoft.com...
>I have Window Vista Home Premium SP 1 64-bit operating system IE 7
> I have a Canon Pixma MP500 that was purchased in 2006, and it will not
> download on my computer. I went to canon website and downloaded the driver
> and then put in the old CD and did what it said and it said something
> like
> this is not for 64-bit OS. Now I am not a computer wizard so I have a lot
> learn. Please help.

Dar

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
I did download the driver from Canon web site and then I put the CD that came
with my printer and it said (something )does not support the 64 driver. (
something likie that) I am a beginer when it comes to things like this. So
Canon said they are sending me the driver to download. But if I did it from
the web site and put in the CD and it did not work, Do I need new software
to? Or maybe I did not do somehting right. Could it be the software CD that
came with the printer?
The printer worked with my last computer but it was a 32 bit.

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> As a suggested PS to Alan's information:
>
> If the driver included on the DVD for Windows Vista 64 is not available to
> you, there is one on the Canon web site. If you go that route, be sure to
> check out the installation instructions. In particular, do not plug the
> printer into the computer until you are directed to by the instructions or
> on-screen prompts when installing the software/drivers.
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news680B670-6B46-4213-8616-A3F4DA16FEDC@microsoft.com...
> >I have Window Vista Home Premium SP 1 64-bit operating system IE 7
> > I have a Canon Pixma MP500 that was purchased in 2006, and it will not
> > download on my computer. I went to canon website and downloaded the driver
> > and then put in the old CD and did what it said and it said something
> > like
> > this is not for 64-bit OS. Now I am not a computer wizard so I have a lot
> > learn. Please help.

Tom Ferguson

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
Go to the website and check the instructions to install the driver using the
file you got from the web site. Do _NOT_ use the CD or DVD that came with
the printer.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

>I did download the driver from Canon web site and then I put the CD that
>came
> with my printer and it said (something )does not support the 64 driver. (
> something likie that) I am a beginer when it comes to things like this. So
> Canon said they are sending me the driver to download. But if I did it
> from
> the web site and put in the CD and it did not work, Do I need new software
> to? Or maybe I did not do somehting right. Could it be the software CD
> that
> came with the printer?
> The printer worked with my last computer but it was a 32 bit.
>
> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> As a suggested PS to Alan's information:
>>
>> If the driver included on the DVD for Windows Vista 64 is not available
>> you, there is one on the Canon web site. If you go that route, be sure to
>> check out the installation instructions. In particular, do not plug the
>> printer into the computer until you are directed to by the instructions
>> or
>> on-screen prompts when installing the software/drivers.
>> --
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>

>> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news680B670-6B46-4213-8616-A3F4DA16FEDC@microsoft.com...
>> >I have Window Vista Home Premium SP 1 64-bit operating system IE 7
>> > I have a Canon Pixma MP500 that was purchased in 2006, and it will not
>> > download on my computer. I went to canon website and downloaded the
>> > driver
>> > and then put in the old CD and did what it said and it said something
>> > like
>> > this is not for 64-bit OS. Now I am not a computer wizard so I have a
>> > lot
>> > learn. Please help.

Dar

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
Ok thanks. Canon is sending me the disc and I will download the driver from
there. I hope any dummy can do it. I have another question but I don't know
if I ask it here but here goes. Do you know anything about ATF-Cleaner the
website is Atribune.org. I just got this computer and it an HP Pavilion
dv5-1235 dx Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to call HP for some info on
Lightscribe I was having trouble so they took control of my computer and he
downloaded ATF cleaner from his side without my permission. He said that this
is a good program to get rid of all file you don't need. I tried contacting
HP about this and they have not got back to me yet.

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Go to the website and check the instructions to install the driver using the
> file you got from the web site. Do _NOT_ use the CD or DVD that came with
> the printer.
>

> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did download the driver from Canon web site and then I put the CD that
> >came
> > with my printer and it said (something )does not support the 64 driver. (
> > something likie that) I am a beginer when it comes to things like this. So
> > Canon said they are sending me the driver to download. But if I did it
> > from
> > the web site and put in the CD and it did not work, Do I need new software
> > to? Or maybe I did not do somehting right. Could it be the software CD
> > that
> > came with the printer?
> > The printer worked with my last computer but it was a 32 bit.
> >
> > "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> As a suggested PS to Alan's information:
> >>
> >> If the driver included on the DVD for Windows Vista 64 is not available
> >> you, there is one on the Canon web site. If you go that route, be sure to
> >> check out the installation instructions. In particular, do not plug the
> >> printer into the computer until you are directed to by the instructions
> >> or
> >> on-screen prompts when installing the software/drivers.
> >> --
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> MSMVP 1998-2007
> >>

> >> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news680B670-6B46-4213-8616-A3F4DA16FEDC@microsoft.com...

Tom Ferguson

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about ATF-Cleaner and have never used it.
I did a quick look-around. It appears to be a simple program for deleting
files in certain temporary folders used by Windows, IE, Firefox, Opera.
Perhaps others.

I don't usually recommend any of these but, as I said, I have no experience
with this one.

I am surprised that any person employed by a reputable entity, such as is
HP, would do what you report.

All the best.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Ok thanks. Canon is sending me the disc and I will download the driver
> from
> there. I hope any dummy can do it. I have another question but I don't
> know
> if I ask it here but here goes. Do you know anything about ATF-Cleaner the
> website is Atribune.org. I just got this computer and it an HP Pavilion
> dv5-1235 dx Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to call HP for some info on
> Lightscribe I was having trouble so they took control of my computer and
> he
> downloaded ATF cleaner from his side without my permission. He said that
> this
> is a good program to get rid of all file you don't need. I tried
> contacting
> HP about this and they have not got back to me yet.
>

> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Go to the website and check the instructions to install the driver using
>> the
>> file you got from the web site. Do _NOT_ use the CD or DVD that came with
>> the printer.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>

>> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I did download the driver from Canon web site and then I put the CD that
>> >came
>> > with my printer and it said (something )does not support the 64 driver.
>> > (
>> > something likie that) I am a beginer when it comes to things like this.
>> > So
>> > Canon said they are sending me the driver to download. But if I did it
>> > from
>> > the web site and put in the CD and it did not work, Do I need new
>> > software
>> > to? Or maybe I did not do somehting right. Could it be the software CD
>> > that
>> > came with the printer?
>> > The printer worked with my last computer but it was a 32 bit.

Dar

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
I was to. I email HP and asked why you allow someone to add ATF Cleaner to my
computer without my permission. They said it would not harm my computer and
if I did not want it just delete it. I am not satisfied with what they said
so I am going furhter. I did delete it though. Do you use a cleaner? If so
can you give me one that I could use. I do have Kaspersky Internet Security
2009. Is that enough? Thanks for any help.

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about ATF-Cleaner and have never used it.
> I did a quick look-around. It appears to be a simple program for deleting
> files in certain temporary folders used by Windows, IE, Firefox, Opera.
> Perhaps others.
>
> I don't usually recommend any of these but, as I said, I have no experience
> with this one.
>
> I am surprised that any person employed by a reputable entity, such as is
> HP, would do what you report.
>
> All the best.
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok thanks. Canon is sending me the disc and I will download the driver
> > from
> > there. I hope any dummy can do it. I have another question but I don't
> > know
> > if I ask it here but here goes. Do you know anything about ATF-Cleaner the
> > website is Atribune.org. I just got this computer and it an HP Pavilion
> > dv5-1235 dx Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to call HP for some info on
> > Lightscribe I was having trouble so they took control of my computer and
> > he
> > downloaded ATF cleaner from his side without my permission. He said that
> > this
> > is a good program to get rid of all file you don't need. I tried
> > contacting
> > HP about this and they have not got back to me yet.
> >

> > "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to the website and check the instructions to install the driver using
> >> the
> >> file you got from the web site. Do _NOT_ use the CD or DVD that came with
> >> the printer.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> MSMVP 1998-2007

Dar

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
I need more help I was told by someone on hear that when I ask a question I
should you the same thread. I don't know how to do that. I wanted to know if
the google tool bar is a good thing to download. I need something with spell
check. And I do not want to download anything that is going to make my
computer crazy with problems. Please help

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about ATF-Cleaner and have never used it.
> I did a quick look-around. It appears to be a simple program for deleting
> files in certain temporary folders used by Windows, IE, Firefox, Opera.
> Perhaps others.
>
> I don't usually recommend any of these but, as I said, I have no experience
> with this one.
>
> I am surprised that any person employed by a reputable entity, such as is
> HP, would do what you report.
>
> All the best.
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Dar" <Dar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok thanks. Canon is sending me the disc and I will download the driver
> > from
> > there. I hope any dummy can do it. I have another question but I don't
> > know
> > if I ask it here but here goes. Do you know anything about ATF-Cleaner the
> > website is Atribune.org. I just got this computer and it an HP Pavilion
> > dv5-1235 dx Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to call HP for some info on
> > Lightscribe I was having trouble so they took control of my computer and
> > he
> > downloaded ATF cleaner from his side without my permission. He said that
> > this
> > is a good program to get rid of all file you don't need. I tried
> > contacting
> > HP about this and they have not got back to me yet.
> >

> > "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to the website and check the instructions to install the driver using
> >> the
> >> file you got from the web site. Do _NOT_ use the CD or DVD that came with
> >> the printer.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> MSMVP 1998-2007

Tom Ferguson

Re: Canon Printer won't download on new computer
Best practice in newsgroups is to start a new thread for a new topic and
reply to the thread for further questions/answers on a topic being actively
discussed. In this way, the discussion does not get as confused or
confusing, one hopes.

Some folks like various toolbars. I do not like any of them. In the past,
some of them have been said to be spyware or malware. This description does
not include the Google toolbar; however, it does nothing I either need or
want.

I am confused by the reference to the spellchecker. What do you need the
spellchecker for?
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007