Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200

Skoch

Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200

Hello everyone!

I hope you can help me.
I have the following problem:
My LaserJet 3200 is connected to the server (WinServer 2008 x64) via
USB.
I need to share this printer to all clients in the network which all
have XP32-Bit Prof. So I shared it to all users.
On the server the printer role is already installed as well as AD and
Hyper-V.
When I try to install additional drivers for the Clients the server
give me two errors:

"Unable to install HP Universal Printing PCL 5, Type 3 - User Mode, x86
driver. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000002)"

and

"Failed to add driver. Operation could not be completed (error
0x00000578)"

Google doesnt help and a solution is yet nowhere to be found

I already read an older article on this forum - it's written to diable
UAC - but the problem persists.

Do you have any advice for me

Most Kind Regards

-Stefan

--
Skoch
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200
error 2 is file not found.

Is the x64 machine using the Universal driver? If it is not, the 32 bit
clients cannot create an RPC connection to the print share.

Are you adding the driver on the x64 machine pointing to 32bit unidrv files
or are you adding the 32bit driver remotely to the x64 machine using a 32bit
client?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Skoch" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello everyone!
>
> I hope you can help me.
> I have the following problem:
> My LaserJet 3200 is connected to the server (WinServer 2008 x64) via
> USB.
> I need to share this printer to all clients in the network which all
> have XP32-Bit Prof. So I shared it to all users.
> On the server the printer role is already installed as well as AD and
> Hyper-V.
> When I try to install additional drivers for the Clients the server
> give me two errors:
>
> "Unable to install HP Universal Printing PCL 5, Type 3 - User Mode, x86
> driver. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000002)"
>
> and
>
> "Failed to add driver. Operation could not be completed (error
> 0x00000578)"
>
> Google doesnt help and a solution is yet nowhere to be found
>
> I already read an older article on this forum - it's written to diable
> UAC - but the problem persists.
>
> Do you have any advice for me
>
> Most Kind Regards
>
> -Stefan
>

> --
> Skoch

Skoch

Re: Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200

Hello Alan and thank you a lot for your prompt reply

Is the x64 machine using the Universal driver? If it is not, the 32
bit
clients cannot create an RPC connection to the print share.
-I downloaded and tried to add the universal driver to the print server
role, but when i try to do this, the server refueses to accept the
drivers like described in my initial posting.

Are you adding the driver on the x64 machine pointing to 32bit unidrv
files
or are you adding the 32bit driver remotely to the x64 machine using a
32bit
client?
Till now I attempted to add the printer from the client computer, using
the add printer wizard of XP. It all looks quite fine until the machine
wants to install the driver - a error msg "the server has not the
correct drivers" (or close to this) installed.

Any help is much appreciated.

TIA and beste Regards

Stefan

--
Skoch
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200
XP does not understand the decorated infs for x64.

The 32bit and 64bit driver names have to match exactly in order for the
32bit clients to get the 32bit drivers from the server

I avoid the Universal drivers from any vendor since my preference is a
driver that has the configuration options for the specific device rather
than a bunch that are not supported on the device.

I would use the driver included in Server 2008 to create the print queue,
then open Manage Sharing in printmanagement.msc to install the 32bit
additional driver and point to a Vista machine (or Server 2008 x86) to get
the drivers.

\\VISTA\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filereposi tory\prnhp001.........

when prompted for core drivers point to
\\VISTA\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filereposi tory\ntprint....

--

> Hello Alan and thank you a lot for your prompt reply
>
> Is the x64 machine using the Universal driver? If it is not, the 32
> bit
> clients cannot create an RPC connection to the print share.
> -I downloaded and tried to add the universal driver to the print server
> role, but when i try to do this, the server refueses to accept the
> drivers like described in my initial posting.
>
> Are you adding the driver on the x64 machine pointing to 32bit unidrv
> files
> or are you adding the 32bit driver remotely to the x64 machine using a
> 32bit
> client?
> Till now I attempted to add the printer from the client computer, using
> the add printer wizard of XP. It all looks quite fine until the machine
> wants to install the driver - a error msg "the server has not the
> correct drivers" (or close to this) installed.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> TIA and beste Regards
>
> Stefan
>

> --
> Skoch

Skoch

Re: Server2008 refuses driver installation of HP Laserjet 3200

Hello Alan,

thank you so much for your help!
I got the driver now installed on the server!

Basically its quite easy

What I did:

-copy the HP-Files from a x86 Vista
(\\VISTA\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepos itory\prnhp001) to the
server 2008 x64 machine
-open the printmanagement.msc
-open the drivers section
-add the x86 driver pointing to the files copied from the vista x86
machine
-add printer on XP 32-Bit via Ip-Adress
and there it is!

Thank you