wireless printing :(

jackcool90

wireless printing :(

Right, I have a dell inspiron 1525 running Vista home premium connected
to a wireless network router wirelessly for use of the internet, i also
have a dell PC downstairs (XP) which is connected to the same router
with a wireless USB stick thing. The PC downstairs has a printer
connected to it in the USB port. How can i use the printer from my
laptop, do i need to set up some sort of home network? how do i go about
printing on the printer downstairs from my laptop upstairs?

i will provide as much info as i can to help, im pretty useless with
computers

thanks, j

--
jackcool90
Tom E

Re: wireless printing :(

"jackcool90" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Right, I have a dell inspiron 1525 running Vista home premium connected
> to a wireless network router wirelessly for use of the internet, i also
> have a dell PC downstairs (XP) which is connected to the same router
> with a wireless USB stick thing. The PC downstairs has a printer
> connected to it in the USB port. How can i use the printer from my
> laptop, do i need to set up some sort of home network? how do i go about
> printing on the printer downstairs from my laptop upstairs?
>
> i will provide as much info as i can to help, im pretty useless with
> computers
>
> thanks, j
>

> --
> jackcool90

by using the Printers and Faxes then Add a printer on the upstairs
comp...........select Network printer when asked which type.

jackcool90

Re: wireless printing :(

yeah i have tried that, but the printer downstairs isnt on a network. i
dont even have a network lol

> yeah i have tried that, but the printer downstairs isnt on a network. i
> dont even have a network lol
>

> --
> jackcool90

you have 2 computers that transmit and receive Internet data wirelessly via
1 router.........yes.

On 1 computer you have a printer attached............yes.

You have a capable network then......you just need to sort out a few
differences that might be blocking the network. What you appear not to have
is connectivity between each computer. Plus possible blockages due to
firewalls or some other security software. You may have to sort out File and
Printer sharing as well.

1. Both computers should have the same name.....normally WORKGROUP

In System Properties you should find a link to change the computers name.
For Vista this should help.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

In XP go Start, My Computer then top left View system information click
Computer Name tab then the Change button.

Name both comps WORKGROUP or whatever else you like.

Now restart both comps.

When they have both restarted try the Printer wizard again.

If it still does not work, disable Windows Firewall and any other security
software running on both comps.

Now try the Printer wizard again and report back.

jaseller

RE: wireless printing :(