Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/)
-   microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/)
-   -   Printer Will Not Print (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/341581-printer-will-not-print.html)

aelover77 03-06-2009 20:46

Printer Will Not Print

So i got a Dot Matrix Panasonic KX P2123 for my computer. My use of this
is for tatoo stencils in which you dont need the ribbon and such. But I
just got it todayand went to hook it up to my computer and hooked it up
with a parallel/USB cord. Once I did so, I went to add printer, and
added it just fine, automatically had the driver installed. Which I was
trilled about!

Then I went to print a test page as prompted with adding a printer and
got nothing.
Then I tried from photoshop. Nothing. And from irfan view. Nothing. In
the buffer it says error. I cant seem to figure out what I am doing
wrong I will include pictures to see if anyone may know of have
suggestions! Thanks!

[image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2688.jpg][image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2682.jpg]
[image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2684.jpg]
[image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2686.jpg][image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2687.jpg][image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../102_2688.jpg]

--
aelover77

Alan Morris [MSFT] 03-06-2009 22:12

Re: Printer Will Not Print

I suggest a parallel port rather than the USB/parallel converter cable.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

aelover77 03-06-2009 22:28

Re: Printer Will Not Print

I no I don't have a parallel port on the pc is it hard to do what's the
difference

--
aelover77

Tom Ferguson 03-06-2009 23:13

Re: Printer Will Not Print

http://www.mysterybyte.com/index.htm...e=sidepart.htm

aelover77 03-06-2009 23:40

Re: Printer Will Not Print

I guess my question is what's the difference in parallel to parallel to
USB parallel

--
aelover77

Tom Ferguson 03-07-2009 00:58

Re: Printer Will Not Print

I am not sure of the context in which you expect an answer. So, let me put
it this way:

The engineers who developed the Panasonic XK 2123 printer designed it for a
particular set of hardware which was described by a well-formulated,
well-described specification. It was designed to connect to a(n IBM-type) PC
using a particular connector and using a protocol which is covered by the
IEEE 1284 specification. It is often referred to as a Centronics port,
particularly in older literature. From this follows the suggestion to
install a card with a parallel port in your computer if it now does not have
one. Also, from this follows the suggestion to set the BIOS in the computer
to SPP. This is what the printer was engineered to use.

If you use a USB to parallel converter, it might work without any problem if
you are sure to select a device that is designed to provide output as for a
device expecting IEEE 1284-specified communication. Not all of them do. It
is not always east to determine which of the available devices meet this
requirement. It is not always plainly stated in the product description.
Sometimes you have to 'dig deeper' to get the specification documentation
for the device.

Since the option to install a parallel port card is almost always present
for desktop units, it is the preferred option. Since it is rarely possible
to install such a device on a laptop/notebook/netbook that lacks a parallel
port, either a cardbus to parallel or USB to parallel provide the only
options.

Since we are on the topic: I would also suggest that you use a parallel
printer cable of high quality that is IEEE A certified, not just IEEE
compliant. The possible issues here are the provision of appropriate cable
conductors/connections for full bi-directional support and signal quality
including cross-talk rejection.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Alan Morris [MSFT] 03-09-2009 20:30

Re: Printer Will Not Print

I'm stealing this explanation Tom. Good job!

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Tom Ferguson 03-10-2009 04:38