Panasonic kx-p1123

aelover77

Panasonic kx-p1123

I posted a question previously about two dot matrix printers. I have
found a

PANASONIC KX-P1123
for a fairly good price and was wondering if this was compatible with
Vista? I am dumb founded as to what a parallel port is. Currently I
have a HP c6280 all in one hooked up for my everyday use. On the other
hand the panasonic is going to be used to make tattoo stencils?

--
aelover77
Chuck

Re: Panasonic kx-p1123
As a generic ASCII text printer, it "should be". (not a common windows
printing mode, used mainly by programmers and such things as point of sale
systems)
As a graphics printer, it's doubtfull. (and horribly slow) Check to see if
drivers are available(did not see on panasonic web site). They were "built
in" in Win XP
To work properly as a graphics printer, a dot matrix printer must have
enough memory to store data for at least one bi-directional pass of the
printing head. Most of the older dot matrix printers did not have enough
memory to do this, without an optional memory module. Memory size was
gotten around for ASCII text by in printer translation on the fly to
character dot patterns. even so, many of the printers only had enough memory
to print the equivilent of 1/2 of a line in true graphics mode. The
bi-diretional bit is needed to prevent starting and stopping of the head
during a pass. When a printer gets a bit of wear, misalignment becomes
noticable in graphics when the head starts and stops, and when the head is
used in bi-directional mode.
First, before windows, the serial port was a common standard for printer
interfaces. (I don't want to get into TTY I/O) Next, the parallel interface
was a popular "standard"(not so standard, really). Now USB and wireless are
popular, and parallel and serial ports are fast disappearing from new P/Cs
and laptops.

"aelover77" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I posted a question previously about two dot matrix printers. I have
> found a
>

> PANASONIC KX-P1123
> for a fairly good price and was wondering if this was compatible with
> Vista? I am dumb founded as to what a parallel port is. Currently I
> have a HP c6280 all in one hooked up for my everyday use. On the other
> hand the panasonic is going to be used to make tattoo stencils?
>

> --
> aelover77

Andrew Rossmann

Re: Panasonic kx-p1123
In article <620bf32150b94d802b338cda9bace88e@nntp-gateway.com>,
guest@unknown-email.com says...
> I posted a question previously about two dot matrix printers. I have
> found a
> PANASONIC KX-P1123
> for a fairly good price and was wondering if this was compatible with
> Vista? I am dumb founded as to what a parallel port is. Currently I
> have a HP c6280 all in one hooked up for my everyday use. On the other
> hand the panasonic is going to be used to make tattoo stencils?

Your computer may or may not have a parallel port. A parallel port will
be on the back of the computer, typically grouped with several other
connectors. It will be a large rectangular connector with 25 holes. You
will also need the proper cable. One end is a 25-pin connector, and the
other is a large flattened D-shaped connector with 37 pins.

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Parallel_(PC)
http://www.hardwarebook.info/Centronics

There are also some USB-to-parallel adapters that will let you use a
parallel port printer on a USB port. I would think it'll work OK with a
basic printer using a stock Microsoft driver.

I assume you need the dot-matrix because you need multiple copies or
some other reason for physical pins?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Tom Ferguson

Re: Panasonic kx-p1123
Yes, Vista has drivers for the Panasonic KX-P1123. They are on the Vista
DVD.

If your computer does not have a parallel port, and if it is a desktop or
tower computer and has a free slot, I would install a PCI Parallel port card
rather than use a Parallel to USB adapter.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007