Are x64 print drivers only offered on x64 system?

Clark

Are x64 print drivers only offered on x64 system?
I was just wondering, on an x64 install, if the print drivers offered in
the wizard during an add printer sequence, are only x64 bit ones. If
not, is there a way to tell the difference?

Thanks,
Clark
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Are x64 print drivers only offered on x64 system?
yes the Add Printer wizard only shows the list of drivers for the
architecture of the OS.

Use Add Driver in printmanagement.msc (Ultimate) or from printers folder
Server Properties, Drivers in all versions to add other architecture
drivers.

PS. I have a troubleshooting tip: in Safe Mode, the spooler service is not
started.

But please continue to assist others in the quest for squiggly lines on
paper.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Clark" <no-s-pam@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>I was just wondering, on an x64 install, if the print drivers offered in
>the wizard during an add printer sequence, are only x64 bit ones. If not,
>is there a way to tell the difference?
>
> Thanks,
> Clark

Clark

Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:
> yes the Add Printer wizard only shows the list of drivers for the
> architecture of the OS.
>
> Use Add Driver in printmanagement.msc (Ultimate) or from printers folder
> Server Properties, Drivers in all versions to add other architecture
> drivers.
>
> PS. I have a troubleshooting tip: in Safe Mode, the spooler service is not
> started.
>
> But please continue to assist others in the quest for squiggly lines on
> paper.

OK, in order to assist others, I need to know where in the registry the
"default printer selection" is kept. Since I just went through this and
ended up deleting all instances of the default printer in the registry.
I was hoping there would just be one place necessary to delete, which
would get rid of the errant selection and hopefully allow the Print
Spooler to start in normal mode.

I was looking at:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

Also, you have to understand I did not know the Print Spooler was
responsible for populating the printer information in the Printers box.:-)

Clark
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Are x64 print drivers only offered on x64 system?
No problem, thanks for helping out others.

You have the correct reg location. Clear the Device data, then stop and
start the spooler. net stop spooler net start spooler

If you need some additional information regarding the installation of x64
print drivers on x86 machines sharing printers create a new post or read
through some of the old ones. The main gotcha is, the driver name has to be
the same.