Stopped Printing

PaulN

Stopped Printing

I have an epson R300m which I've been using with no problems for a
couple of years on both XP and now vista. All of a sudden the printer
has stopped printing completely.

The printer has power and is completing its startup routine it just
won't print. The prints appear in the queue and everything appears fine
just nothing prints. When I try to remove the prints from the queue it
says deleting but nothing happens, i have to remove them through the
control panel admin tools and by stopping the print spooler.

I have tried deleting the printer through the control panel but it
hangs and I get a not responding message and I have to cancel out of it.

I've updated all my windows drivers and I have an updated Vista. I've
tried a different USB socket and this makes no difference.

I get no error messages or anything, it just won't print, it won't even
print a test page.

Now here's the rub, I've connected the printer to another PC and it
worked fine, so I have come to the conclusion that the problem lays
somewhere with the software and in particular Vista. I can only think
that I've inadvertantly something recently which has caused this, I
looked at restoring but my restore points are quite recent so I don't
think this will help.

My problem now is how do I diagnose the problem so I can fix it.

Help Please !!!!!

--
PaulN
Clark

Re: Stopped Printing
PaulN wrote:
> I have an epson R300m which I've been using with no problems for a
> couple of years on both XP and now vista. All of a sudden the printer
> has stopped printing completely.
>
> The printer has power and is completing its startup routine it just
> won't print. The prints appear in the queue and everything appears fine
> just nothing prints. When I try to remove the prints from the queue it
> says deleting but nothing happens, i have to remove them through the
> control panel admin tools and by stopping the print spooler.
>
> I have tried deleting the printer through the control panel but it
> hangs and I get a not responding message and I have to cancel out of it.
>
> I've updated all my windows drivers and I have an updated Vista. I've
> tried a different USB socket and this makes no difference.
>
> I get no error messages or anything, it just won't print, it won't even
> print a test page.
>
> Now here's the rub, I've connected the printer to another PC and it
> worked fine, so I have come to the conclusion that the problem lays
> somewhere with the software and in particular Vista. I can only think
> that I've inadvertantly something recently which has caused this, I
> looked at restoring but my restore points are quite recent so I don't
> think this will help.
>
> My problem now is how do I diagnose the problem so I can fix it.
>
> Help Please !!!!!

Does this behavior occur with all applications, such as Notepad?

Have you tried removing the printer while in safe mode?

Did you change anything regarding printers, such as adding a new one?

Have you checked the port configuration for that printer?

I don't understand that much about printer problems, but I am
researching for my own situations.

Clark
PaulN

Re: Stopped Printing

It won't print from any application.

I've swapped USB sockets and it makes no difference.

I started the PC in safe mode but could not see how to remove the
printer. There was a remove hardware option but this only listed an
external USB storage device, which interestingly enough I do not have.

I'm wondering if this is something to do with the problem, however I
know the PC is recognising the printer as it appears online.

--
PaulN