What is a simple way to fax!

makinit70462

What is a simple way to fax!

I have a all-in-one Lexmark Printer/Fax. My question is what is the best
way to use my lexmark to fax? The Fax software enclosed with the lexmark
is for the birds. I have tried going to lexmark website, but it's
useless to find what you want there. Is there a simple way of being able
to fax. One of the main problems I am having with the lexmark fax
software is when I start the application it doesn't detect my
modem/drivers, although I am sure my modem and drivers are installed and
working fine. One thing I am unsure of is whether or not I can fax
through my current phone line. My phone line was hooked up through my
ISP, in which I think it is digital (maybe VOIP) so I don't know if that
would work or not. If anyone could enlighten me on this subject I would
greatly appreciate it. I am running Vista Home Premium with 2Ghz(Duo)
processor, 4gig Ram, 200Gb HD with Lexmark X4530 all in one
printer/scanner (network printer/wireless)

--
makinit70462
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Re: What is a simple way to fax!
First off, the only Fax software that will recognize and use your Lexmark
AIO is what you have from Lexmark. Any traditional Fax application will
ONLY work with a standard Fax modem, something your Lexmark is not. As
such, it would be very doubtful if the Lexmark application would know
anything about a standard Fax modem. If you have Vista Business or
Ultimate, you have an included fax application that will work with a
standard fax modem, Windows Fax and Scan, which should do the job for you.
As to whether it will work with your phone line, that's up to the VoIP box.
Most of these allow you to connect an analog telephone and, if you can do
this, you can certainly connect an analog Fax modem to it. It may or may
not work, depending on whether or not the VoIP folks you use will allow Fax
transmissions without charging you extra money for the service. You'll
have to ask them. If you have Vista Home or Basic, Windows Fax and Scan is
NOT included and you'll need a Vista compatible third party Fax application,
such as one of these:

Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/
RKSFax
http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
VentaFax
http://www.ventafax.com/
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will
work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet
connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/serv...tm#internetfax
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com