Printer colors are not true

Caillah

Printer colors are not true
I don't know where to turn for assistance on this. I have read that Vista
has a good color management system. I know that to get true colors printed
I need to calibrate my monitor (which I did using an online calibration
program and also using the Corel PSP Photo X2 program). Even using these
profiles the colors are way off. I have also tried to load the pre-set
profiles for my printer but Vista does not seem to accept them.

My system is: Vista
Ben Q monitor FP202W
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS video card
Canon Pixma 4200 printer
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 editing software

I figured that I needed to calibrate the printer to print what I see on my
monitor. The tech guy at the shop says I need to calibrate the monitor to
the printer. I am using the profile marked as the one suitable for my
monitor (FP202w.icm).

I would appreciate any help you can offer, or if you can steer me in the
direction of help or learning I would be most greatful.

thanks

Chuck

Re: Printer colors are not true
The way I go about doing the task you mention --
Obtain a reference photograph I use a "Getty" reference
http://www.colourmanagement.ca/images/Getty_Images.jpg
http://www.colourmanagement.ca/resources.shtml
Another possible source
http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/

By using a "reference standard" image, you can adjust a display, and also
adjust a printer if no other tools are available.

I gave up trying to get consistency in monitor setting by using just the
"Mark 1 eyeball". Not needing true "professional" results, which usually
involve CMYK and a bunch of other stuff, I acquired a Pantone "Huey" display
calibrator in order to get the needed consistency.

the news server cnews.corel.com has a group entitled corel.ColorManagement.
This can help illustrate some of the methods and settings that can help.

Most monitors and displays conform to the SRGB standards. Thus, using a
factory supplied generic .icm file may or may not help.

Usually, Cannon consumer printers are SRGB printers, since the printer
driver and hardware does the conversion to a version of CMYK that matches
the printer ink and capability. The printer driver has several means of
adjustment that will make a difference. Please remember that paper plays a
big part.

You did not mention how your printed output does not meet your expectations.
This makes it difficult to provide more focused advice.

In general, Grey Scale and Color Balance are your initial goals.
It's usually best to set the display (and printer) up in a complete SRGB
environment before you get into color compensation/and adustment in a
particuliar application such as PSP.
One of the posters in the corel color management forum has written an
"EBook" on the subject that might be helpful.
http://www.coreldrawpro.com/AllBookstore.htm