OCR Question

Larry

OCR Question
I am running Vista Bus. 32 w/Office 2k7 installed. I am trying to find out
how to scan a document and then edit it say in Word.
I went to the MS website and the link I found there mentioned going to
control panel and in Programs & Features setting up
the Office Document Reader, or something like that. But the directions do
not quite match what I see on the pc.
Also fwiw I have a HP OJ6310 All In One. Without buying a separate program,
say IRIS, is there a way to do what I ask?

TIA

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: OCR Question
Did the HP All in One not come with any OCR software? OCR software is
usually provided by the scanner manufacturer... although I have to say in my
experience that it's not usually very successful. I've found I have to take
more time editing it than I would have done if I'd typed it in manually. If
I'm scanning in documents, I do tend to scan to PDF and edit in Acrobat, but
that program certainly isn't free.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Larry" <larrym6833@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Bus. 32 w/Office 2k7 installed. I am trying to find out
>how to scan a document and then edit it say in Word.
> I went to the MS website and the link I found there mentioned going to
> control panel and in Programs & Features setting up
> the Office Document Reader, or something like that. But the directions do
> not quite match what I see on the pc.
> Also fwiw I have a HP OJ6310 All In One. Without buying a separate
> program, say IRIS, is there a way to do what I ask?
>
> TIA

Larry

Re: OCR Question
Cari,
I guess you aren't familiar w/HP. Have you ever known them to actually give
something for nothing (outside of headaches) .
I did look into OCR from the AIO. It looks to sell the IRIS s/w to go w/the
scanner/printer.
I had seen some of the so called free or low cost progs. on the web, but the
reviews seem to agree
they aren't worth it. Any other ideas?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Did the HP All in One not come with any OCR software? OCR software is
> usually provided by the scanner manufacturer... although I have to say in
> my experience that it's not usually very successful. I've found I have to
> take more time editing it than I would have done if I'd typed it in
> manually. If I'm scanning in documents, I do tend to scan to PDF and edit
> in Acrobat, but that program certainly isn't free.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Larry" <larrym6833@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I am running Vista Bus. 32 w/Office 2k7 installed. I am trying to find out
>>how to scan a document and then edit it say in Word.
>> I went to the MS website and the link I found there mentioned going to
>> control panel and in Programs & Features setting up
>> the Office Document Reader, or something like that. But the directions do
>> not quite match what I see on the pc.
>> Also fwiw I have a HP OJ6310 All In One. Without buying a separate
>> program, say IRIS, is there a way to do what I ask?
>>
>> TIA

Larry

Re: OCR Question
Cari,
For the most part you can disregard my prev. reply.
I went back to HP. It turned out they do have a OCR appl. built in.
It isn't the best in the world. It seems to cut thing off the page.
But w/some more digging I might get it straightened out.
In the meantime I was able to get what I needed. Thanks for your attn.