Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista network printing problem

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2009
vjkelly2001
 

Posts: n/a
Vista network printing problem

I have a Canon multifunction machine hooked up to an XP computer. I can
print to it with two other XP machines and a Windows 7 machine. But
when I try to install the Canon Vista x64 driver on the Vista machine,
it looks for a printer attached to the computer in order to complete the
driver installation and it will NOT find the networked printer. So, the
driver install stops. I have tried hooking the printer up to the Vista
machine and the driver install completes. But, when I go back in and
try to reattach the printer to the XP machine and find the drivers, the
Vista machine won't find the damned drivers. Does anyone have any
suggestions out there. Geez, Vista sucks. (But at least 7 is great)


--
vjkelly2001
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2009
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista network printing problem
On the Vista 64 bit PC, use Add Printer Wizard, and point it to the Canon
printer on the network..... when it asks you to find the location of the
drivers, point it towards the *.inf folder that the Canon install created...
LOCALLY.

If that fails, temporarily attach the Canon printer to the Vista 64 bit
PC... and do the install that way, then put the printer back on the XP PC
and Vista 64 bit will at least know where the drivers are (or should do!).
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"vjkelly2001" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:4a90080cd07c9a4f39ad973f6bec68bc@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I have a Canon multifunction machine hooked up to an XP computer. I can
> print to it with two other XP machines and a Windows 7 machine. But
> when I try to install the Canon Vista x64 driver on the Vista machine,
> it looks for a printer attached to the computer in order to complete the
> driver installation and it will NOT find the networked printer. So, the
> driver install stops. I have tried hooking the printer up to the Vista
> machine and the driver install completes. But, when I go back in and
> try to reattach the printer to the XP machine and find the drivers, the
> Vista machine won't find the damned drivers. Does anyone have any
> suggestions out there. Geez, Vista sucks. (But at least 7 is great)
>
>
> --
> vjkelly2001


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2009
vjkelly2001
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista network printing problem

I already tried to install the printer directly on the Vista 64 PC and
when I try to install the network printer I can't find the .inf file or
folder. I went in and found the drivers for the printer on the Vista PC
but no .inf files or folders there. When I pointed the network install
to the folder where the drivers reside, the network printer install
procedure doesn't load any of the driver files. It only wants the .inf
file or folder. This is a pain in the you know what.

Anyone else out there with any ideas??


--
vjkelly2001
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2009
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista network printing problem
Most likely the name for the x64 driver is different than the name the
vendor uses for the x86 version.



--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"vjkelly2001" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e394f0722510c9843db240aca4f50bf8@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I already tried to install the printer directly on the Vista 64 PC and
> when I try to install the network printer I can't find the .inf file or
> folder. I went in and found the drivers for the printer on the Vista PC
> but no .inf files or folders there. When I pointed the network install
> to the folder where the drivers reside, the network printer install
> procedure doesn't load any of the driver files. It only wants the .inf
> file or folder. This is a pain in the you know what.
>
> Anyone else out there with any ideas??
>
>
> --
> vjkelly2001



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2009
vjkelly2001
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista network printing problem

Yes, the driver does use a different name but I found it and still the
printer install is looking for an INF folder, it would appear, which I
can't find anywhere. It's weird. I installed an Epson printer on
another computer (also XP) and it worked fine with the 64 bit drivers I
downloaded from Epson, but the Canon software just won't work.


--
vjkelly2001
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2009
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista network printing problem
You can only create an RPC connection when the driver on the machine sharing
the printer matches the client OS processor.

You will need to create a Local printer that will basically copy the print
file to the machine sharing the printer using the server service.

Create Local printer, Add Local Port in the format
\\remotemachine\printshare, select the driver name of your OS architecture,
Next ,Next, Finish.





--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"vjkelly2001" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:db962a2b7e66ac4905603b8b35a7a449@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Yes, the driver does use a different name but I found it and still the
> printer install is looking for an INF folder, it would appear, which I
> can't find anywhere. It's weird. I installed an Epson printer on
> another computer (also XP) and it worked fine with the 64 bit drivers I
> downloaded from Epson, but the Canon software just won't work.
>
>
> --
> vjkelly2001



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing Problem -- XP & Vista Network Gordon @ NoSPAM.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-08-2009 05:05
Common Vista Problem - Network printing John Monahan microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 10-30-2008 23:43
Please Help! Problem with printing Vista & XP Network. John Germany microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 03-05-2008 00:28
Network Printing Problem with Vista Richard H O'Keefe microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 01-01-2008 13:57
Network printing problem Hammer microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 07-07-2007 03:51




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:12.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120