Windows Fax "Refreshing"

BobS

Windows Fax "Refreshing"
A client is using Windows Vista Business, sp1 and has been using Windows Fax
& Scan module. Recently (though they don't know just when) the fax module
stopped working. When it is opened, a notice on the Status Bar says
"refreshing" which would imply it is trying to refresh the list of what is
in the inbox data set I would assume. It never gets past this.

If you try to manually generate a new fax, it goes through the motions but
then doesn't "git 'er done".

The modem appears to be working normally. I though it could be a corruption
issue with the MSFax folder or one of the subfolders or files in it. I
tried moving it to a different location. No luck. I tried uninstalling the
Windows Fax module, restarting, and reinstalling to no avail. I tried
deleting the MSFax folder before uninstalling and after uninstalling so a
whole new set of files and folders would be generated. No luck.

If you change down to the Scan portion of the module it seems to work fine.
You can scan, view previous scans. ...

But when you go back to the Fax portion of the module, there it sits,
"refreshing". If you do anything like trying to generate a fax or change
folders or whatever, it basically hangs and you have to get completely out
and restart the system.

I saw one posting on the web that sounded like the same issue. Their
resolve was to change the fax service to manual; restart the system and
start it manually; change it back to automatic; restart the system and then
all was fine. I tried this and that too yielded no resolve.

H E L P!!! Does anyone know what is going on here???

Thanks,

--
Bob Showalter
Packer International

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
Were there any unsuccessful transmissions at any time?
Anything in the Outbox?
Any error messages or info in Event viewer?
Does the Fax Account appear intact in Tools > Fax Accounts?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A client is using Windows Vista Business, sp1 and has been using Windows
>Fax & Scan module. Recently (though they don't know just when) the fax
>module stopped working. When it is opened, a notice on the Status Bar says
>"refreshing" which would imply it is trying to refresh the list of what is
>in the inbox data set I would assume. It never gets past this.
>
> If you try to manually generate a new fax, it goes through the motions but
> then doesn't "git 'er done".
>
> The modem appears to be working normally. I though it could be a
> corruption issue with the MSFax folder or one of the subfolders or files
> in it. I tried moving it to a different location. No luck. I tried
> uninstalling the Windows Fax module, restarting, and reinstalling to no
> avail. I tried deleting the MSFax folder before uninstalling and after
> uninstalling so a whole new set of files and folders would be generated.
> No luck.
>
> If you change down to the Scan portion of the module it seems to work
> fine. You can scan, view previous scans. ...
>
> But when you go back to the Fax portion of the module, there it sits,
> "refreshing". If you do anything like trying to generate a fax or change
> folders or whatever, it basically hangs and you have to get completely out
> and restart the system.
>
> I saw one posting on the web that sounded like the same issue. Their
> resolve was to change the fax service to manual; restart the system and
> start it manually; change it back to automatic; restart the system and
> then all was fine. I tried this and that too yielded no resolve.
>
> H E L P!!! Does anyone know what is going on here???
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Bob Showalter
> Packer International
> (970) 261-8061
> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net

BobS

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
I can't really give you an answer on any of those questions. I assume that
since the software has been uninstalled/reinstalled that the error logs etc.
are now gone. As I said, my client has no idea when things stopped working.
It had been a month or more since they last used it.

I will check the Fax Account this afternoon and get back.

> Were there any unsuccessful transmissions at any time?
> Anything in the Outbox?
> Any error messages or info in Event viewer?
> Does the Fax Account appear intact in Tools > Fax Accounts?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>A client is using Windows Vista Business, sp1 and has been using Windows
>>Fax & Scan module. Recently (though they don't know just when) the fax
>>module stopped working. When it is opened, a notice on the Status Bar
>>says "refreshing" which would imply it is trying to refresh the list of
>>what is in the inbox data set I would assume. It never gets past this.
>>
>> If you try to manually generate a new fax, it goes through the motions
>> but then doesn't "git 'er done".
>>
>> The modem appears to be working normally. I though it could be a
>> corruption issue with the MSFax folder or one of the subfolders or files
>> in it. I tried moving it to a different location. No luck. I tried
>> uninstalling the Windows Fax module, restarting, and reinstalling to no
>> avail. I tried deleting the MSFax folder before uninstalling and after
>> uninstalling so a whole new set of files and folders would be generated.
>> No luck.
>>
>> If you change down to the Scan portion of the module it seems to work
>> fine. You can scan, view previous scans. ...
>>
>> But when you go back to the Fax portion of the module, there it sits,
>> "refreshing". If you do anything like trying to generate a fax or change
>> folders or whatever, it basically hangs and you have to get completely
>> out and restart the system.
>>
>> I saw one posting on the web that sounded like the same issue. Their
>> resolve was to change the fax service to manual; restart the system and
>> start it manually; change it back to automatic; restart the system and
>> then all was fine. I tried this and that too yielded no resolve.
>>
>> H E L P!!! Does anyone know what is going on here???
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Bob Showalter
>> Packer International
>> (970) 261-8061
>> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
Event viewer will not have been cleared. Error messages are error messages.
Post any you get.
Uninstalling and reinstalling WFS solves nothing. Never has.
--
news3BCE63A-01CA-47F3-B646-3F2D20E6395C@microsoft.com...
>I can't really give you an answer on any of those questions. I assume that
>since the software has been uninstalled/reinstalled that the error logs
>etc. are now gone. As I said, my client has no idea when things stopped
>working. It had been a month or more since they last used it.
>
> I will check the Fax Account this afternoon and get back.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Were there any unsuccessful transmissions at any time?
>> Anything in the Outbox?
>> Any error messages or info in Event viewer?
>> Does the Fax Account appear intact in Tools > Fax Accounts?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>A client is using Windows Vista Business, sp1 and has been using Windows
>>>Fax & Scan module. Recently (though they don't know just when) the fax
>>>module stopped working. When it is opened, a notice on the Status Bar
>>>says "refreshing" which would imply it is trying to refresh the list of
>>>what is in the inbox data set I would assume. It never gets past this.
>>>
>>> If you try to manually generate a new fax, it goes through the motions
>>> but then doesn't "git 'er done".
>>>
>>> The modem appears to be working normally. I though it could be a
>>> corruption issue with the MSFax folder or one of the subfolders or files
>>> in it. I tried moving it to a different location. No luck. I tried
>>> uninstalling the Windows Fax module, restarting, and reinstalling to no
>>> avail. I tried deleting the MSFax folder before uninstalling and after
>>> uninstalling so a whole new set of files and folders would be generated.
>>> No luck.
>>>
>>> If you change down to the Scan portion of the module it seems to work
>>> fine. You can scan, view previous scans. ...
>>>
>>> But when you go back to the Fax portion of the module, there it sits,
>>> "refreshing". If you do anything like trying to generate a fax or
>>> change folders or whatever, it basically hangs and you have to get
>>> completely out and restart the system.
>>>
>>> I saw one posting on the web that sounded like the same issue. Their
>>> resolve was to change the fax service to manual; restart the system and
>>> start it manually; change it back to automatic; restart the system and
>>> then all was fine. I tried this and that too yielded no resolve.
>>>
>>> H E L P!!! Does anyone know what is going on here???
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Showalter
>>> Packer International
>>> (970) 261-8061
>>> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net

BobS

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
The event logs (application and system) showed nothing. I caused it to fail
and rebooted but there was nothing there. I assumed those were the two most
likely, but I did look at the others also.

In checking the FAX account, when it comes up to show which accounts there
are, the status shows "Connecting" forever. I guess this is why the console
is "Refreshing" forever.

I tried removing the FAX account and adding a new one. It asks what kind
and I tell it modem; it then asks if I want it to answer fax calls
automatically or notify for skip for now. If I answer with either of the
first two options, it says, "To send a fax, you must first connect to a fax
modem or server ......". So I am guessing the Windows Fax and Scan module
is not connecting with the modem. The modem responds fine to the query
modem commands in the diagnostic tab for the modem properties in Device
Manager.

So I tried uninstalling the modem and letting Windows reinstall it. Results
are all the same as what I have stated here and in previous posts.

Where is the connection/link that allows the software to know/see that there
is a modem connected to the system. That is what "appears??" to be broke.

Thanks for the continued responses and help.

--

> Event viewer will not have been cleared. Error messages are error
> messages. Post any you get.
> Uninstalling and reinstalling WFS solves nothing. Never has.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news3BCE63A-01CA-47F3-B646-3F2D20E6395C@microsoft.com...
>>I can't really give you an answer on any of those questions. I assume
>>that since the software has been uninstalled/reinstalled that the error
>>logs etc. are now gone. As I said, my client has no idea when things
>>stopped working. It had been a month or more since they last used it.
>>
>> I will check the Fax Account this afternoon and get back.
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Were there any unsuccessful transmissions at any time?
>>> Anything in the Outbox?
>>> Any error messages or info in Event viewer?
>>> Does the Fax Account appear intact in Tools > Fax Accounts?
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
Time to check whether this fax modem is on the VHCL.
--
> The event logs (application and system) showed nothing. I caused it to
> fail and rebooted but there was nothing there. I assumed those were the
> two most likely, but I did look at the others also.
>
> In checking the FAX account, when it comes up to show which accounts there
> are, the status shows "Connecting" forever. I guess this is why the
> console is "Refreshing" forever.
>
> I tried removing the FAX account and adding a new one. It asks what kind
> and I tell it modem; it then asks if I want it to answer fax calls
> automatically or notify for skip for now. If I answer with either of the
> first two options, it says, "To send a fax, you must first connect to a
> fax modem or server ......". So I am guessing the Windows Fax and Scan
> module is not connecting with the modem. The modem responds fine to the
> query modem commands in the diagnostic tab for the modem properties in
> Device Manager.
>
> So I tried uninstalling the modem and letting Windows reinstall it.
> Results are all the same as what I have stated here and in previous posts.
>
> Where is the connection/link that allows the software to know/see that
> there is a modem connected to the system. That is what "appears??" to be
> broke.
>
> Thanks for the continued responses and help.
>
> --
> Bob Showalter
> Packer International
> (970) 261-8061
> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Event viewer will not have been cleared. Error messages are error
>> messages. Post any you get.
>> Uninstalling and reinstalling WFS solves nothing. Never has.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news3BCE63A-01CA-47F3-B646-3F2D20E6395C@microsoft.com...
>>>I can't really give you an answer on any of those questions. I assume
>>>that since the software has been uninstalled/reinstalled that the error
>>>logs etc. are now gone. As I said, my client has no idea when things
>>>stopped working. It had been a month or more since they last used it.
>>>
>>> I will check the Fax Account this afternoon and get back.

BobS

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
Well, I don't see it on the VHCL, but it did work at one time in Vista.
Could it have been the advent of sp1??

> Time to check whether this fax modem is on the VHCL.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The event logs (application and system) showed nothing. I caused it to
>> fail and rebooted but there was nothing there. I assumed those were the
>> two most likely, but I did look at the others also.
>>
>> In checking the FAX account, when it comes up to show which accounts
>> there are, the status shows "Connecting" forever. I guess this is why
>> the console is "Refreshing" forever.
>>
>> I tried removing the FAX account and adding a new one. It asks what kind
>> and I tell it modem; it then asks if I want it to answer fax calls
>> automatically or notify for skip for now. If I answer with either of the
>> first two options, it says, "To send a fax, you must first connect to a
>> fax modem or server ......". So I am guessing the Windows Fax and Scan
>> module is not connecting with the modem. The modem responds fine to the
>> query modem commands in the diagnostic tab for the modem properties in
>> Device Manager.
>>
>> So I tried uninstalling the modem and letting Windows reinstall it.
>> Results are all the same as what I have stated here and in previous
>> posts.
>>
>> Where is the connection/link that allows the software to know/see that
>> there is a modem connected to the system. That is what "appears??" to be
>> broke.
>>
>> Thanks for the continued responses and help.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Showalter
>> Packer International
>> (970) 261-8061
>> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Event viewer will not have been cleared. Error messages are error
>>> messages. Post any you get.
>>> Uninstalling and reinstalling WFS solves nothing. Never has.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news3BCE63A-01CA-47F3-B646-3F2D20E6395C@microsoft.com...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
Doubt it. Get a modem that is on the VHCL.

--
> Well, I don't see it on the VHCL, but it did work at one time in Vista.
> Could it have been the advent of sp1??
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Time to check whether this fax modem is on the VHCL.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The event logs (application and system) showed nothing. I caused it to
>>> fail and rebooted but there was nothing there. I assumed those were the
>>> two most likely, but I did look at the others also.
>>>
>>> In checking the FAX account, when it comes up to show which accounts
>>> there are, the status shows "Connecting" forever. I guess this is why
>>> the console is "Refreshing" forever.
>>>
>>> I tried removing the FAX account and adding a new one. It asks what
>>> kind and I tell it modem; it then asks if I want it to answer fax calls
>>> automatically or notify for skip for now. If I answer with either of
>>> the first two options, it says, "To send a fax, you must first connect
>>> to a fax modem or server ......". So I am guessing the Windows Fax and
>>> Scan module is not connecting with the modem. The modem responds fine
>>> to the query modem commands in the diagnostic tab for the modem
>>> properties in Device Manager.
>>>
>>> So I tried uninstalling the modem and letting Windows reinstall it.
>>> Results are all the same as what I have stated here and in previous
>>> posts.
>>>
>>> Where is the connection/link that allows the software to know/see that
>>> there is a modem connected to the system. That is what "appears??" to
>>> be broke.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the continued responses and help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Showalter
>>> Packer International
>>> (970) 261-8061
>>> PackerIntl@qwestoffice.net

BobS

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
I'm looking into the particular modem with Dell now; I find it hard to
believe that they would sell a system with a modem and Vista installed if
the modem was not on the VHCL.

Will get back here when I know more.

> Doubt it. Get a modem that is on the VHCL.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BobS" <PackerIntl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I don't see it on the VHCL, but it did work at one time in Vista.
>> Could it have been the advent of sp1??
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Time to check whether this fax modem is on the VHCL.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax "Refreshing"
You can check the VHCL yourself. If the modem is on it, your recourse is
with Microsoft. If not, it is with Dell.