Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem

lou1296 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem
I would appreciate any and all assistance with this problem.

I am running Vista Business, and was successfully using Windows FAX and SCAN. The F&S software is presently in an awkward and unusable state.

The F&S software will not allow me to configure a FAX Account. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my modem (Zoom 3025C, Conexant chip set). Vista has the modem configured on COM3, and the modem is visible from CONTROL PANEL>PHONE AND MODEM as well as the device manager.

F&S has no accounts configured. When I attempt to add an account, it reports "No modems configured".

I uninstalled the modem driver and the modem software. I tried the same steps using another Agere 56k fax modem, but obtained the same results.

Can anyone recommend a troubleshooting process, for either fixing this, or for resetting the F&S modem database?

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall F&S?

Any/all help would be appreciated....

Lou
Peter

Re: Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem
In Windows Fax & Scan what happens when you open Tools/Fax Settings and look
at the "Select Fax Device" on the General tab - is the modem listed there
and allowed to send and/or receive?

I've found that accounts can't be setup until that is done.

Peter
Toronto, Canada.

"lou1296" <lou1296.3ms408@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I would appreciate any and all assistance with this problem.
>
> I am running Vista Business, and was successfully using Windows FAX and
> SCAN. The F&S software is presently in an awkward and unusable state.
>
> The F&S software will not allow me to configure a FAX Account. I have
> uninstalled and reinstalled my modem (Zoom 3025C, Conexant chip set).
> Vista has the modem configured on COM3, and the modem is visible from
> CONTROL PANEL>PHONE AND MODEM as well as the device manager.
>
> F&S has no accounts configured. When I attempt to add an account, it
> reports "No modems configured".
>
> I uninstalled the modem driver and the modem software. I tried the
> same steps using another Agere 56k fax modem, but obtained the same
> results.
>
> Can anyone recommend a troubleshooting process, for either fixing this,
> or for resetting the F&S modem database?
>
> Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall F&S?
>
> Any/all help would be appreciated....
>
> Lou
>

> --
> lou1296

lou1296 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem
Peter:

Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestion, but did not have success. The "Select Fax Modem" button is greyed out (consistent with F&S's belief that I do not have a modem installed).

I did try to install FaxTalk's FaxServer application. This F&S look-alike installed properly, found my fax modem without difficulty, and operates without a hickup.

I'm pretty convinced that I have some corruption in Windows Fax and Scan's database. If only I knew how to reinitialize the database, or to uninstall/reinstall the software.

Can anyone else help?

Lou
Peter

Re: Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem
You could try running the System File Checker. It may fix it. Start/All
Programs/Accessories right-click Command Prompt and select "Eun as
Administrator". Enter sfc /scannow with the space, click the Enter key.
Or maybe a System Restore to before the problem started.
Not sure what else to suggest as it does look like it's corrupted.

Peter

"lou1296" <lou1296.3n1skf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Peter:
>
> Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestion, but did not have
> success. The "Select Fax Modem" button is greyed out (consistent with
> F&S's belief that I do not have a modem installed).
>
> I did try to install FaxTalk's FaxServer application. This F&S
> look-alike installed properly, found my fax modem without difficulty,
> and operates without a hickup.
>
> I'm pretty convinced that I have some corruption in Windows Fax and
> Scan's database. If only I knew how to reinitialize the database, or
> to uninstall/reinstall the software.
>
> Can anyone else help?
>
> Lou
>

> --
> lou1296

Peter

Re: Fax Accounts doesn't detect modem
That was "Run as Admin...." but I guess you figured that out.