Fax and Scan - Error

Rand011 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fax and Scan - Error
Hello,
I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, as of yesterday ... Our XP pro machines have been connecting to a sharedfax on our server ... Server runs MS Small Business Server 2000.

I have tried to add the fax using 'fax accounts' then 'Connect to a fax on a network' then "\\servername" when it asks for the location ... It will then show up as a valid fax account and show the status as connected ... When I close the window and re-open it, it is now listed as discconnected.

I have perused the forum for similar issues ... But the solutions (that I was able to find) did not work, or were unavailable to me.

Thanks you for your assistance.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax and Scan - Error
Save us all some time. At last tell us which solutions you've tried already
that didn't work.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rand011" <Rand011.3mqq00@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit, as of yesterday ... Our XP pro
> machines have been connecting to a sharedfax on our server ... Server
> runs MS Small Business Server 2000.
>
> I have tried to add the fax using 'fax accounts' then 'Connect to a fax
> on a network' then "'\\servername' (file://\\servername)" when it asks
> for the location ... It will then show up as a valid fax account and
> show the status as connected ... When I close the window and re-open it,
> it is now listed as discconnected.
>
> I have perused the forum for similar issues ... But the solutions (that
> I was able to find) did not work, or were unavailable to me.
>
> Thanks you for your assistance.
>

> --
> Rand011

Rand011 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Fax and Scan - Error
Hello Steve,

Let's see ... I am trying to recall the various attempts I had before finding this forum ... I tried starting/stopping the Windows Fax and Scan service to no avail ... Tried sharing/unsharing the fax from the server itself ... We are receivng/sending faxes, so the fax is functional ...

One possible issue ... The sharedfax is on a server with several other printers on it as well ... Could the Fax and Scan service be attempting to connect to one of the printers rather than the fax and thus produce a disconnected error? From what I can tell, it doesn't appear that the Fax and Scan service lets you select a fax from a list of choices. When electing to print to the Sharedfax the Fax and Scan service begins.

Thanks.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax and Scan - Error
Who's Steve?
This doesn't sound like a fax issue at all. It seems to me that you changed
your OS without considering the fact that Vista authenticates to servers
differently than older OS for security reasons. Vista relies on the logged
on user token and not extra credentials. So, though you may manage to create
a connection to a network share / printer, that is not that way Vista and
WFS RPC work. In older OS (XP and so), the RPC for printer share used to
remember credentials but that option doesn't exist any more as that poses
security concerns. You need to pursue this with your network administrator
or in a networking group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rand011" <Rand011.3mqvk1@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hello Steve,
>
> Let's see ... I am trying to recall the various attempts I had before
> finding this forum ... I tried starting/stopping the Windows Fax and
> Scan service to no avail ... Tried sharing/unsharing the fax from the
> server itself ... We are receivng/sending faxes, so the fax is
> functional ...
>
> One possible issue ... The sharedfax is on a server with several other
> printers on it as well ... Could the Fax and Scan service be attempting
> to connect to one of the printers rather than the fax and thus produce a
> disconnected error? From what I can tell, it doesn't appear that the
> Fax and Scan service lets you select a fax from a list of choices. When
> electing to print to the Sharedfax the Fax and Scan service begins.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Rand011

Rand011 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Fax and Scan - Error
Ahh ... Saw 'Save' ... Then got side tracked then thought it was Steve when I got back. Sorry for the confusion.

A networking group on this forum or others? Any recomendations?

For all intended purposes, I am the network Administrator ... I am also the guinea pig for Vista for the office.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax and Scan - Error
Did you search for a networking group? That's what I'd do.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]