Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?

Travis

Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?
I have an HP 3050 All in One, which doesn't really come with proper
x64 drivers from HP. There is a printer driver which is a bit iffy,
but no scanner or fax drivers.

However, it plugs and plays on my Vista x64 machine. Still no fax,
but it does at least auto-install the printer and scanner.

I also have an XP x64 machine which unfortunately does NOT plug and
play with the HP3050, and no drivers are available online. (For the
scanner).

What I'm wondering is, can I locate the HP3050 scanner driver on my
Vista x64 machine, save it to the XP x64 machine, and install the
scanner via that?

And if so, how?

Travis
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?
You can most certainly try. It usually works the other way round, but I'm
not promising anything!
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Travis" <travismorien@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP 3050 All in One, which doesn't really come with proper
> x64 drivers from HP. There is a printer driver which is a bit iffy,
> but no scanner or fax drivers.
>
> However, it plugs and plays on my Vista x64 machine. Still no fax,
> but it does at least auto-install the printer and scanner.
>
> I also have an XP x64 machine which unfortunately does NOT plug and
> play with the HP3050, and no drivers are available online. (For the
> scanner).
>
> What I'm wondering is, can I locate the HP3050 scanner driver on my
> Vista x64 machine, save it to the XP x64 machine, and install the
> scanner via that?
>
> And if so, how?
>
> Travis

Travis

Re: Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?
On Jan 16, 5:53*am, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <newsgro...@coribright.com>
wrote:
> You can most certainly try. *It usually works the other way round, but I'm
> not promising anything!

So how do I do it? I was mucking around with the device manager
looking for a scanner driver which I could save to a USB drive or
something, but couldn't find a specific file.

Or are you recommending I just put the DVD in the drive and hope that
XP x64 can find the scanner in an auto-search of the disk?

Travis
Travis

On Jan 16, 11:02*am, Travis <travismor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 5:53*am, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <newsgro...@coribright.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You can most certainly try. *It usually works the other way round, but I'm
> > not promising anything!

> So how do I do it? *I was mucking around with the device manager
> looking for a scanner driver which I could save to a USB drive or
> something, but couldn't find a specific file.
>
> Or are you recommending I just put the DVD in the drive and hope that
> XP x64 can find the scanner in an auto-search of the disk?

Well, inserting the Vista disk in the drive when its looking for the
driver didn't work. It didn't find it.

If its possible for me to find the driver on my Vista machine and
transfer that driver to the XP x64 machine, I'd still really like to
know how...

Travis
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can drivers from Vista x64 DVD be copied to XP64 machine?
I'm going to start this by stating I'm just a print guy. No fax, no scan,
just print.

The files on Vista and for all OS going forward are not in a compress flat
file format. The files get installed due to policies and manifests (I'm not
a setup guy either) which is why the installed OS cannot locate the files on
the disk.

I'm not sure how scanners get installed but for printers, all the print
drivers are installed into the driverstore when the OS is installed.

The files are located in \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

the print driver all start with prn[vendor] where vendor is a two
character code.

There is a hpscan directory under the same path so maybe the scanner stuff
is there

This is what I have done for printers

share the directory of the x64 Vista machine
windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository

plug in the device on the XP x64 machine, point to the share and drill to
prnhhp???? . There is an inf file in this directory for the printer, I'm
hoping that the Plug and Play process will read and install all the
components as they are enumerated on the device.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

On Jan 17, 3:06*am, "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <ala...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> share the directory of the x64 Vista machine
> windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository
>
> plug in the device on the XP x64 machine, point to the share and drill to
> prnhhp???? *. *There is an inf file in this directory for the printer, I'm
> hoping that the Plug and Play process will read and install all the
> components as they are enumerated on the device.

Didn't work unfortunately...

Travis