Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems

Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems
We have recently got new hardware and upgraded to Vista. We have also just
changed to fully networked printing.

We are having some printing funnies, but mainly when printing from Excel -
no idea why. Here is a selection of the printing problems we have had:

File-Print: Print dialog does not appear
File-Print/Print: Does not print, no printing message
File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message),
but nothing prints out.
File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message,
which includes some Japanese characters - we have no machines set up for
Japanese), but nothing prints out.
File-Print/Print: When you choose to print more that one copy, only the
first copy prints out
File-Print/Print: Although a different printer is chosen, it prints to the
default printer

We think it's probably a collection of issues, any ideas for any of them
very welcome!

Thanks, K
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems
If it's only Excel that is having the difficulties and other applications
print OK, then it's application specific and should be asked in the Excel
newsgroups/forums. We deal with more general problems in this group, such
as no application printing etc.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"K" <K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have recently got new hardware and upgraded to Vista. We have also
> just
> changed to fully networked printing.
>
> We are having some printing funnies, but mainly when printing from Excel -
> no idea why. Here is a selection of the printing problems we have had:
>
> File-Print: Print dialog does not appear
> File-Print/Print: Does not print, no printing message
> File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message),
> but nothing prints out.
> File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message,
> which includes some Japanese characters - we have no machines set up for
> Japanese), but nothing prints out.
> File-Print/Print: When you choose to print more that one copy, only the
> first copy prints out
> File-Print/Print: Although a different printer is chosen, it prints to the
> default printer
>
> We think it's probably a collection of issues, any ideas for any of them
> very welcome!
>
> Thanks, K

Re: Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems
Thank you for the standard 'Pass the buck' response.

I have found a partial solution - unsurprisingly not in the Excel groups!

This is a known issue with a Windows Vista HotFix available from Microsoft:

I hope the rest of you have better luck trying to get help from an MVP

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If it's only Excel that is having the difficulties and other applications
> print OK, then it's application specific and should be asked in the Excel
> newsgroups/forums. We deal with more general problems in this group, such
> as no application printing etc.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "K" <K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have recently got new hardware and upgraded to Vista. We have also
> > just
> > changed to fully networked printing.
> >
> > We are having some printing funnies, but mainly when printing from Excel -
> > no idea why. Here is a selection of the printing problems we have had:
> >
> > File-Print: Print dialog does not appear
> > File-Print/Print: Does not print, no printing message
> > File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message),
> > but nothing prints out.
> > File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing message,
> > which includes some Japanese characters - we have no machines set up for
> > Japanese), but nothing prints out.
> > File-Print/Print: When you choose to print more that one copy, only the
> > first copy prints out
> > File-Print/Print: Although a different printer is chosen, it prints to the
> > default printer
> >
> > We think it's probably a collection of issues, any ideas for any of them
> > very welcome!
> >
> > Thanks, K

Bill

Re: Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems
You should be aware that Cari and anyone else trying to assist you here is a
VOLUNTEER - not an employee of MS.

As in "real life" abusing people online is unlikely to help you.

"Have a nice day"

PLONK

> Thank you for the standard 'Pass the buck' response.
>
> I have found a partial solution - unsurprisingly not in the Excel groups!
>
> This is a known issue with a Windows Vista HotFix available from
> Microsoft:
>
> I hope the rest of you have better luck trying to get help from an MVP
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If it's only Excel that is having the difficulties and other applications
>> print OK, then it's application specific and should be asked in the Excel
>> newsgroups/forums. We deal with more general problems in this group,
>> such
>> as no application printing etc.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "K" <K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have recently got new hardware and upgraded to Vista. We have also
>> > just
>> > changed to fully networked printing.
>> >
>> > We are having some printing funnies, but mainly when printing from
>> > Excel -
>> > no idea why. Here is a selection of the printing problems we have had:
>> >
>> > File-Print: Print dialog does not appear
>> > File-Print/Print: Does not print, no printing message
>> > File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing
>> > message),
>> > but nothing prints out.
>> > File-Print/Print: Looks like it prints to printer (see printing
>> > message,
>> > which includes some Japanese characters - we have no machines set up
>> > for
>> > Japanese), but nothing prints out.
>> > File-Print/Print: When you choose to print more that one copy, only the
>> > first copy prints out
>> > File-Print/Print: Although a different printer is chosen, it prints to
>> > the
>> > default printer
>> >
>> > We think it's probably a collection of issues, any ideas for any of
>> > them
>> > very welcome!
>> >
>> > Thanks, K

Re: Vista, Excel 2003, HP Printers - various problems
Sorry Cari, and Bill.

I'm a template developer, and I have had months of Windows/Printer
technicians telling me it's an Excel problem, must be something to do with my
templates. Shouldn't take it out on others, I know.

Just glad to finally be getting somewhere