Using fax in small home network

Pedro at DLA

Using fax in small home network
Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that one
that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
Vista.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Pedro, Canberra, Australia
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Using fax in small home network
It is not possible to share any of the Microsoft Fax end user client
software. Never has been. Never will be.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
> them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
> Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that one
> that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
> Vista.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pedro, Canberra, Australia

Pedro at DLA

Re: Using fax in small home network
Thanks Russ.

Do you know of a simple inexpensive program that will do it? (Simple as in
easy to use?)

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> It is not possible to share any of the Microsoft Fax end user client
> software. Never has been. Never will be.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
> > them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
> > Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that one
> > that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
> > Vista.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Pedro, Canberra, Australia

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Using fax in small home network
No, because I haven't the time to stray beyond Microsoft's offers. Hopefully
others here might.
--
> Thanks Russ.
>
> Do you know of a simple inexpensive program that will do it? (Simple as in
> easy to use?)
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> It is not possible to share any of the Microsoft Fax end user client
>> software. Never has been. Never will be.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one
>> > of
>> > them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes
>> > with
>> > Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that
>> > one
>> > that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
>> > Vista.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Pedro, Canberra, Australia

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Using fax in small home network
"Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
> them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
> Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that one
> that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
> Vista.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pedro, Canberra, Australia

As far as I am aware, each computer would have to have an analogue modem
installed, and then each machine would go into conflict with the others
regarding receiving a fax..

Look into buying a cheap fax machine..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

LVTravel

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@remove_mvps.com> wrote in message
> "Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
>> them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
>> Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that
>> one
>> that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
>> Vista.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pedro, Canberra, Australia

> As far as I am aware, each computer would have to have an analogue modem
> installed, and then each machine would go into conflict with the others
> regarding receiving a fax..
>
> Look into buying a cheap fax machine..
>

> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Mike, just to let you know that you can turn off the fax receive capability
of any of the Microsoft Fax programs so there would be no conflict if each
machine is set to transmit fax but only one set to receive.

LVTravel

Re: Using fax in small home network

"Pedro at DLA" <PedroatDLA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hullo. We have four or so computers on a home office network, with one of
> them being used as a fax receiver, using the fax software that comes with
> Windows. We want to be able to send faxes from each computer, via that one
> that is connected to the phone line. It has XP, most of the others have
> Vista.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pedro, Canberra, Australia

Don't believe it can be done with MS products. Google for what you want.
Another way would be to purchase a multifunction, network capable printer
that has fax capability.

Chuck

Re: Using fax in small home network
Some of the Brother network multifunctions have the capability, and come
with basic fax software. I don't know if the software is Vista compatable,
since the unit I was using was used with XP. My laptop using Vista Ultimate
did recognize the scanner and printer parts of the multifunction via an
ethernet connection.