printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp

chris45

printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp
gateway with vista connected to dell 3100 printer & networked to hp laptop
with xp.

i've read chicagotech & ms info, had live chat with gateway, & still cannot
get the xp laptop to print from the vista gateway printer.

any suggestions?

Tom Ferguson

Re: printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp
Try this:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computername\printername
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Mary

RE: printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp
You also have to set up your network as well as printer sharing on the vista
computer in Network and Sharing Center. Note that Vista and XP use different
Workgroup names. Change both of them to one of your own choosing.

"chris45" wrote:

> gateway with vista connected to dell 3100 printer & networked to hp laptop
> with xp.
>
> i've read chicagotech & ms info, had live chat with gateway, & still cannot
> get the xp laptop to print from the vista gateway printer.
>
> any suggestions?

Butler

Tom Ferguson;930163 Wrote:
> Try this:
>
> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
> the
> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
> the
> \\computername\printername
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007

Thank you Tom! Worked like a charm bud. I have been struggling with
this error for a while but your tip seems to have solved this issue for
me.

--
Butler
Tom Ferguson

Re: printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp
I am glad it worked for you.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Butler" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Tom Ferguson;930163 Wrote:
>> Try this:
>>
>> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>>
>> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
>> the
>> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>>
>> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
>> the
>> \\computername\printername
>> --
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007

> Thank you Tom! Worked like a charm bud. I have been struggling with
> this error for a while but your tip seems to have solved this issue for
> me.
>

> --
> Butler

LyndaS

Re: printer on vista; cannot print on networked xp

Hi Tom,

I also followed your instructions which work - Thank You.

--
LyndaS