Error when printing across through a router

Chris Ryan

Error when printing across through a router
I have connected my Acer laptop runnig Vista to my Medion Desktop running XP
using a D- Link router, using the I.P address from the XP computer I can
access theI can access the shared folders and it brings up the Epson SX200
but when I double click it I get the error 0x00000709.

I have printer sharing enabled on the printer and in widows firewall.

Please help
Malke

Re: Error when printing across through a router
Chris Ryan wrote:

> I have connected my Acer laptop runnig Vista to my Medion Desktop running
> XP using a D- Link router, using the I.P address from the XP computer I
> can access theI can access the shared folders and it brings up the Epson
> SX200
> but when I double click it I get the error 0x00000709.
>
> I have printer sharing enabled on the printer and in widows firewall.

Did you install the Vista printer drivers on your Acer laptop? If not,
that's what is missing. Get Vista drivers from Epson for the SX200.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Chris Ryan

Re: Error when printing across through a router
Thanks for the quick response. I do have the drivers installed on the laptop,
I have been swapping usb leads and printing from it before, but wondered if I
could print through the router.
Is it still possible?

Chris Ryan wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response. I do have the drivers installed on the
> laptop, I have been swapping usb leads and printing from it before, but
> wondered if I could print through the router.
> Is it still possible?

I'm not an Epson expert, but with HP printers you need to install additional
drivers to print using a different method. IOW, if you installed the
drivers for USB you need to run the installation routine again and select
"network printer". With HP printers, when you run the installation the
second time it will ask you if you need to install an additional printer
and that's what you choose.

If the Epson install routine doesn't do that, then you can add the printer
as a local printer, new port, TCP/IP, put in the printer's IP address.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Chris Ryan

Re: Error when printing across through a router
Hi again, you're right about the epson setup not having a different
installer, for the printer.
To have its own IP address would it need to be connected to the router
instead of through the usb?

How would I find out the IP address of the printer?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Ryan wrote:

> Hi again, you're right about the epson setup not having a different
> installer, for the printer.
> To have its own IP address would it need to be connected to the router
> instead of through the usb?
>
> How would I find out the IP address of the printer?

Yes, of course to use the printer as a network-connected printer you'd need
to connect it to the router with an ethernet cable. So do this. Then refer
to your printer manual as to how to see what IP address the printer pulls.
Some printers have a menu that allows you to print out system settings,
which will include the IP address. Some printers need you to press a couple
of buttons. I don't know what the method is for your Epson but finding out
shouldn't be hard.

Once you've connected the printer to the router and know its IP address,
open a browser on one of your computers and put that address in your
browser's address bar. This should bring you to the printer's configuration
screen. Or your printer may have a utility. Again, you need to read the
manual! Once you're in the printer's configuration utility, turn off DHCP
and assign an IP address outside of your router's DHCP range. It's usually
safe to assign an address pretty far up such as 192.168.1.200. This gives
your printer a static IP address.

Now you can do the Add Printer>Local Port>New Port>TCP/IP and use the
printer's static IP address. On the machines where the printer is already
installed, you can change the port in the printer's properties (Control
Panel>Printers) to use TCP/IP.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

garywelch

RE: Error when printing across through a router
This is apparently a bug introduced by a Vista update a month or two ago and
affects all printers, it doesn't seem to be related to drivers. My network
printer (attached to a Vista desktop) worked fine from my Vista notebook
until recently. Now, if I try to select a network printer in the set up, it
shows the printer but gives an error if I try to select it. Many old posts
suggest selecting a local printer and manually entering a new port with the
printer path, that does not fix the problem in this case.

If I try to connect to a printer on my Vista notebook from my Vista Desktop,
I get the same error. An XP desktop, however, can connect to a printer on
either Vista machine with no problems.

I'm not sure what update introduced the problem.