how do I get my HP 6310 to scan through the network?

FoolFromHell

how do I get my HP 6310 to scan through the network?

It prints fine over the network, but I cant add the software for it.
When I go to scan printer, it doesnt show up. I'm on Vista x64 and the
CD that came with it only works for XP. I could scan through the network
fine on Vista 32-bit though. Not sure what I did there.

--
FoolFromHell
FoolFromHell

Re: how do I get my HP 6310 to scan through the network?

scanning works if you go to firefox, type in the IP, and scan from
there. but I wanted to scan using photoshop direct or a program for
scanning. Scanning works fine with my hardwired Epson scanner though.

--
FoolFromHell
Bob Headrick [MVP]

"FoolFromHell" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> It prints fine over the network, but I cant add the software for it.
> When I go to scan printer, it doesnt show up. I'm on Vista x64 and the
> CD that came with it only works for XP. I could scan through the network
> fine on Vista 32-bit though. Not sure what I did there.

Disconnect the printer and uninstall it. Next download the full
featured driver from HP at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... oduct=1119598

Run the install and do not connect the printer until instructed to by
the installer.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

CliffW

Re: how do I get my HP 6310 to scan through the network?
Bob

Can you advise?..... I use XP Service Pk3 and have just bought the HP 6310.
It works well via usb, but won't scan via the network. (It works well over
the network from a Mac computer, but not from the PC)
I've had a 2.5 hour phone call with HP, and we did various reinstalls of
different versions of the drivers, but none work via my network. They said
they were waiting for revised drivers from Microsoft, and it is a known issue.
Do you know when such revisions might appear, or of any workaround?
Thanks

CliffW

"CliffW" <CliffW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Bob
>
> Can you advise?..... I use XP Service Pk3 and have just bought the HP 6310.
> It works well via usb, but won't scan via the network. (It works well over
> the network from a Mac computer, but not from the PC)
> I've had a 2.5 hour phone call with HP, and we did various reinstalls of
> different versions of the drivers, but none work via my network.

> They said
> they were waiting for revised drivers from Microsoft, and it is a known issue.

AFAIK the drivers are supplied by HP, not Microsoft.

> Do you know when such revisions might appear, or of any workaround?

I have no visibility into driver release schedules from HP (or
Microsoft).

I do not have a 6310, but does it have a built-in web server? For a
workaround you might try scanning from the built-in web server, put the
IP address of the 6310 into your browser and select the scan icon under
applications. (This works for my Officejet 7410 and Photosmart 2610).

You might also go through the troubleshooting steps here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01577383

"Bob Headrick [MVP]" wrote:

> "CliffW" <CliffW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Bob
> >
> > Can you advise?..... I use XP Service Pk3 and have just bought the HP 6310.
> > It works well via usb, but won't scan via the network. (It works well over
> > the network from a Mac computer, but not from the PC)
> > I've had a 2.5 hour phone call with HP, and we did various reinstalls of
> > different versions of the drivers, but none work via my network.

> > They said
> > they were waiting for revised drivers from Microsoft, and it is a known issue.

> AFAIK the drivers are supplied by HP, not Microsoft.
>
> > Do you know when such revisions might appear, or of any workaround?

> I have no visibility into driver release schedules from HP (or
> Microsoft).
>
> I do not have a 6310, but does it have a built-in web server? For a
> workaround you might try scanning from the built-in web server, put the
> IP address of the 6310 into your browser and select the scan icon under
> applications. (This works for my Officejet 7410 and Photosmart 2610).
>
> You might also go through the troubleshooting steps here:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01577383
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thanks for that, Bob. That's given me a few things to try out.

CliffW

hjk

Re: how do I get my HP 6310 to scan through the network?

Like many others I spent tens of hours uninstalling and re-installing
until I read a tip somewhere to regedit the HP entry from the
HKEY_SOFTWARE. I re-installed and still no luck so uninstalled for
about the 54th time. Then I spent about an hour removing all "hp"
entries from the register. Re-installed and everything works fine.

It seems that any time anything goes into the registry it NEVER gets
removed - at least not by the unistall for hp.

So F3 your way through the registry and remove all "hp" entries - and
that includes the main key entries - not just the sub-entries under the
main key. If one of the sub-keys says it is an "hp" related entry then
removed the top level key.

Also don't forget to remove the "hp"entries from the processes using
task manager - before re-installing.

--
hjk
hjk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/92121.htm