Too many names

ITNews

Too many names
From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number, its
driver's name, its LPD queue name

On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP
address.

Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's the
purpose of it.
On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the print
job to printer's IP address?

Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue name
.... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names?

Thanks in advance!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Too many names
One can only send data over LPD/ lpr protocol on an IPv4 or IPv6 transport.

Each manufacture can designate how to implement the LPD spec, some only
accept data to a specific queue name and others will accept to any name.

So far this you are not really asking a Windows question but rather
something for the printer vendor.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"ITNews" <ITNews@net.it> wrote in message
> From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number, its
> driver's name, its LPD queue name
>
> On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP
> address.
>
> Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's the
> purpose of it.
> On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the print
> job to printer's IP address?
>
> Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue
> name ... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names?
>
> Thanks in advance!

ITNews

Re: Too many names
Hello Mr. Morris.
Sorry, I realize, I asked 3 questions and thank you for answering the 2nd
one.
I also realize that the print queue name is different from the printer queue
name, which I was referring to.

Therefore, my first question is regarding the printer queue names on the
Windows environment, the printer queue names created by administrators.
" Please, what name is used for the server's printer queue name and what's
the purpose of it."

I guess I found the 2nd part of my 2nd question, the purpose of the server's
printer queue name is to resolve the name into the IP address, although I do
not understand how are the A(host) and PTR records entered/updated in the
DNS in an AD environment and if printers use ddns like workstations. On the
other hand, if this printer queue name is to resolve the printer's name into
the IP address why would we experience ghost printers? Don't DHCP and DNS
keep in touch? lol

The first part of my 2nd question though is where I need some help. Out of
so many printer names that I mentioned in my original post, which one is
used for the server's printer queue name, please. Is it the NetBIOS name of
the printer, or could it be any name?

Although it may seem like I have many questions, everything is related to
one thing only: the printer queue name.

Any help / link will be appreciated!

what is the

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One can only send data over LPD/ lpr protocol on an IPv4 or IPv6
> transport.
>
> Each manufacture can designate how to implement the LPD spec, some only
> accept data to a specific queue name and others will accept to any name.
>

> So far this you are not really asking a Windows question but rather
> something for the printer vendor.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "ITNews" <ITNews@net.it> wrote in message
>> From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number, its
>> driver's name, its LPD queue name
>>
>> On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP
>> address.
>>
>> Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's
>> the purpose of it.
>> On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the print
>> job to printer's IP address?
>>
>> Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue
>> name ... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Too many names
The spooler typically connects to the printer name rather than the share
name but one can connect to the share name as well. The share name is used
by the server service to create named pipes to the spooler service.

The spooler uses the printer HOSTNAME to obtain the IP address for the
printer from WINS or DNS entries. Stale entries are always around. Most
printers get the IP from DHCP but some printers do not play well when
updating WINS and DNS. If the NIC for the printer works well with DNS leave
it DHCP. If your running into too many stale entries when the IP changes,
go for static. I'm sure there is more than one person in this forum who
will tell you always use static IP entries for the printers.

The spooler only uses the NETBIOS name of the printer when printing to Local
Ports and resolution is handed over to the network layer when writing data
or querying for valid server name. For most print server configurations,
the NETBIOS name of the printer is never used.

--

> Hello Mr. Morris.
> Sorry, I realize, I asked 3 questions and thank you for answering the 2nd
> one.
> I also realize that the print queue name is different from the printer
> queue name, which I was referring to.
>
> Therefore, my first question is regarding the printer queue names on the
> Windows environment, the printer queue names created by administrators.
> " Please, what name is used for the server's printer queue name and what's
> the purpose of it."
>
> I guess I found the 2nd part of my 2nd question, the purpose of the
> server's printer queue name is to resolve the name into the IP address,
> although I do not understand how are the A(host) and PTR records
> entered/updated in the DNS in an AD environment and if printers use ddns
> like workstations. On the other hand, if this printer queue name is to
> resolve the printer's name into the IP address why would we experience
> ghost printers? Don't DHCP and DNS keep in touch? lol
>

> The first part of my 2nd question though is where I need some help. Out of
> so many printer names that I mentioned in my original post, which one is
> used for the server's printer queue name, please. Is it the NetBIOS name
> of the printer, or could it be any name?
>
> Although it may seem like I have many questions, everything is related to
> one thing only: the printer queue name.
>

> Any help / link will be appreciated!
>

> what is the
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> One can only send data over LPD/ lpr protocol on an IPv4 or IPv6
>> transport.
>>
>> Each manufacture can designate how to implement the LPD spec, some only
>> accept data to a specific queue name and others will accept to any name.
>>

>> So far this you are not really asking a Windows question but rather
>> something for the printer vendor.
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "ITNews" <ITNews@net.it> wrote in message
>>> From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number,
>>> its driver's name, its LPD queue name
>>>
>>> On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP
>>> address.
>>>
>>> Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's
>>> the purpose of it.
>>> On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the
>>> print job to printer's IP address?
>>>
>>> Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue
>>> name ... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

IT News

Re: Too many names
Thanks Mr. Morris,

You seem to be the most knowledgeable person about printing in the
newsgroups.
I am just confused with so many names in printing,
printer name, print name, share name, printer Hostname, printer Netbios
name, queue name, etc.

Happy holidays!

> [...]
>> is used for the server's printer queue name, please. Is it the NetBIOS
>> name of the printer, or could it be any name?
>>
>> Although it may seem like I have many questions, everything is related to
>> one thing only: the printer queue name.
>>

>> Any help / link will be appreciated!
>>

>> what is the
>>
>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> One can only send data over LPD/ lpr protocol on an IPv4 or IPv6
>>> transport.
>>>
>>> Each manufacture can designate how to implement the LPD spec, some only
>>> accept data to a specific queue name and others will accept to any name.
>>>

>>> So far this you are not really asking a Windows question but rather
>>> something for the printer vendor.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:

30515

RE: Too many names

"ITNews" wrote:

> From the manifacture, the printer has a netbios name, a model number, its
> driver's name, its LPD queue name
>
> On the server, the administrator assigns a print queue name and an IP
> address.
>
> Please, what name is used for the server's print queue name and what's the
> purpose of it.
> On the other hand, why do we need the LPD queue name if we send the print
> job to printer's IP address?
>
> Lately, printers manufactures allow any remote queue name for LPD queue name
> .... how does that work compare to the specific LPD queues names?
>
> Thanks in advance!

neerajb@noida.nospamhcltech.com

Re: Too many names
Hi Morris,

I have the requriement to print the pdf files from the .NET applcation and I
am using the following link for the same:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/printi...14#xx3011014xx

the problem with this link is that first it is not the standard code and
also it is printing pdf file in the text format.

Do you know any standard LPD helpers libraries whcih we can use in our
application to print the pdf files.

Thanks in Advance.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > used for the server's printer queue name, please. Is it the NetBIOS name
> > of the printer, or could it be any name?
> >
> > Although it may seem like I have many questions, everything is related to
> > one thing only: the printer queue name.
> >

> > Any help / link will be appreciated!
> >

> > what is the
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> One can only send data over LPD/ lpr protocol on an IPv4 or IPv6
> >> transport.
> >>
> >> Each manufacture can designate how to implement the LPD spec, some only
> >> accept data to a specific queue name and others will accept to any name.
> >>

> >> So far this you are not really asking a Windows question but rather
> >> something for the printer vendor.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Too many names
The first thing you will need is a printer that will consume PDF formatted
data.

Barring that, you need to first convert the data into PCL or PostScript
(some language the printer will understand).

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

<neerajbnoidanospamhcltechcom@discussions.microsof t.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > server's printer queue name is to resolve the name into the IP address,
>> > although I do not understand how are the A(host) and PTR records
>> > entered/updated in the DNS in an AD environment and if printers use
>> > ddns
>> > like workstations. On the other hand, if this printer queue name is to
>> > resolve the printer's name into the IP address why would we experience
>> > ghost printers? Don't DHCP and DNS keep in touch? lol
>> >

>> > The first part of my 2nd question though is where I need some help. Out
>> > of
>> > so many printer names that I mentioned in my original post, which one
>> > is
>> > used for the server's printer queue name, please. Is it the NetBIOS
>> > name
>> > of the printer, or could it be any name?
>> >
>> > Although it may seem like I have many questions, everything is related

Thanks Morris for the quick response.
Do you have any info about any utility which we can use directly with our
..NET application to the pdf enabled printer.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Too many names
no.