Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2008
ricardo.l
 

Posts: n/a
Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?
My printer settings are econo-mode (HP P1005, FastRes) and if I print from
applications like Acrobat reader, or Paint it actually works.

However, if I right-click a file, say a b/n jpg, and select Print a wizard
opens up from which I can only come up with a fine printing, as if the driver
was set to high quality (rather than fast-res).

The only fix is not to use it,...if u know how to set it up correctly it
could be useful. Thanx, Ric
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2008
Bob Headrick [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?
"ricardo.l" <ricardol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:84836DCA-1E5B-412B-902A-23A20B355C20@microsoft.com:

> My printer settings are econo-mode (HP P1005, FastRes) and if I print from
> applications like Acrobat reader, or Paint it actually works.
>
> However, if I right-click a file, say a b/n jpg, and select Print a wizard
> opens up from which I can only come up with a fine printing, as if the driver
> was set to high quality (rather than fast-res).
>
> The only fix is not to use it,...if u know how to set it up correctly it
> could be useful. Thanx, Ric


What application opens when you right click on a picture? In my case
(Vista Ultimate) I get a "Print Pictures" application from Microsoft
that has tabs to select the printer type, quality, paper type and paper
size. In the "Options" area (at the bottom right) are some printer
settings options including "Only show options that are compatible with
my printer. Certain combinations of paper type, paper size, and print
quality may not print will of be available with all printers...".
Uncheck this box, it may give you more printing options (but not
necessarily better prints, depending on your source file.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2008
ricardo.l
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?
> > My printer settings are econo-mode (HP P1005, FastRes) and if I print from
> > applications like Acrobat reader, or Paint it actually works.
> >
> > However, if I right-click a file, say a b/n jpg, and select Print a wizard
> > opens up from which I can only come up with a fine printing, as if the driver
> > was set to high quality (rather than fast-res).
> >
> > The only fix is not to use it,...if u know how to set it up correctly it
> > could be useful. Thanx, Ric


> What application opens when you right click on a picture? In my case
> (Vista Ultimate) I get a "Print Pictures" application from Microsoft
> that has tabs to select the printer type, quality, paper type and paper
> size. In the "Options" area (at the bottom right) are some printer
> settings options including "Only show options that are compatible with
> my printer. Certain combinations of paper type, paper size, and print
> quality may not print will of be available with all printers...".
> Uncheck this box, it may give you more printing options (but not
> necessarily better prints, depending on your source file.


Ok, thank you Bob, here is my follow-up:
building on what you wrote, which is correct and it's what I see too on my
Vista HP, I could made it clear now, and whether or not it's a design choice
it was not apparent to me as a user. Basically, from "Options" area I can
access a printer settings window and I did find out that the Econo-mode
checkbox was UNchecked. So far so good, HOWEVER:
this was unexpected to me because if I open up the VERY SAME window (printer
properties, from Printers window in the CP, rather than from that Print
Pictures application) there my Economode checkbox was marked indeed!

So this explains the different behavior I observed, and to me it's not
resonable, because it is supposed to be a global setting. Once it is set, it
should show up anywhere as the same way. How could I guess it before it's too
late?

Hope you can look into that and confirm this issue, thank you again. Rick


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2008
Bob Headrick [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?


"ricardo.l" <ricardol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:521899CC-A06E-40E3-8963-A784A1337962@microsoft.com:

> > > My printer settings are econo-mode (HP P1005, FastRes) and if I print from
> > > applications like Acrobat reader, or Paint it actually works.
> > >
> > > However, if I right-click a file, say a b/n jpg, and select Print a wizard
> > > opens up from which I can only come up with a fine printing, as if the driver
> > > was set to high quality (rather than fast-res).[snip]

> > What application opens when you right click on a picture? In my case
> > (Vista Ultimate) I get a "Print Pictures" application from Microsoft
> > that has tabs to select the printer type, quality, paper type and paper
> > size. [snip]


> building on what you wrote, which is correct and it's what I see too on my
> Vista HP, I could made it clear now, and whether or not it's a design choice
> it was not apparent to me as a user. Basically, from "Options" area I can
> access a printer settings window and I did find out that the Econo-mode
> checkbox was UNchecked. So far so good, HOWEVER:
> this was unexpected to me because if I open up the VERY SAME window (printer
> properties, from Printers window in the CP, rather than from that Print
> Pictures application) there my Economode checkbox was marked indeed!


Often programs have their own set of defaults separate from those set in
the printers folder. This is common for photo programs (such as
Photoshop Elements) where the default photo printing is typically much
different than normal plain paper printing. All I can say is "that's
the way it is" and you can set your photo printing settings from the
photo print application.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2008
ricardo.l
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Printing using context menu - driver or vista issue?
On dec 24 I have received a notification, but found nothing appended here.
Just in case someone posted something, just to let you know there has been
some problem...


"ricardo.l" wrote:

> > > My printer settings are econo-mode (HP P1005, FastRes) and if I print from
> > > applications like Acrobat reader, or Paint it actually works.
> > >
> > > However, if I right-click a file, say a b/n jpg, and select Print a wizard
> > > opens up from which I can only come up with a fine printing, as if the driver
> > > was set to high quality (rather than fast-res).
> > >
> > > The only fix is not to use it,...if u know how to set it up correctly it
> > > could be useful. Thanx, Ric

>
> > What application opens when you right click on a picture? In my case
> > (Vista Ultimate) I get a "Print Pictures" application from Microsoft
> > that has tabs to select the printer type, quality, paper type and paper
> > size. In the "Options" area (at the bottom right) are some printer
> > settings options including "Only show options that are compatible with
> > my printer. Certain combinations of paper type, paper size, and print
> > quality may not print will of be available with all printers...".
> > Uncheck this box, it may give you more printing options (but not
> > necessarily better prints, depending on your source file.

>
> Ok, thank you Bob, here is my follow-up:
> building on what you wrote, which is correct and it's what I see too on my
> Vista HP, I could made it clear now, and whether or not it's a design choice
> it was not apparent to me as a user. Basically, from "Options" area I can
> access a printer settings window and I did find out that the Econo-mode
> checkbox was UNchecked. So far so good, HOWEVER:
> this was unexpected to me because if I open up the VERY SAME window (printer
> properties, from Printers window in the CP, rather than from that Print
> Pictures application) there my Economode checkbox was marked indeed!
>
> So this explains the different behavior I observed, and to me it's not
> resonable, because it is supposed to be a global setting. Once it is set, it
> should show up anywhere as the same way. How could I guess it before it's too
> late?
>
> Hope you can look into that and confirm this issue, thank you again. Rick
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to add Move To Any Folder, to Right Click Context Menu in Vista WinVistaClub WinVistaClub Blog 0 09-30-2008 19:30
Vista Right-Click Context Menu Items... Ryan Shultz microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 08-30-2007 15:15
Vista Context Menu HrundiBakshi microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 06-30-2007 10:14
Context menu item problem in Vista Daze N. Knights microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-28-2007 23:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120