vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network

brian

vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network
i have 2 computers and one laptop in my home the main computer is xp, laptop
is xp. the hp printer is attached to main computer. my daughters computer is
vista. i can see all computers on the network and had no problem in adding
the printer to my xp laptop, but cannot add the printer to the vista
computer. i have norton on all computers and have removed it and still same
problem. when adding the printer on the vista computer, i can see the printer
but when i add it produces this error "Windows cannot connect
to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)"

can anyone help, it does not seem vista and xp are very compatible

Malke

Re: vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network
brian wrote:

> i have 2 computers and one laptop in my home the main computer is xp,
> laptop is xp. the hp printer is attached to main computer. my daughters
> computer is vista. i can see all computers on the network and had no
> problem in adding the printer to my xp laptop, but cannot add the printer
> to the vista computer. i have norton on all computers and have removed it
> and still same problem. when adding the printer on the vista computer, i
> can see the printer but when i add it produces this error "Windows cannot
> connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error
> 0x0000046a)"
>
> can anyone help, it does not seem vista and xp are very compatible

Vista and XP *are* compatible; you're just missing something. Did you
install Vista drivers on the Vista machine? Get them from HP's website.

Make
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

brian

Re: vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network
i have the disk for the drivers but no sure how to install and make it pull
up for vista
brian

"Malke" wrote:

> brian wrote:
>
> > i have 2 computers and one laptop in my home the main computer is xp,
> > laptop is xp. the hp printer is attached to main computer. my daughters
> > computer is vista. i can see all computers on the network and had no
> > problem in adding the printer to my xp laptop, but cannot add the printer
> > to the vista computer. i have norton on all computers and have removed it
> > and still same problem. when adding the printer on the vista computer, i
> > can see the printer but when i add it produces this error "Windows cannot
> > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error
> > 0x0000046a)"
> >
> > can anyone help, it does not seem vista and xp are very compatible

> Vista and XP *are* compatible; you're just missing something. Did you
> install Vista drivers on the Vista machine? Get them from HP's website.
>
> Make
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

johnK

Re: vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network

I got mine to work like this:
control panel
printers..
add a printer...
**(if you can see your networked printer in "Add a network, wireless or
Bluetooth printer" do this
add a local printer...
turn on use existing port radio button...
...find your networed printer in the pull-down list
then you find your printer by supplier then model and this sets up your
driver loads
when you get to send a test print, and you print the test page AND
you get one, you are in business!
cheers,
john

brian wrote:

> i have the disk for the drivers but no sure how to install and make it
> pull up for vista
> brian

>> > i have 2 computers and one laptop in my home the main computer is xp,
>> > laptop is xp. the hp printer is attached to main computer. my daughters
>> > computer is vista. i can see all computers on the network and had no
>> > problem in adding the printer to my xp laptop, but cannot add the
>> > printer to the vista computer. i have norton on all computers and have
>> > removed it and still same problem. when adding the printer on the vista
>> > computer, i can see the printer but when i add it produces this error
>> > "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
>> > completed (error 0x0000046a)"
>> >
>> > can anyone help, it does not seem vista and xp are very compatible

Go to HP's website from the Vista machine and download the drivers for your
printer. Save them to somewhere you will find them, like your Desktop or
Downloads folder. Double-click on the downloaded file to start the
installation. The printer will be found during installation if you've set
up network file/printer sharing correctly.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: vista computer trying to connect to xp printer on xp network
this is an old error due typically to antivirus software.

E:\>winerror 0x0000046a
1130 ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY <--> 0xc0000205
STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES

You need to reset the IRP values for the server service.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team