Installing old Printers

PT

Installing old Printers
Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
days - Vista Ultimate

My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.

When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD with
the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).

I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
printers re-installed. Here are several questions

1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a new
printer?

2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?

3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?

--

PT

Malke

Re: Installing old Printers
PT wrote:

Answers inline:

> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD
> with the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a
> new printer?

It depends on the vendor and the printer.

> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?

Yes, you go to the printer vendor's website and look for Vista drivers for
your specific model printer.

> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?

Can't generalize like that. Some do, some don't. It's entirely up to the
hardware mftr. (printer mftr. in this case) to write drivers for specific
operating systems.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

LVTravel

Re: Installing old Printers

"PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD
> with the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a
> new printer?
>
> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?
>
> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?
>
> --
>
> PT

In addition to what Malke said, Vista just like many previous versions of
Windows has certain printer drivers (granted many are reduced functionality)
for many of the popular printers for many manufacturers. Epson setup in
Vista has drivers for some printers back over 10 years old. HP setup in
Vista still has drivers for many of their old inkjet (500C and others) and
laser printers (4+ and others). You may be lucky to get enhanced drivers
from the manufacturer, but if all else fails attempt to find them in Vista.

Mick Murphy

RE: Installing old Printers
http://www.hp.com/#Product

Click on Support and Drivers, and put your Printer model in to see if there
are Vista Drivers available for it.
If not, you will probably need a new printer.

http://www.epson.com/

--
Mad Mike

"PT" wrote:

> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD with
> the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a new
> printer?
>
> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?
>
> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?
>
> --
>
> PT

Christoph Lindemann

Re: Installing old Printers
If the printer driver where properly signed by the mfg, you should not have
problems installing the drivers under Windows Vista. Windows Vista printing
system is compatibel to plain vanilla drivers from Windows 2000 and forward.
You can get problems if the driver is not properly signed or the mfg has
included other special "features".
Thats for the printer part, in case of all-in-one, you might get problems
with fax, scanner... In your case, I think there is a god chance that you
can download a Vista compatibel driver from HP's website.

--
Christoph Lindemann
Undocumented Printing

> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD
> with the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a
> new printer?
>
> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?
>
> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?
>
> --
>
> PT

Chuck

Re: Installing old Printers
It's likely that the Epson printer has drivers already included in Vista. A
few OEM vesions may not have the drivers installed on the OEM on machine
copy..
The all in ones are a bit more problematic, in that basic printing may be
supported and not fax and scan.

"PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD
> with the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a
> new printer?
>
> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?
>
> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?
>
> --
>
> PT

Re: Installing old Printers

"PT" <xyz@xyz.com> wrote in message
> Newbie - I don't even have a Vista Computer, but one is arriving in a few
> days - Vista Ultimate
>
> My old XP computer drives two four year old printers - one HP all-in -one
> LaserJet and one Epson inkjet.
>
> When I installed these printers on the XP machine, each came with a CD
> with the installation software (drivers, manual PDF, etc..).
>
> I assume I now must get updated CD's or some other arrangement to get the
> printers re-installed. Here are several questions
>
> 1. Do the vendors usually either wash their hands and tell you to get a
> new printer?
>
> 2. How do I get the appropriate software? Printer vendor web-sites?
>
> 3. Generally, do pre-Vista peripherals, and particularly
> printer/scanner/fax machines install without problems?
>
> --
>
> PT

Go to the vendor website.

Bob