Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection

tempgal

Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
Hello --

I hate to add to the collection of problems already posted here but I have
just about exhausted research resources and need help.

Equipment is as follows:

Desktop computer with XP Pro. The desktop is connected to a Westell 2200
via a hub.
An older HP laptop computer with XP Home is also connected to the hub.
The printer is a Minolta 2350EN, which is set up as a network printer via
TCP/IP, is connected to the hub.
Am able to share files and printers on all of these units without
difficulty.

New laptop computer is an HP DV4t, with Vista x64 Home Premium operating
system. It came with Norton Internet Security, which I mention just in case
it is relevant to the problem. UAC is currently turned off.

After nearly a week of effort, I have managed to get the file sharing
working between all three computers but cannot print to the network printer
from the Vista x64 computer.

According to the Konica-Minolta website, the drivers which come with Vista
are what I should be using. Have installed the drivers on the new laptop.
Have added the printer (several times) first as a local printer then
(several times) as a network printer but cannot get any output -- neither a
Windows test page nor a printed page from any application. Either Windows
or an application goes through the motions aand the document briefly appears
in the print queue, after which an error appears which only indicates
Error - Sent to Printer.

Would appreciate any suggestions for what I might try next.

Thanks.

Zan

Patrick C

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
Can you set it up so as to share the printer on the desktop and on the Vista
laptop try doing the following which I found while doing a google search for
a similar problem;

"Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"

"tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello --
>
> I hate to add to the collection of problems already posted here but I have
> just about exhausted research resources and need help.
>
> Equipment is as follows:
>
> Desktop computer with XP Pro. The desktop is connected to a Westell 2200
> via a hub.
> An older HP laptop computer with XP Home is also connected to the hub.
> The printer is a Minolta 2350EN, which is set up as a network printer via
> TCP/IP, is connected to the hub.
> Am able to share files and printers on all of these units without
> difficulty.
>
> New laptop computer is an HP DV4t, with Vista x64 Home Premium operating
> system. It came with Norton Internet Security, which I mention just in
> case it is relevant to the problem. UAC is currently turned off.
>
> After nearly a week of effort, I have managed to get the file sharing
> working between all three computers but cannot print to the network
> printer from the Vista x64 computer.
>
> According to the Konica-Minolta website, the drivers which come with Vista
> are what I should be using. Have installed the drivers on the new laptop.
> Have added the printer (several times) first as a local printer then
> (several times) as a network printer but cannot get any output -- neither
> a Windows test page nor a printed page from any application. Either
> Windows or an application goes through the motions aand the document
> briefly appears in the print queue, after which an error appears which
> only indicates Error - Sent to Printer.
>
> Would appreciate any suggestions for what I might try next.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Zan

tempgal

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
Thanks, Patrick, but still no-go.

As I read of more and more folks having this problem, I am beginning to
think that it is a driver problem.

It appears that I need a 64-bit driver on the Vista x64 machine in order to
use the printer, and it further appears that the drivers provided with the
64-bit version of Vista are not necessarily 64-bit drivers.

If that is the case, both Konica Minolta and Microsoft should be ashamed --
Konica for saying that the drivers provided with Vista will work, and MS for
supplying drivers that are inappropriate.

If anyone thinks that my conclusion is wrong, please do offer more
suggestions!

Thanks again.

Zan

"Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Can you set it up so as to share the printer on the desktop and on the
> Vista laptop try doing the following which I found while doing a google
> search for a similar problem;
>
> "Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
> the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and
> the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"
>

> "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello --
>>
>> I hate to add to the collection of problems already posted here but I
>> have just about exhausted research resources and need help.
>>
>> Equipment is as follows:
>>
>> Desktop computer with XP Pro. The desktop is connected to a Westell 2200
>> via a hub.
>> An older HP laptop computer with XP Home is also connected to the hub.
>> The printer is a Minolta 2350EN, which is set up as a network printer via
>> TCP/IP, is connected to the hub.
>> Am able to share files and printers on all of these units without
>> difficulty.
>>
>> New laptop computer is an HP DV4t, with Vista x64 Home Premium operating
>> system. It came with Norton Internet Security, which I mention just in
>> case it is relevant to the problem. UAC is currently turned off.
>>
>> After nearly a week of effort, I have managed to get the file sharing
>> working between all three computers but cannot print to the network
>> printer from the Vista x64 computer.
>>
>> According to the Konica-Minolta website, the drivers which come with
>> Vista are what I should be using. Have installed the drivers on the new
>> laptop. Have added the printer (several times) first as a local printer
>> then (several times) as a network printer but cannot get any output --
>> neither a Windows test page nor a printed page from any application.
>> Either Windows or an application goes through the motions aand the
>> document briefly appears in the print queue, after which an error appears
>> which only indicates Error - Sent to Printer.
>>
>> Would appreciate any suggestions for what I might try next.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Zan

f/fgeorge

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:46:10 -0400, "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks, Patrick, but still no-go.
>
>As I read of more and more folks having this problem, I am beginning to
>think that it is a driver problem.
>
>It appears that I need a 64-bit driver on the Vista x64 machine in order to
>use the printer, and it further appears that the drivers provided with the
>64-bit version of Vista are not necessarily 64-bit drivers.
>
>If that is the case, both Konica Minolta and Microsoft should be ashamed --
>Konica for saying that the drivers provided with Vista will work, and MS for
>supplying drivers that are inappropriate.
>
>If anyone thinks that my conclusion is wrong, please do offer more
>suggestions!
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Zan

Your conclusions are probably correct AND why VERY few ppeople should
even try 64bit Vista. It is locked down and you MUST have 64 bit
drivers for EVERYTHING!!! Maybe you could go to 32bit Vista instead?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
What is the driver name you are using?. There is no driver included in
Vista from Konica Minolta, Minolta, or Minolta-QMS for a 2350 EN

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> [...]
>>> case it is relevant to the problem. UAC is currently turned off.
>>>
>>> After nearly a week of effort, I have managed to get the file sharing
>>> working between all three computers but cannot print to the network
>>> printer from the Vista x64 computer.
>>>
>>> According to the Konica-Minolta website, the drivers which come with
>>> Vista are what I should be using. Have installed the drivers on the new
>>> laptop. Have added the printer (several times) first as a local printer
>>> then (several times) as a network printer but cannot get any output --
>>> neither a Windows test page nor a printed page from any application.
>>> Either Windows or an application goes through the motions aand the
>>> document briefly appears in the print queue, after which an error
>>> appears which only indicates Error - Sent to Printer.
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any suggestions for what I might try next.

tempgal

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
The full name of my particular printer is Minolta QMS Magicolor 2350EN.

The manufacturer (Konica-Minolta-QMS) keeps changing its company name.)

The 2350 comes in two varieties, DL and EN. The same drivers are used with
both models.

In the list of drivers that appears during the installation process,
Magicolor 2350 conveniently appears under both Konica and Minolta-QMS.

Thanks for checking.

Zan

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the driver name you are using?. There is no driver included in
> Vista from Konica Minolta, Minolta, or Minolta-QMS for a 2350 EN
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Patrick, but still no-go.
>>
>> As I read of more and more folks having this problem, I am beginning to
>> think that it is a driver problem.
>>
>> It appears that I need a 64-bit driver on the Vista x64 machine in order
>> to use the printer, and it further appears that the drivers provided with
>> the 64-bit version of Vista are not necessarily 64-bit drivers.
>>
>> If that is the case, both Konica Minolta and Microsoft should be
>> ashamed -- Konica for saying that the drivers provided with Vista will
>> work, and MS for supplying drivers that are inappropriate.
>>
>> If anyone thinks that my conclusion is wrong, please do offer more
>> suggestions!
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Zan
>>

>> "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Can you set it up so as to share the printer on the desktop and on the
>>> Vista laptop try doing the following which I found while doing a google
>>> search for a similar problem;
>>>
>>> "Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>>>
>>> ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in
>>> the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>>>
>>> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
>>> the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and
>>> the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
the magicolor 2350 driver is PS. Do you have the PS language SIMM installed
on the printer? QMS was always PS, but I saw the downloadable drivers for
XP are PCL and PS. I'll assume it's installed make sure the printer is
configured for AUTO switching PCL to PS and that the PCL language is not
forced as default.

Also make sure that you can ping the IP address of the printer.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> The full name of my particular printer is Minolta QMS Magicolor 2350EN.
>
> The manufacturer (Konica-Minolta-QMS) keeps changing its company name.)
>
> The 2350 comes in two varieties, DL and EN. The same drivers are used
> with both models.
>
> In the list of drivers that appears during the installation process,
> Magicolor 2350 conveniently appears under both Konica and Minolta-QMS.
>
> Thanks for checking.
>
> Zan
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What is the driver name you are using?. There is no driver included in
>> Vista from Konica Minolta, Minolta, or Minolta-QMS for a 2350 EN
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Patrick, but still no-go.
>>>
>>> As I read of more and more folks having this problem, I am beginning to
>>> think that it is a driver problem.
>>>
>>> It appears that I need a 64-bit driver on the Vista x64 machine in order
>>> to use the printer, and it further appears that the drivers provided
>>> with the 64-bit version of Vista are not necessarily 64-bit drivers.
>>>
>>> If that is the case, both Konica Minolta and Microsoft should be
>>> ashamed -- Konica for saying that the drivers provided with Vista will
>>> work, and MS for supplying drivers that are inappropriate.
>>>
>>> If anyone thinks that my conclusion is wrong, please do offer more
>>> suggestions!
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Zan

tempgal

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
Am not familiar with the SIMM component, but definitely the 2350EN is
postscript-capable and that is what I have used in nearly all instances.

Both PS and PCL drivers are installed on the XP machine and both work
properly. The Printers folder shows two separate printers.

Not sure whether the Vista drivers included with the new 64bit system were
supposed to be PS or PCL as there was no designation other than Magicolor
2350.

> the magicolor 2350 driver is PS. Do you have the PS language SIMM
> installed on the printer? QMS was always PS, but I saw the downloadable
> drivers for XP are PCL and PS. I'll assume it's installed make sure the
> printer is configured for AUTO switching PCL to PS and that the PCL
> language is not forced as default.
>

> Also make sure that you can ping the IP address of the printer.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The full name of my particular printer is Minolta QMS Magicolor 2350EN.
>>
>> The manufacturer (Konica-Minolta-QMS) keeps changing its company name.)
>>
>> The 2350 comes in two varieties, DL and EN. The same drivers are used
>> with both models.
>>
>> In the list of drivers that appears during the installation process,
>> Magicolor 2350 conveniently appears under both Konica and Minolta-QMS.
>>
>> Thanks for checking.
>>
>> Zan
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What is the driver name you are using?. There is no driver included in
>>> Vista from Konica Minolta, Minolta, or Minolta-QMS for a 2350 EN
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.

tempgal

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection
Forgot to address pinging: Yes, I can ping the IP address of the printer
and receive a satisfactory response.

Zan

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the magicolor 2350 driver is PS. Do you have the PS language SIMM
> installed on the printer? QMS was always PS, but I saw the downloadable
> drivers for XP are PCL and PS. I'll assume it's installed make sure the
> printer is configured for AUTO switching PCL to PS and that the PCL
> language is not forced as default.
>

> Also make sure that you can ping the IP address of the printer.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "tempgal" <tempgal@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The full name of my particular printer is Minolta QMS Magicolor 2350EN.
>>
>> The manufacturer (Konica-Minolta-QMS) keeps changing its company name.)
>>
>> The 2350 comes in two varieties, DL and EN. The same drivers are used
>> with both models.
>>
>> In the list of drivers that appears during the installation process,
>> Magicolor 2350 conveniently appears under both Konica and Minolta-QMS.
>>
>> Thanks for checking.
>>
>> Zan
>>

>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What is the driver name you are using?. There is no driver included in
>>> Vista from Konica Minolta, Minolta, or Minolta-QMS for a 2350 EN
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>>> rights.

tempgal

Re: Cannot print: Vista x64 / Minolta 2350EN / TCP Connection FIXED!
FIXED IT!

Ladies & Gentlemen --

Thanks to all who spent time assisting me. I can now print.

The problem was caused by Norton Internet Security, or rather, my lack of
knowledge about the program. My only excuse is that there was no
accompanying documentation with the computer.

Once the NIS settings were edited so that the IP address of the printer was
designated Full Trust, Voila!

In addition, I messed up on Patrick's instructions. When he told me to try
the UNC path to the printer, I had the computer name right but was using the
wrong printer name. It has to be the Shared Name, so instead of Magicolor,
it needed to be Printer3.

It's just amazing what you learn when you keep researching.

Thanks again.

Zan